Now white QBs just "manage" the game

G

I have yet to hear that a black quarterback was a "game manager".

It is, of course, code for a quarterback who people think can never do anything on purpose to make his team win, and who's only effect on the game is whether or not he causes his team to lose by F'ing up.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think I have heard McNair called that once before, and maybe another black QB as well. But your point is well taken nevada, it hardly ever happens.

Bart

Hall of Famer
A good QB must be acompetent game manager, but the word is often used to describe a player with limited ability.

This four year old article is very illustrative.

http://www.flakmag.com/sports/cook040209.html

Bob Cook's weekly ruminations on sports appear Mondays in Flak.

The big question that swirled around the NFL's Pro Bowl on Sunday â€â€￾ other than why bother gathering the league's stars for a half-assed game in which the object appears to be not getting injured â€â€￾ was "Why wasn't two-time Super Bowl MVP Tom Brady picked to play?"

To be Socratic about it, let's answer that question with a question. When the top CEOs join the gathering for the World Economic Forum, do they invite the manager of your local Wal-Mart?

That's what Brady is as an NFL quarterback: a good manager. That's not me saying it. That's his teammates, coaches and recent Super Bowl opponents, the Carolina Panthers. The Patriots have won two Super Bowls in the past three years, and Brady has gotten the MVP award for each of those, essentially, for not screwing up.

"I knew it was going to be an uphill battle because Tom Brady is such a good game manager," Carolina receiver Ricky Proehl told reporters after the Super Bowl, referring to how Brady lucked out by starting New England's game-winning drive from its own 40-yard line because the Panthers' John Kasay had shanked the kickoff out of bounds.

(snip)

A few quarterbacks have overcome these handcuffs. Peyton Manning generally gets the final word on play-calling, which is why he does all that chicken-dancing at the line of scrimmage. Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb can leave you breathless with their ability to salvage a broken-down play. And, of course, there's the new fan god, Michael Vick. All of these quarterbacks were in Hawaii Sunday except for Vick, who would have been had he not missed most of the 2003 season with a leg injury.

But most quarterbacks are molded into game managers, and why not? It seems to work. Here are the Super Bowl winning quarterbacks in the new millennium â€â€￾ Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Tom Brady (twice). All game managers, all types who are assigned to read "Who Moved My Cheese" along with the playbook. No doubt, coaches like game managers because merely not screwing up can bring a team wild success, but unless you're a fan of a particular manager's team, who cares?

(snip)

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wow. Just wow.

Tom Brady = Trent Dilfer??????

smiley5.gif

smiley29.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Tom Brady a game manager? What a buffoon this "journalist" is. He may be the greatest QB of all-time when it is all said and done. This writer fawns over anything black.

New Ravens backup Troy Smith is a game manager, but will he be called one? Vince Young and Tarvaris Jackson don't even qualify as game managers right now, they just plainly suck. Jason Campbell is often a game manager, but looked real good last game, but most of the top black QBs are inconsistent. Heck even Gerrard could be considered a game manager when you look at his passing stats, not running ability.

That leaves one passing demon black QB...Donovan McNabb...We'll see what happens with the new caste God Jamarcus, so far he hasn't looked good.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
BTW, I hear all the time about Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer being game managing Super-Bowl winners...What about Doug Williams the first and only black QB to win?

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Vince Young is about to manage himself of the NFL. While the caste waterboys mean "game manager" as in clipboard manager "plus", I see it as an understanding of X's & O's, reading defenses, etc. Whereas caste "gods" like Randall Cunningham & Mike "Mongrel" Vick couldn't read a pop-up book, much less read defenses or master an NFL playbook!
smiley36.gif

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Bart:

Without exaggerating in the least, I cannot believe someone wrote that and tried to be serious. It is amazing the brain dead sludge that scratched that piece of writing together is a professional sports writer.

I refuse to watch NFL football. But sometimes, if the conditions are compelling enough, I will waste so time on it.Last season the only bit of NFL football I was willing to watch was when the Colts or Patriots played.

Even a casual observer such as myself cannot hold back a grin or a chuckle when I see the subtle, clever, and cunning way Manning and Brady achieve their success. The writer that wrote that article would not know a quarterback if he saw one.
Edited by: Maple Leaf