More Sheffield

bigunreal

Mentor
I'm surprised that no one has commented yet on white-hating thug Gary Sheffield's latest slew of ignorant comments. Sheffield is now accusing Yankee manager Joe Torre of treating his black players unfairly. Apparently, another idiot, Kenny Lofton, is backing Sheffield up. Here we have truly reached the heights of madness, even in Don King's America. The Yankees have fielded a primarily non-white team throughout Torre's tenure there. Why doesn't Sheffield come out and just lambaste Torre for having any white players at all? How do you give preferential treatment to players that don't exist? This is about on a par with the recent nonsense about white NBA officials calling more fouls on black players. I heard a few typically wimpy, white jock-sniffers from ESPN address this issue, and they did everything they could to grant this total moron the respect he clearly doesn't deserve, instead of blasting him, like they would if were white. White people have not reached a saturation point yet, insofar as this kind of blatant, in-your-face black antagonism is concerned. The question is, will they ever? Is there anything any black public figure can say or do that will arouse the ire of the majority of white people?

Skipperron

Guru
bigunreal said:
I'm surprised that no one has commented yet on white-hating thug Gary Sheffield's latest slew of ignorant comments. Sheffield is now accusing Yankee manager Joe Torre of treating his black players unfairly. Apparently, another idiot, Kenny Lofton, is backing Sheffield up. Here we have truly reached the heights of madness, even in Don King's America. The Yankees have fielded a primarily non-white team throughout Torre's tenure there. Why doesn't Sheffield come out and just lambaste Torre for having any white players at all? How do you give preferential treatment to players that don't exist? This is about on a par with the recent nonsense about white NBA officials calling more fouls on black players. I heard a few typically wimpy, white jock-sniffers from ESPN address this issue, and they did everything they could to grant this total moron the respect he clearly doesn't deserve, instead of blasting him, like they would if were white. White people have not reached a saturation point yet, insofar as this kind of blatant, in-your-face black antagonism is concerned. The question is, will they ever? Is there anything any black public figure can say or do that will arouse the ire of the majority of white people?

I wondered why no one had wrote anything about this as well. Josh Phelps, who the Pirates picked up from the Yanks said he never saw Torre treat anyone different. But of course no one would believe Phelps I guess since he is white. Chacon, of the Pirates, said he would not comment on Torre and his time with the Yanks. It is typical. Blacks and hispanics will defend each other no matter what the charges. And whites will not say anything for fear of being labeled a racist or if they do they are ignored.

C Darwin

Mentor
Tim Marchman from the NY SUN

"It really wouldn't hurt the Yankees at all to keep the problem in mind when they start looking for a new manager, as they probably will after this season. It's hard enough to run a ballclub without this sort of nonsense getting in the way."

Link

G

I don't care about baseball but I note the double standard here. I was going to post this story last week but I figured it was irrelevant, as any debate about the double standard has long since ended. The double standard is as real as steel plated armor on a tank, and hard and rigid as it too.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Howdy BigUnreal! A favorite topic Sheffield, thanks for bringing it up.

More comments have been posted about the topic under "J.B. Cash's Column" and subheading "Sheffield Speaks." In short, all the posters agree with you. Sheffield is a bonehead and a poster child for the bitter, hateful, and deliberately cheating Black ballplayer.Edited by: Realgeorge

Weltner

Guru
For all of Shlubfield's claims and ego and stats, he's never exactly been one of better clutch players/hitters in the post-season. After 1997 with the Marlins, there's not much there. Just check out his post-season "feats" at baseballreference.com and especially,Retrosheet.org. O-ver-ra-ted.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Live at the Apollo Gary Sheffield on why he is hard done by...
smiley36.gif
Sometimes I wonder if he has the substance abuse problems in his family.......
smiley36.gif

bigunreal said:

From www.thebrushback.com. Funny stuff and just may be what is really going on in Torre's mind (minus the comment about Asians).

Torre Actually Starting To Dislike Blacks Now

NEW YORK--Yankee manager Joe Torre admitted today to being "sort of racist" but denied allegations that he treated African-American players differently during Gary Sheffield and Kenny Lofton's tenure with the team. Instead, he said that his dislike of blacks is a more recent phenomenon.
"I never treated those guys different when they were here," Torre said. "I mean, I might have treated them different, but it had more to do with their personality and performance than the color of their skin. That being said, I am starting to really dislike black people. It horrifies me to say that, but with Gary Sheffield accusing me of racial prejudice and Kenny Lofton backing him up, and with Sheffield telling me that all the black players on the team had problems with me, I'm starting to think maybe we shouldn't have any more of them on our team. So...I guess I'm a racist now? Huh. Interesting. I never though I'd see the day. Up until now I've only really had a disdain for Asians."

Weltner

Guru
Weltner said:
For all of Shlubfield's claims,ego,HUBRIS and stats, he's never exactly been one of better clutch players/hitters in the post-season. After 1997 with the Marlins, there's not much there, especially when he played for the Yankees( Especially,after Game 3,of the 2004 LCS ). Just check out his post-season "feats" at baseballreference.com and especially,Retrosheet.org. O-ver-ra-ted.

And, who is he to mock Jeter for being "nearly black"? He's pretty much a quadroon himself. In other words:pot....kettle....black.

"An urban legend in his own mind" - Bill James on g.s.Edited by: Weltner

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I was watching the Mets-Pirates game today, and the Pirates' announcers brought up Gary Sheffield's early career in Milwaukee, including his admission that he intentionally committed errors to get out of the city.

In the past, any player with 500 career HRs was essentially guaranteed a bust in Cooperstown, but I can't see how Sheffield deserves one.

The guy "threw" games-literally and figuratively.

I know the men here will agree with me that he doesn't belong in the HOF.

Is there some lurker/Google spy who has the guts and knowledge to come on here and put together a convincing opinion to the contrary?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sheffield was a steroids user as well (though he has, like with so much else concerning this creep, pretty much gotten a pass from the media on it). So if McGwire and Clemens are going to be kept out of the Hall, along, presumably, with Sosa, Palmiero and others who are accused of juicing, there's no way Sheffield belongs.