Old man guns down robbers

Bart

Hall of Famer
Interesting story of self defense. The Amren readers have made some excellent points in the comments section.Typically stupid remarks by the the Negro Granny.

[url]http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2007/07/subway_customer .php[/url]

Some are calling a former U.S. Marine a hero for shooting two menâ€â€￾killing oneâ€â€￾during the botched robbery of a sandwich shop in Plantation. But the men's friends and family want to know how he could gun them down and not be charged.

John Lovell had just finished dinner at about 11: 15 p.m. Wednesday when, Plantation police say, two men armed with guns rushed inside a Subway shop and demanded cash. After robbing the store, the men turned to Lovell. They wanted his money, police said.

But like his attackers, Lovell was armed.

The retired military man opened fire, shooting dead Donicio Arrindell, 22, of North Lauderdale, and critically injuring Fredrick Gadson, 21, of Fort Lauderdale.

Lovell, 71, of Plantation, has a valid concealed weapons permit and is not expected to be charged in the shooting, said police spokesman Detective Robert Rettig. Gadson, however, faces multiple felony charges that could include murder, he said. Under Florida law, anyone who commits a felony such as armed robbery resulting in a death can be held accountable for the capital offense.

{snip}

Lovell, a retired Pan-Am and Delta Airline pilot, has held a concealed weapons permit since September 1990. Three months earlier, Plantation police had arrested him for having a loaded .9 mm and three extra clips behind the driver's seat of a Corvette without proper permits for the gun. The Broward State's Attorney's Office declined to file charges in that case.

According to a police statement, Arrindell ordered Lovell to hand over his wallet. He intentionally dropped it on the floor and refused to pick it up, saying he was afraid. That's when Arrindell ordered him into the women's restroom.

"The victim believed he would be executed and when he noticed [Arrindell] distracted ... reached behind his back, removed his loaded .45 caliber handgun from his holster and fired seven rounds," the statement said.

Arrindell was struck twiceâ€â€￾once in the head and once in the stomachâ€â€￾and collapsed. Officers found him face down, wearing sunglasses and a bandanna, with a gun near his left hand. Gadson was hit in the chest and ran from the store. Police dogs found him in the hedges of a nearby office building and bank.

{snip}

But Gadson's grandmother, Rosa Jones, said: "He ain't no hero. He is a murderer and God will serve justice."

She and her husband, Ivory Jones, pastor of a Fort Lauderdale church, sat on their front porch in Fort Lauderdale on Thursday wondering how a man could shoot two people and not go to jail.

They said their grandson sometimes hung with the wrong crowd but never got into legal trouble. According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, he has no arrest record. They said Gadson, who never finished high school, got tired of low-wage jobs and was pursuing his GED.

Arrindell, friends said, found himself in a similar situation: no high school diploma and working odd jobs. So he went back to school. He was a man with past troubles, including a 2004 arrest for carrying a concealed weapon, but he was improving his life, they said. He recently bought a car and had a girlfriend.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
That old guy is a hero.

To the PC system that means he has to be destroyed. They will go after that man with a vengence.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Another story of a white man kills his attackers.Very unsettling story.

[url]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-flpbord en0626pnjun26,0,1334037.story?coll=sfla-news-palm [/url]

Jury acquits man who gunned down 2 men threatening him near West Palm

By Nancy L. Othón
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted June 26 2007, 8:47 AM EDT

<DIV =dottedrule>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =text vAlign=top>WEST PALM BEACH -- His house was burned down and his four dogs were euthanized as he sat in jail awaiting his murder trial, but now Norman Borden at least has his freedom.

Borden's eyes welled up with tears as he heard Monday's verdict: not guilty of murder, not guilty of attempted murder. In the back row of the courtroom, family and friends of slain Christopher Araujo wept.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>http://cofcc.org/?p=397

All along, Borden had insisted he had to shoot to save his own life that early October morning when he was confronted with a Jeep heading straight toward him as he walked his dogs outside his home near West Palm Beach.

The Jeep narrowly missed him, and Borden emptied his gun, firing off 14 rounds.

Inside the SUV sat three men who had been intent on beating up the 44-year-old. One crime-scene photo showed a bat resting against the leg of Saul Trejo, who the prosecutor said was a member of the street gang Sur 13.

Trejo, 21, and Araujo, 19, were killed.

After two hours of deliberation, jurors agreed that Borden's use of deadly force was justified, acquitting him of two counts of first-degree murder, one count of attempted murder and one count of shooting into an occupied vehicle.

Keeping with extremely tight security during the trial, nearly two dozen deputies, including several in plainclothes, were called into the courtroom for the verdict. Several deputies stood behind Borden, who has been the victim of death threats and arson

Borden's safety was of such concern Monday that Public Defender Carey Haughwout declined to disclose his future plans, saying she had taken measures to ensure he would not be walking out of the Palm Beach County Jail alone.

"He's very relieved, he's just very relieved," Haughwout said.

"He recognized his life was on the line, but he always had confidence the jury would do the right thing."

For the past eight months Borden has been behind bars, he has been unable to deal with the "amazingly traumatic" experience of that night, Haughwout said.

"I think it's going to be a long process," she said.

Borden's story serves as a sad commentary on the influence of gangs in a community such as Westgate where Borden lived, Haughwout added.

In the end, the 2005 Florida law that allows a person to use deadly force when faced with bodily harm and eliminates the duty to retreat probably was not even a factor in the verdict, both Haughwout and prosecutor Craig Williams said.

"Norman could not have retreated safely," Haughwout said. "I don't think there's any question that the shots were all a continuous response to what he was presented with at the time."

Williams, who argued that only Borden's first five shots could be construed as self-defense, said it was difficult to overcome the evidence that even the surviving victim, Juan Mendez, conceded the men planned to beat Borden.

Williams said he was upfront with the jury about the reputations of the men involved as well as their plans to hurt Borden because he wanted a fair trial.

"The truth hurt me in this case," said Williams, who expressed no surprise at the verdict. "They were bringing a lot of violence to this defendant. It's tough to put yourself in that guy's shoes and say he didn't act appropriately. It's really tough."

Ultimately, Williams said, the self-defense issue was one for the community, not prosecutors, to determine. He said it would be a tragedy if Borden became a victim of another crime in retaliation for the shootings.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Why was this guy even prosecuted? And only the first five shots were justified?
smiley7.gif

I wonder if they have arrested the thugs who burned his house down?
smiley7.gif

I wonder if they have arrested the thugs who killed his dogs?
smiley7.gif

smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif

LabMan

Mentor
At an Albertsons in San Antonio texas,another White man defended himself,and his wife,by legally being in possesion of a 45 caliber hand gun.America awakens!

guest301

Hall of Famer
I was already planning to on taking a CCW course this Saturday to obtain my concealed weapons permit. These stories just confirm in my mind the reasons for getting a permit. Get this story guys, I will actually be taking the class at my church. We have a retired cop who teaches the course every three months at my church and usually we get about 150-200 people from the surrounding areas to come in and take the course. Everyone of them that I have seen have been white.