Others Joining The "Fixed" Bandwagon

bigunreal

Mentor
I googled "nfl games are fixed" the other day, just to see if anyone else out there shared my views. To my astonishment, there were several pages of cogent observations akin to my own. One web site, in particular, was very impressive.

Here't the link, for those of you who are interested: http://www.thefixisin.net/

Try reading the book by bernie parrish! The title is "they call it a game!" It' a real eye opener about the NFL! Parrish played for the browns and the oilers... As i recall he said football was not fake! But it was fixed......

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't know if they're fixed, but the inexplicable coaching decisions, poor play on the field, and bad calls by the refs have been enough to turn me off. Add in the mind-numbing level of advertising, and it's enough that I haven't watched an entire game all season long.

I have also begun to feel similarly about mixed martial arts. Match-ups based on dollars rather than ability, the constant hype of 'urban' fighters and imagery, and again, inexplicable calls by refs and judges is almost enough for me to turn off the TV altogether.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
I don't know if they're fixed, but the inexplicable coaching decisions, poor play on the field, and bad calls by the refs have been enough to turn me off. Add in the mind-numbing level of advertising, and it's enough that I haven't watched an entire game all season long.

I have also begun to feel similarly about mixed martial arts. Match-ups based on dollars rather than ability, the constant hype of 'urban' fighters and imagery, and again, inexplicable calls by refs and judges is almost enough for me to turn off the TV altogether.

Ditto here on MMA WS. Some calls/misses by refs ("Maggotagotti's" point deduction from Lesnar (vs. Mir)), pushing the affletes (Bimbo Lice), & terrible decisions by judges (ala Bisping vs. Hamill, Cerrone vs. Henderson, etc.).

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

bigunreal

Mentor
Saw the odious Mike Golic go absolutely balistic on this morning's "Mike and Mike" show, in regards to Tim Donaghy's allegations. Donaghy is a very, very brave man. It's a wonder he's still breathing.

If any of you saw Golic's display, it was pretty obvious how important this subject is to even imbecilic ex-jocks like him. They are getting nervous because a lot of us now realize what a charade these "sports" have become.

Europe

Mentor
I remember journalists in the 90's ,when the Bulls were on their run, were talking about the NBA extending series and favoring teams, so this is nothing new. I would like to see some of those articles from the 90's now.

Bronk

Mentor
I watched Tim Donaghy's interview on 60 minutes not long after reading a bunch of comments about how the BCS is fixed.

There is precident fox fixing basketball. Some college NY players were busted for it in the late 1940s or early 50s.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I'm still not sold on the idea. Now the $$ and interests involved would argue that the fix is indeed "in", and I can vaguely imaging a cabal of owners, coaches and referees (hundreds of them) all lockstep in a giant conspiracy, with none of them breathing a word of it, but how do they get thousands of INDEPENDENTLY THINKING athletes to suddenly fall in line? Where is the giant mind-tranferance machine that coerces everyone to be on board?

REDNOSE

Guru
Hey Bigunreal-
It's off the topic, but I'm curious to know who is in your profile picture. He reminds me of that old Louisiana governor Huey Long.

GWTJ

Mentor
Saying 'The NFL is fixed' is a huge huge statement and should only be said with some serious proof to back it up. That said, I do agree that it can and has been tampered with on occasion. I couldn't say when or what games or what teams nor could I say why there was tampering going on. But it does seem unavoidable. But it seems impossible for the NFL to be like Wrestling, where every match is decided ahead of time.

I think other sports as well have been tampered with. Again it's hard to be specific. I think the Yankees intentionally lost on the road in the World Series so they could win at home. Perhaps to get the extra home crowds dollars. A.J. Burnett started for the Yankees in Game 5 and was horrible. Could the owner have talked to him before the game and given him a bonus to take one for the team. Burnett had dominated the Phillies in Game 2. Going 8 strong innings.

I have seen other playoff teams do this as well.

It would be awesome to know the reality of the whole thing, that's for sure.

bigunreal

Mentor
Rednose- that is indeed Huey Long in my avatar. One of my heroes.

FootballDad- I don't think that any NFL players would have to officially know games are fixed. And even if all of them are told the truth when they sign their rookie contracts, what 21-22 year old is going to give up a dream like that, not to mention the incredible money and perks, on some kind of principle? And even if they were somehow so outraged that they wanted to expose everything, where would they go to do that? One of the myriad of jock sniffing reporters, who cover up the injustices of the Caste System and every other sordid detail about pro sports? To the t.v. networks? The same ones who cover up and/or distort virtually everything of significance?

I won't repeat what I've said in other posts here. Suffice to say that I consider just about everyone associated with pro (and big time college) sports to be at best compromised in some way. All those who wield true power in the NFL, NBA, MLB and the NCAA are hopelessly corrupt, imho. I think the incredible and indefensible discrimination built into the Caste System proves this quite clearly.

Charlie

Guru
The downside of large scale fixing, especially for purposes of social engineering, is too great. Much of the interest in sports stems from gambling. For gambling to be a profitable business it must be seen as having a high degree of randomness.

This isn't to say there aren't tacit agreements to promote non-whites or teams from certain cities. But if the pattern is too predictable then interest would wane.