Murtha calls constituents Rednecks

Bart

Hall of Famer
Still some white folks inPennsylvania with common sense. They should retire this bozo.

[url]http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/17764334/detail.htm l[/url]

CHARLEROI, Pa. -- U.S. Rep. John Murtha is calling many of the people who put him in office "rednecks."

The news comes one week after Murtha claimed the area is racist, then apologized for that comment.

In explaining his comments about racism, Murtha told WTAE it's difficult for many in the area to change. Murtha said that just five to 10 years ago the entire area was "redneck."

Now Murtha said only certain segments of the population are holding on to those racist feelings.

Just days after classifying western Pennsylvania as racist, Murtha took a step back from those comments, albeit a small one.

"What I said, that indicted everybody, that's not what I meant at all. What I mean is there's still folks that have a problem voting for someone because they are black," Murtha said.

Murtha said the history of southwestern Pennsylvania is rife with racism.

(snip)

Did he mean this as a compliment or an insult?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'm bemused by the number of racially conscious whites who seem to think Pennsylvania is some kind of white bastion. It is in the sense that it's an overwhelmingly white state outside of the major and minor cities (Philly, Pitt, Harrisburg, Allentown, Erie), but unfortunately the average white Pennsylvanian is no more racially aware than the average drunk white fan/dittohead anywhere else. The "racism" Murtha decries is a primitive, far-too-late reactionary kind of thing rather than anything well thought out and understood.