My NFL Rant:slim down white TEs/FBs

Freedom

Mentor
Imagine Matt Jones at 220. That is still plenty large to
play wide receiver. He could probably have 4.2 speed as long as he didn't lose any explosiveness in his legs.

Imagine Chance Kretschmer, Mike Alstott, Bob Christian, or Heath Evans at 220. You would have a bunch of white Ricky Williams' out there except without the conning and the pot.

The Patriots really piss me off sometimes now. The year after they beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl, they needed a power fullback to complement the outside running of Corey Dillon and another WR. They sign Kyle Eckel, who played great in Pre-Season, and then cut him. They sign Tim Dwight and actually use him a lot, but they don't have him run Brady's favorite routes.

Heath Evans enters. He does great when they need him and they don't let him split carries with Dillon from split backs. However, it appears they still have a complementary back, who didn't get a lot of playing time because he entered mid-season. It looked like they'd play him and work him in next year.

The next year, they needed another good linebacker and good receivers. They draft Laurence Maroney, who is good, but prevents Evans from running the ball much. If Evans could slim to 220, he would be just like Maroney.But he is relegated to blocking duty all the time which forces him to be heavier and slower.

And they still lack depth at linebacker and have terrible wide receivers and they would rather have someone besides Evans to carry the ball.

How many whites are forced to be slow by the NFL?
A lot.
How many black college linebackers are made into NFL safeties. A lot.
Adam Archuleta is the only white linebacker that I know of, to ever notably play safety in the NFL after being a college linebacker. He was drafted by Mike Martz too, when they were trying to upgrade their defense after losing to the Saints in the Wild Card if I'm not mistaken.

Urlacher is the only guy I've ever heard of that made the transition from college safety to NFL linebacker. Now that was breaking the Caste System. He is an exception though. Most guys lose speed when they bulk up, Urlacher managed to get even faster.

Edited by: Freedom

Alstott would be straight-up deadly at 220 lbs. if he were in his prime. His game would be completely different though. He's been a "bulldozer" type runner his whole NFL career, but he'd be more than capable of running 4.3's if he dropped weight. He's my favorite back, always has been. Nobody gains the yardage he does when he's allowed to carry the ball, and no one runs over defenders quite like he does. His talents should be glorified on ESPN at least once, I think he deserves it.

Alstott would be straight-up deadly at 220 lbs. if he were in his prime. His game would be completely different though. He's been a "bulldozer" type runner his whole NFL career, but he'd be more than capable of running 4.3's if he dropped weight. He's my favorite back, always has been. Nobody gains the yardage he does when he's allowed to carry the ball, and no one runs over defenders quite like he does. His talents should be glorified on ESPN at least once, I think he deserves it.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah but Alstott wouldn't be a 4'3" back... he just never had THAT kind of speed, not even when he was at that kind of weight. he could possibly get 4.4. still, with his running style, shoulders so low to the ground he would be terrifying.

2006-11-30_001803_11123alstott.jpg

that's when he was at about 230 or so. as you can see he's more cut, easily visible on his biceps and calf.Edited by: backrow

backrow said:
yeah but Alstott wouldn't be a 4'3" back... he just never had THAT kind of speed, not even when he was at that kind of weight. he could possibly get 4.4. still, with his running style, shoulders so low to the ground he would be terrifying.

2006-11-30_001803_11123alstott.jpg

that's when he was at about 230 or so. as you can see he's more cut, easily visible on his biceps and calf.

Yeah, he's a genetic freak. Nice pic from the Purdue days by the way. Its just beyond disgraceful that he has been shunned most of his NFL career, while fat, sluggish slobs like Jerome Bettis recive hoards of undeserved glory. The both have championship rings, yet few people other than the ones on this site respect him. I really hope that Alstott realizes what we realize about his career and how it was basically wasted. No one can be that oblivious.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Bettis, while overrated was actually a very good power back. make no mistake, if you put Alstott behind Steelers o-line and give him the same ammount of carries, he would blow Jerome out of the freakin water. he run behind Bucs o-line, which was always either downright terrible or simply bad.

backrow said:
Bettis, while overrated was actually a very good power back. make no mistake, if you put Alstott behind Steelers o-line and give him the same ammount of carries, he would blow Jerome out of the freakin water. he run behind Bucs o-line, which was always either downright terrible or simply bad.

I might agree with Bettis being halfway decent, that is, before he became fatter than holy hell. He seems like a pretty down to Earth kind of guy from the way he behaves on t.v., so I'm not going to villify him, when he really hasn't done anything wrong. However, his playing ability was always mediocre. Or maybe it just appears that way in comparason to a guy like the A-Train.

white is right

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
The Bucs line could never drive block or pass protect. They used to set traps. Really who was their outstanding lineman when they had their good run under Dungy and the first year of Gruden?

Freedom

Mentor
Anyone notice that the bigger the a white guy is, the faster he is relative to blacks of the same size?

I've observed this with Robert Gallery and this lineman from Syracuse in the late 1980s, who was 316 pounds and ran a 4.6 40.

Freedom

Mentor
On that clip, listen to the way the announcers describe him. They say "rumbling", which isn't bad by itself and suggests that Alstott is tough and disciplined. However, they always use it to describe white players that run with the ball because to imply that they are slow and not athletic.

Then, one of the guys describes Alstott as "bumbling", which is just an insult.

chris371 said:
Hey all,

check this youtube video out.

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=_EVfpqbqxOI&mode=related& search[/url]=

Look at the second run. The speed with which he gets to the line is excellent. With a few pounds less ( but only a few ;) ) he could have been an amazing running back.

Lol. I was just about to post that vid, but you beat me to it, ya bastard. Its a hell of a run, and you can hear the pop that Alstott gives that African when he runs clear over him. Did you hear how excited the crowd got when he was given the ball? The fans in Tampa love and respect him, and it fires the mup when he gets carries. Its a shame that he is not theNo. ! ball carrier. It took like four "homeboys" to take him down. Ha.

But, golly gee wiz guys, according to crackheads like Michael Irvin, we're inferior to the "almighty black criminal"...I mean...afflete. Also, Alstott is not a "bumbler" or a "throwback player"...he's just a very good "running back". Yes, I said runningback, because thats what he is, in contrast to popular opinion. The NFL should be convicted of fraud for listing him as a fullback. Put him rush for rush against almost anyone, and he will gain more yards per carry.