Not all 40 times are created equal..

SteveB

Mentor
The recent rants from Brutal about black athletes that ran fast 40 yd dash times got me thinking about what has to be the most overrated measure of athletic ability.

First of all, unlike in track events, there are no differentiations given to times run based on track conditions, wind conditions, altitude, or hand timed. So when someone says that Bo Jackson ran a 4.19, we have no idea if he was running on a track or grass, with or without starting blocks, hand or electronic time, with or without a tailwind, etc.

From my experience, a hand timed 40 is going to be 0.1-0.2 faster than an electronic timed 40. Given that, there are still ways to fudge an electronic 40 time. For example, when I was running 40s in college, we had an electronic timer that consisted of a starting pad to start the timer and a light beam at the finish to end the timer. Unlike in track where the timer is started by the starters pistol, the starting pad was a device that you put your hand on while in a starting stance and the clock started when you lifted your hand. Well it didn't take long for guys to figure out that if you put your front foot on the starting pad and start in a standing position, the timer wouldn't start until after you took your first step from the starting line. That was enough to shave 0.1 sec from your time. Remember we are talking about 0.1 sec, which seems like a lot, but it is the time it takes to blink your eyes. Same goes for the beam at the finish line. If the beam is set low, you could make a long stride at the finish, break the beam with your foot, and shave another 0.05-0.1 sec. My point is there are tricks out there to run fast times that have nothing to do with speed, so when you see a fast 40 time, take it with a grain of salt.

I prefer to judge speed by watching it on the field. When I watch Matt Jones' highlight film, I don't need to know his 40 time to know that the guy is incredibly fast. When I see Tim Dwight run past LaDainian Tomlinson in the open field to throw a downfield block, I don't need 40 times to tell me that Dwight is a lot faster than Tomlinson. When I see Brandon Stokley run past DBs and catch TD passes, I don't need to see a comparison of 40 times to know that Stokley is faster than the DBs.

Coaches, scouts, and fans worship the 40 yd dash as the only measure of speed. I tend to think that way too much emphasis is given to that one measurement.

sunshine

Mentor
Excellent all around points Steve. It helps further explain why many college football players skip the NFLcombine 40 lets say, which is more controlled and less likely for big fudging we hope--although again it is still an imperfect science, and opt for workouts on campus where often conditions are optimal,ie spongy speed tracks like the one at Virginia Tech where half the team runs a 4.3 it seems.I think the international track and field events like the olympics are the closest we will get to perfection and that is not saying much when you think about the variations of tracks and weather conditions etc... For example the track at the 1996Atlanta Summer Olympics was way too fast but they did thaton purpose.It is too bad the media doesn't approach these 40 times with a grain of salt.Too often I hear announcers spout off that a guy's time is 4.2 etc. ..If I was a journalist or announcer I would take the prudent approach. Sadly that approach is not used enough these days where everything is hype.Like "Michael Vick can leap a small building in one single bound".

SteveB

Mentor
You're right about the NFL combine. It is the closest thing to a controlled environment. It is indoors (no wind), on astroturf (no rubber track, track spikes, or starting blocks), and it is electronically timed. I remember a few years ago when Michael Bennett was in college, he was being hyped as the fastest college football player, with good reason. He had won the NCAA 100m with a time in the 10.1 range. He went to the NFL combine and ran a very respectable 4.40 40 time. Every since then, I have been very skeptical of times that were much below 4.40.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Great topic and great posts. I would agree that the 40 has been rendered almost meaningless through different timing methods and endless hype. NFL running backs, receivers and d-backs almost always are said to have 40 times ranging from 4.40 to 4.60, with the occasional player supposedly faster. Yet when you watch games it's obvious that there are huge differences in speed between various players at these positions, more than two tenths of a second over 40 yards. The Combine seems to be the most reliable way to time players, but it is restricted to a relatively few players each year.

Anyway, there's speed and there's knowing when and how to use it on a football field. The 40 and the ways it can be manipulated both inthe way it's timedand in the realm of media propaganda is more valuable to the Caste System as a psychological weapon than it is an indicator of how good a football player someone is.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
In all the debates that have been raging on Caste Football the past month or so, I have advocated every time that speed isn't the number one consideration when determining who will make a great football player. Whether its 40 times or what race has the most sprinters who run 100-meters in under 10 seconds, they're all really kinda meaningless when it comes to predicting who will be great on the gridiron. The fact that the NFL's all-time leading rusher ran a 4.7 should have squelched that argument a long time ago anyway.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
4.7? That's whitey type speed! He must have not been trying his hardest, because we all know that blacks are faster than whites, and that most black running backs run sub 4 second 40's.
smiley36.gif

SteveB

Mentor
Shogun is right. One of our best CB was a guy named Mickey Washington, he went on to play CB at Buffalo for 4 or 5 years. I never saw him run a 40 in under 4.6, yet he was a very good CB. We had another guy who was on the track team with great speed and he got beat everyday in practice by average receivers. CB is as much about technique as speed. If you understand your opponent, read and anticipate the route of the receiver, and don't waste steps, you can be good. If your on a speed receiver, take a deep drop and he can't beat you deep. If you play bump and run, get in his face, use your hands, and stay in front of him, and don't let him get by you. White guys can do this as good as black guys. Of course if Mickey was white he never would have made it to the pros.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good story there SteveB. It proves the point well.

IceSpeed2

Guru
I recall Washington with the Patriots for a bit. What about Ricky Proehl and Chas Gessner?

These guys never underperformed but have been condescended by the NFL
for their speed which is superior to Jerry Rice's speed in
reality. Why 40 yards? Some receivers and backs
/linebackers only need to run 10 yards. Agility is more important
than a raw 40.

There have likely been more successful running backs with speed closer to 4.7 than to 4.4. Also the forty times are thrown around very loosely by announcers and writers.

surfsider

Guru
It is arguable but I think CB in the NFL is the weakest most poorly played position both in terms of coverage and tackling. SteveB's example of Mickey Washington helps to explain why in that NFL coaches today have an almost slavish devotion to 40 times as opposed to a more well-rounded approach to the position.