MLB Network

Has anyone besides me seen the new MLB Network? It started on New Year's Day. Every night at 8pm ET, they have something on baseball history.

Every few minutes, they run a commercial for something called RBI. This is "Revive Baseball in Inner Cities."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I read about it starting up but haven't seen it yet. I'm sure it's somewhere now among my mostly useless 999 DirecTV channels.

"Reviving baseball" among God's Chosen Affletes will undoubtedly be a prominent theme on a permanent basis. Having the undoubtedly disproportionately non-white on-air personnel discussing the need for more black managers, GMs, scouts, coaches, broadcasters, agents, etc.,should always be good filler as well. It'll be like Jackie Robinson Day, but on a year-round basis. Instead of a flag pin or pink AIDS awareness ribbon, maybe they'll all sport a number 42 patch on their suit jackets.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the last half of Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series on the MLB Network. Mel Allen called the first half of the game and Vin Scully (who's still calling games more than half a century later!) called the second half.

Scully observed the baseball tradition of never mentioning that Larsen had a no-hitter going, only noting how many straight Brooklyn battersLarsen had retired, and later mentioning that it could be a historic day.

The Yankees had an all-white starting lineup while the Dodgers started four blacks out of eight. Most of the men in the crowd were wearing suits. The crowd was loud but far more restrained than they would be today.

The original broadcast was very watchable, the only drawback being the black and white, grainy nature of the film. The action was shot from several basic camera positions, there was the occasional graphic, and of course no replays. I found it more in tune with the natural pace of the game. Today's broadcasts are filled with a new camera shot every two seconds, shots of individual members of the crowd, ultra-close-ups of players' faces, reflecting today's infantile attention span. Today's crowd likewise must be constantly revved-up and manipulated with constant music and scoreboard antics.

Some of the Gillette commercials from the game were shown, which were entertaining.

At varioustimes Bob Costas interviewed Larsen and Yogi Berra in a studio with an audience about what Larsen was feeling at various points in the game.

Costas is a real student of baseball andvery knowledgeable, albeit politically correct to the core, but I'd rather see him on this network than just about any other MSM broadcaster.

MLB Network commercial breaks had endless promos of the network's upcoming Negro Leagues documentary.

There was also a break when the network went to a "Hot Stove" studio grouping of five announcers who discussed Jim Rice's election to Cooperstown. All five were wildly in favor of it. Bobby Valentine did the best pandering, saying what a "good guy" Rice was, as if that had anything to do with whether he should be in the Hall of Fame or not. So much for a good old-fashioned baseball argument. The panel had two blacks out of the five members -- or 40 percent; MLB is 9 percent black, the U.S. population is 12 percent black.Edited by: Don Wassall

Skipperron

Guru
Also one of the studios is called the "Studio 42" in honor of Jackie Robinson. Please guys, give it a break. Robinson Robinson Robinson. You know where you can put him, don't you.

LabMan

Mentor
The on air group of "experts",are a display of multiculturalism,and that is the message,from Rojas,to Reynolds,to May,to Larkin,etc.Whites will always be in the minority with productions such as this,the theme,to condition the American public to what lies ahead,Whites will be the minority in their own homeland!

Don Wassall mentioned in another thread about the increasing number of hispanics appearing on t.v.and in films,and he is correct.The North American Union union will merge Canada,and Mexico with The U.S.A.,with all borders erased,so the public will be shown more Latino folks with the message being,"we all be the same"!

Europe

Mentor
Every sporting event today has to be overloaded with analysis. I would rather just have one announer and no analylst. The analysts always act like they were perfect players. From Morgan to aikman, they get on my nerves.

They are scared to have silence during the broadcast.

I don't need to see the pitchers nose hair or acne.

Costas overloads on the stats I think.

Just about all football announcers get on my nerves now.