Names we NEED to Take Back/Reclaim...

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I see more Whites giving their kids ebonic-like names and it's dangerous and dumb.

Some people are also starting to think that "Cornelius" and "Darius" (and so on) have black origins, and that is disturbing and incorrect.

So list good, classic White names that must be Reclaimed by our people! I'll start:

Marcus
Calvin
Andre
Darren
Miles
Craig (it's starting to be reclaimed IMO)
Carter
Nate (making some gains)
Vince
Maurice
Cordell (I like this one)
Leon (good, too; short for Leonard or Leonardo)
Warren
Randall
Roman
Benjamin
Nicholas
Victor/Viktor
Vladimir (more blacks are wannabe Russians now...)
Karl
Elijah
Xavier

There are tons more.. so let's see them!
smiley1.gif

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Interesting, Wayne is one I can think of off the top of my head mostly b\c I have an uncle by that name. But a lot of blacks have that name nowadays

guest301

Hall of Famer
Maximus became a popular name among newborn whites when the movie Gladiator came out.

Charlie

Guru
You've got a good point DL. Tyrone comes to mind.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2003/03/07/story781623889.asp

From the Irish Examiner:

"By Sean O'Driscoll

IRISH Americans who name their children after their favourite county could unwittingly be exposing their children to anti-black discrimination.

That's the warning of an American Studies professor after a new survey found that job applicants with white- sounding names are twice as likely to receive a response from employers as those with the Irish name Tyrone, which is heavily identified with black Americans.

A recent study by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Chicago found that the Christian name Tyrone provokes anti-black discrimination even though it had been traditionally associated with Irish immigrants.

The researchers sent out 5,000 resumes to job ads in sales, administrative support, clerical and customer service and found that traditionally white names such Neil, Emily or Greg received twice as many responses from employers as black names such as Tyrone and Tamika.

According to Kimberly Phillips, an associate professor of history and American studies at the College of William and Mary in Virginia, Tyrone became a "black name"Â￾ because of the popularity in black neighbourhoods of the movie actor Tyrone Power, whose name comes down from his great grandfather, Grattan Tyrone Power, an actor from Waterford.

"It is a very popular name with black sports starts and it's far more common among my blacks students that my white students,"Â￾ she said. "It's not too long ago since the signs read ‘No Irish apply', now it's African Americans with an Irish name who suffer the same discrimination."Â￾

Ms Phillips said the name might also have gained popularity in black communities because of its close resemblance to the African slave name Tyro. She said that another Irish name, Tara, was also believed by many Americans to be African.

According to the popular online baby name service, babynamenetwork.com, Tyrone first originated in Ireland at an unknown date and has since become a popular boy's name in the United States.

Ms Phillips said many African names such as Kara have become popular choices for white and Asian-American girls.

"This is just another way for employers to get around anti-discrimination laws. It could target Irish people as well as African Americans,"Â￾ she said."

Interesting how blacks like Kimberly Phillips try to include others in their self-pity party. There were never any 'No Irish Need Apply' signs or ads in the U.S. No one is 'targeting' the Irish (a country with four Irish Presidents; Jackson, Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton). If anything the Irish are targeted for discriminating against precious 'minorities', especially when it comes to union and civil service hiring in major cities.

I doubt blacks were drawn to the name Tyrone because of Tyrone Power. I rather think the sound of the name appealed to them.

Many blacks have Irish Christian and surnames. Partly because these were their slave names, but also because free blacks consciously adopted Irish names.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Charlie said:
You've got a good point DL. Tyrone comes to mind.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2003/03/07/story781623889.asp

From the Irish Examiner:

"By Sean O'Driscoll

IRISH Americans who name their children after their favourite county could unwittingly be exposing their children to anti-black discrimination.

That's the warning of an American Studies professor after a new survey found that job applicants with white- sounding names are twice as likely to receive a response from employers as those with the Irish name Tyrone, which is heavily identified with black Americans.

A recent study by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Chicago found that the Christian name Tyrone provokes anti-black discrimination even though it had been traditionally associated with Irish immigrants.

The researchers sent out 5,000 resumes to job ads in sales, administrative support, clerical and customer service and found that traditionally white names such Neil, Emily or Greg received twice as many responses from employers as black names such as Tyrone and Tamika.

According to Kimberly Phillips, an associate professor of history and American studies at the College of William and Mary in Virginia, Tyrone became a "black name"Â￾ because of the popularity in black neighbourhoods of the movie actor Tyrone Power, whose name comes down from his great grandfather, Grattan Tyrone Power, an actor from Waterford.

"It is a very popular name with black sports starts and it's far more common among my blacks students that my white students,"Â￾ she said. "It's not too long ago since the signs read ‘No Irish apply', now it's African Americans with an Irish name who suffer the same discrimination."Â￾

Ms Phillips said the name might also have gained popularity in black communities because of its close resemblance to the African slave name Tyro. She said that another Irish name, Tara, was also believed by many Americans to be African.

According to the popular online baby name service, babynamenetwork.com, Tyrone first originated in Ireland at an unknown date and has since become a popular boy's name in the United States.

Ms Phillips said many African names such as Kara have become popular choices for white and Asian-American girls.

"This is just another way for employers to get around anti-discrimination laws. It could target Irish people as well as African Americans,"Â￾ she said."

