NFL players are not nutritionists

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Why NFL Players Shouldn't be Nutritionists

When Chicago Bears wider-receiver Bernard Berrian isn't torching defensive-backsâ€â€and my fantasy teamâ€â€he occasionally shares dietary advice with school children. His number one recommendation? Bacon and maple syrup. I know what you're thinkingâ€â€what the? Yeah, I'm calling a foul on this one too.

Yesterday during ESPN's Mayne Event he shared some dietary advice with bunch of school kids. Here's how it went:

Bernard: Hello kids.

Classroom: Hello!

Bernard: Do any of you know what it takes to make it in the NFL?

Redhead freckle-faced ginger-kid: Four-three forty speed?

Kid-giggles.

Bernard: That always helps, but first you have to lay a foundationâ€â€make your body strong. Do any of you know how to do that?

Pretentious kid with overly dramatic delivery: Massive amounts of jumping-jacks?

Bernard: No, I'm talking about dietâ€â€the food you put in your body. Before ever game in college I used to eat bacon and syrup, and I brought some with me. Come on everybody let's eat!

And the crowd goes wild.

What ensued was a melee of animal fat drizzled in hearty helpings of liquid sugar. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these the types of things school food reforms are trying to knock out? It gets worse, here's my favoriteâ€â€well not-so-favoriteâ€â€quote from Bernard:

It's the perfect combination, you should eat it everyday and you'll be in the NFL too.

Sure it works the sugar in the maple syrup gives him lots of energy at the beginiing of the game and when that run out he has the slower burning fat for energy to keep him going.javascript:AddSmileyIcon('
smiley36.gif
')
smiley36.gif