MLB's best athletes?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as most of you know, i don't follow baseball much at all. but my dad is a huge fan, and when spending time with him of an evening, he'll often have a game on.

as such, i've watched a couple of Cardinals games this spring and a portion of a Braves game, and it's readily apparent that these teams have some exceptional White athletes on their rosters.

the Cardinals feature an all-white outfield with two great athletes. Rick Ankiel, who is a phenomenal story on so many levels, is an exceptional athlete who can really run AND throw missiles from centerfield. rookie Colby Rasmus also looks like an impressive physical specimen. 2nd baseman Skip Shumacker doesn't appear to have the gun of the two above players, but he is on par from a speed standpoint. meaning, he can also fly.

Atlanta Braves outfielder Jeff Francoeur is an incredible athlete, as well, as he also has tremendous wheels and a tremendous cannon hanging from his shoulder. while Chipper Jones surely used to belong in this category, it looks to me that Francoeur is now the hands-down best athlete on the Braves.

i would like some of you more knowledgable posters to list your Top 10 or so athletes in MLB. and i'd also like you to go one step further and give your justifications for those individuals you choose. a list of names is just the start, and hopefully this will inspire some discussion. there are a large number of phenomenal White athletes in the Majors, and i'd enjoy learning about them

thank you in advance, gentlemen. i look forward to seeing your educated opinions.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Let's give this a shot, eh? In no particular order:

1. Jayson Werth, OF, Philadelphia
Werth is the type of "long and athletic" player associated with basketball. At 6'5", he has speed to burn in the outfield, and stole 20 bases last season. Being a right fielder, he also has a terrific arm.

2. Brett Gardner, OF, New York Yankees
Gardner is acknowledged to be the fastest player in the Yankees organization, and has been since his drafting. He has tremendous range in center field, one of the toughest positions to field in baseball. Just a rookie this year, too.

3. Brandon Inge, 3B, Detroit
Inge has some of the most ridiculous leather I've seen in a while at the hot corner. He makes bare-handers and hard hit line drives look so effortless, it's wild. And to think, he wasn't starting in Detriot. Why? Oh, yeah.

4. Brian Roberts, 2B, Baltimore
Roberts is just crazy fast. He stole 40 bases last season, and a league-leading 50 in '07. A consummate leadoff hitter, it's tough to double him up.

5. Roy Oswalt, P, Houston
At under six feet, Oswalt is hardly an imposing frame, but totally remarkable. With a fastball in the mid-90s, he can surprise you. Oswalt has also won at least 10 games every year he has been in the majors. He has also pitched less than 200 innings only twice, one of them being his rookie season.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Josh Anderson of the Tigers looks to be a good one. He is the fastest guy on the team according to most reports, faster then Granderson. He's only playing against RH in left but will be a fixture somplace in the future if he hits. Note that the Braves dumped him so Atlanta must have a surplus of white athletic talent.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Atlanta moved Anderson to make way for athletic white center fielder Jordan Schafer.

A few others quickly off the top of my head:

CF Nate McLouth
2B Ian Kinsler
RF Corey Hart
RF Hunter Pence
OF Eric Byrnes
SS Ryan Theriot
SS J.J. Hardy
SS Stephen Drew
SP Micah Owings (frequently used as a pinch hitter. over 300 career hitter)
CF Jacoby Ellsbury
CF Josh Hamilton (can do everything)
LF Jason Bay
CF Aaron Rowand

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Here's a list of white players under 30 that I think are outstanding athletes and can play the game, with a number of them still working hard to reach their potential:

Pirates: Nate McClouth-CF and a Gold Glove winner
Orioles: Brian Roberts-2B and a superb athlete
Red Sox: Jed Lowrie-SS, Jacoby Ellsbury-CF(some Native American blood), Dustin Pedroia-2B and A.L. MVP
Yankees: Brett Gardner-CF with great speed
Rays: Jason Bartlett-SS(has a Filipina mother)
White Sox: Josh Fields-3B-former Oklahoma State QB
Tigers: Josh Anderson-CF and another guy with speed to burn
Twins: Joe Mauer-C-he has perhaps the sweetest swing in baseball and was a great high school QB
A's: Matt Holliday-OF-don't think he's just a great hitter; the guy can really run
Rangers: Ian Kinsler-2B-and Josh Hamilton-OF-both are superb all-around athletes and Hamilton is still tapping his enormous power potential
Braves: Jordan Schafer-talented young OF and Jeff Franceour-a skilled OF with a great arm
Marlins: Jeremy Hermida-an OF who is blossoming into a real talent
Mets: David Wright-3B a great hitter, a Gold Glover and a stolen base threat
Phillies: Chase Utley-2B-a dynamite all-around player
Cubs: Jeff Samardzija-P-the great Notre Dame WR and the double play combination of Mike Fontenot(2B) and Ryan Theriot(SS)
Reds: Jay Bruce-OF-a multi-skilled player who should be a prodigious HR hitter down the road
Astros: Hunter Pence-OF-has sky-high potential at the plate, on the basepaths, and in the field
Brewers: JJ Hardy-SS-and Ryan Braun-OF-"The Hebrew Hammer"
smiley24.gif

Cardinals: OFs Rick Ankiel, Colby Rasmus, Chris Duncan, and Ryan Ludwick are all talented players
Diamondbacks: Stephen Drew-SS
Rockies: Troy Tulowitzki-SS

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Inge is on a tear now that he's full time third base, and he's a greatroto acquisition because he can play catcher too.

j41181

Master
Dustin Pedroia is my favorite!

How come no one is mentioning Adam Dunn? He's the best white HR hitter under-30 right now. He should reach 300 career homers in a bout a month or 2 from now.

NorCal831

i only really follow the dodgers so heres some input from LA. dont know about all around athletes, but here are some good young guys that you guys may or may not have heard of.

Russell Martin - great all around athlete, probably the fastest catcher in the majors. is part black, but is rrrreeeeaaalllllyyyy light skinned (a little lighter than jason kidd), so he is obviously predominantly of European descent.

Andre Ethier - finished last year on a tear and has carried that into this year. is half mexican, but again he looks like he is predominanly of european descent.

John Broxton - BIG BOY, 6'4 about 290 and pitches like it, regularly hitting in the upper 90's. is perfect in save opportunities and has allowed a single run while strikeing out hitters at a rediculous rate. looks like he will be the closer for years to come.

Chad Billingsly - great pitcher, has improved every year and is quietly becomming one of the best in the NL.

Clayton Kershaw - extremely talented but inconsistant, but it is to be expected from a guy thats only 21 and entering his 2nd season. youtube his curveball, FILTHY.