Interesting how blacks like Kimberly Phillips try to include others in their self-pity party. There were never any 'No Irish Need Apply' signs or ads in the U.S. No one is 'targeting' the Irish (a country with four Irish Presidents; Jackson, Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton). If anything the Irish are targeted for discriminating against precious 'minorities', especially when it comes to union and civil service hiring in major cities.

I doubt blacks were drawn to the name Tyrone because of Tyrone Power. I rather think the sound of the name appealed to them.

Many blacks have Irish Christian and surnames. Partly because these were their slave names, but also because free blacks consciously adopted Irish names.

Interesting.

Julius, Isaiah, Russell, Dante, Raymond, Jermaine, Wesley, Willie, Jesse, Ralston, Duane, Howard, Jay, Lionel, Nathaniel, Percy, Terrence, Walter, Carlton, Oscar, Ernie...

also come to mind.

EDIT: Sounds like a negro-ball team!!
smiley2.gif

Edited by: Deadlift

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
The Hock said:
Hey what the hell Deadlift. My name is on that list.

My Dad has some splainin' to do.

What do you mean?

I would like to say a few things about the name "Jordan" - for example. Blacks were trying very hard to monopolize it (Michael Jordan may have had something to do with it), but they FAILED! Of course, it's popular among Mormons, but non-Mormon Whites have kept it alive as well. White Jordan's are doing well right now, so it hardly matters that there are blacks with that name. That's my 2-cents worth.

When I look White prospects in Rivals, I see Whites sticking with names like Taylor, Logan, Kyle, Matt, Luke & Chase -- and it's depressing. In a sense, it becomes so vanilla. We need to regain our creativity and heritage - and part of that will be achieved by reclaiming the numerous names we are losing. What's wrong with Lucas/Lukas instead of Luke. We need to branch-out, period.

The Hock

Master
Deadlift said:
The Hock said:
Hey what the hell Deadlift. My name is on that list.

My Dad has some splainin' to do.

What do you mean?

I'm just making a lame joke. Really though, my given name is on your list, and my surname is fairly common in the black community.
So if I were to commit a crime and the newspaper didn't mention my race, a lot of people would surmise that I'm black because my name sounds somewhat black.

The segregation in naming does serve one good purpose. It's a fairly reliable way to ID the race of perps when the media won't. As far as taking names back, they can keep a lot of them as far as I'm concerned.
They're just too ID'd with that ethnicity at this point.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
What about "LeRon", "Luther" & "Leroy"?
smiley2.gif

Highlander

Mentor
One of my relatives just had a baby boy (White, of course) and named him "Desmond".

StarWars

Mentor
Maybe if we name our future kids Xavier they'll stand a chance of being scouted.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
What about "LeRon", "Luther" & "Leroy"?
smiley2.gif

Luther is a dignified name, and could be saved! I also think these names can be saved:

Kendall
Eddie
Bernard
Theodore
Harrison
Jackson
Brayden
Lamont
Quentin
Darnell

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
StarWars said:
Maybe if we name our future kids Xavier they'll stand a chance of being scouted.

Your Xavier can hang out with my boys, Cornelius and Maurice - anyday!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Speaking as a man of Irish ancestry, I can honestly say that I've never liked the name "Tyrone" -- and I don't know why the Irish created it. I also know of Polynesians named Tyrone.

I don't like the English name "Trey" or "Rodney" - either. Troy sounds good to me, though. I also don't want to lose the fine name that is "Curtis."

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
These are the rest of the names that I can think of:

Donald
Lawrence
Quincy --
smiley20.gif

Clyde --
smiley20.gif

Donavan --
smiley20.gif

Arthur
Clarence
Milton --
smiley20.gif

Freddie --
smiley20.gif

Limas
Terry
Morgan --
smiley20.gif

Harold
Clark --
smiley20.gif

Tyson --
smiley20.gif

Erik --
smiley20.gif

Antonio
Clifford --
smiley20.gif

Larry
Carlos
Terrell
Reggie
Lamar
Angelo
Mario
Samuel --
smiley20.gif

Gerald
Willis -- haha
Montgomery --
smiley20.gif

Lance --
smiley20.gif

Spencer --
smiley20.gif

Darrell --
smiley20.gif

Demetrius
Marcellus --
smiley20.gif

I've given some of my favorites thumbs-up emoticons. This thread is sort of a history lesson. I had to rack my brain a little bit, but it was worth it. It's good to try to keep the mind sharp!

Edited by: Deadlift

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Deadlift no offense man, but half of the names you've mentioned have no appeal to me. Lol let them have 'em. I like the names Brady, Andrew, Sam, Matt,Beau(handsome in French), Sean, Colin, Jesse, Levi, Ty, Aiden(little fire in Gaelic), Gavin(white hawk of battle Welsh in origin), Connor, and Owen as boys names. Edited by: celticdb15

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
What about Irish names like Daniel, Dillon, Brandon, Austin and Bryan?

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
What about Irish names like Daniel, Dillon, Brandon, Austin and Bryan?

smiley20.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
My last name (English) is also somewhat common for our African-American friends, but my first name is not. We named all our kids traditional (White) first names with middle names from the family (Grandparents, etc.). Some of the "Hollyweirdos" name their kids some oddball stuff. I personally like the old fashion, western sounding names...Buford, Wyatt, Wade & of course "Tex".
smiley2.gif

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Some more names:

Dennis
Oliver
Pernell
Avery
Dominic
Tobias
Kurt
Jeremiah