MLB Hall of Fame "Class" of 2010

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Skimming the news during a break, I noticed that only Andre Dawson was voted into the MLB hall of fame today, Bert Blylevin, Roberto Alomar, Jack Morris, Barry Larkin, and Lee Smith all failed this go-round. Not being a big baseball fan, I don't remember much about Dawson, what is your take, fellow CF'ers?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Dawson is this year's Jim Rice, an unworthy choice who got in due to a prolonged media campaign, though his wasn't as intense as the one waged on behalf of Rice.

The only good news is that Bert Blyleven creeped within 5 votes of election and with just two years of eligibility left should get in next year or the year after. None of the others on the list are deserving except Mark McGwire and Dale Murphy and neither of them has a snowball's chance in hell. McGwire got just 23.7% and Murphy 11.7%. Murphy is more deserving than Dawson and the discrepancy in votes between them says a lot about theracial politics of thetimes we live in.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I have an official list of current qualifications for the Hall of Fame.

1) Player must be retired from the game for 5 years
2) Player must be black or hispanic
3) player must have played in a major media market
4) Rule 2 can be waived ONLY if player was a pitcher

I think we have seen the end of white players, who were not pitchers, being elected to the Hall of Fame for a while. Almost all current high profile white non-pitchers are one-dimensional power hitters who will be painted with the taint of the 'steroid/inflated power number era' stigma.

Personally I thought Fred McGriff is more HOF worthy then Dawson. But I'm sure in a few years McGriff will get in while more deserving white players are ignored.

Let me also state for the record (as I do every year) the exclusion of the greatest power hitter of the modern era-Mark McGuire and the best hitter-Pete Rose, means to me that the HOF is just another formerly white institution taken over by the cultural marxists. As far as I'm concerned the place is dead to me.Edited by: jaxvid

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Roberto Alomar will get in next year, with the enthusiastic support of his "fast friend" John Hirschbeck, the umpire Alomar spit on. Reginald Denny Syndrome is stronger than ever.

Hall of Fame: John Hirschbeck called Roberto Alomar to wish him luck in the Hall of Fame vote. When Alomar spat on the umpire 14 years ago during an argument after a called third strike, it created a national furor. Now the two are fast friends. "I know we both wish it didn't happen, but it did," Hirschbeck said.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports-headlines/ci_14130549?nclick_check=1

white is right

Hall of Famer
That's too rich for me....
smiley36.gif
smiley11.gif
I actually think Dawson deserved a nod as he was a five tool guy(well he deserves one more than Rice does). I think like the NFL, marginal players of colour will get an AA voting block with writers to reflect diversity. Marginal White players may need to add vowels or z's at the end of their name to get the same treatment....
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif
Edited by: white is right

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
MLB HoF gives the nod to Dawson, but not Dale Murphy...despite his 2 MVPs, 4 straight NL Silver Slugger Awards, 5 straight Gold Gloves & 740 consecutive games (13th best ever) and 7 All-Star selections.
smiley21.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Dawson was not only elected to the Hall of Fame, he was apparently also officially granted sainthood. Tiger falls, Andre rises:

Andre Dawson got up at 6 a.m. and went to the gym. Before going back home, he took a detour from his usual routine on the day Hall of Fame voting is announced.

"I went by a cemetery to visit my mom and also my grandmother," he said. "It's the first time I had done that. I just felt a little bit more optimistic about this year, and I just wanted to share a few things at that grave site. It meant a lot to me to get out there."

Dawson's faith was rewarded a few hours later Wednesday, when he was elected to the Hall in his ninth try. He was the only player honored, as Bert Blyleven fell five votes short and Roberto Alomar finished eight shy.

Dawson received 420 of 539 votes in results announced by the Baseball Writers' Association of America, 15 more than the 75 percent necessary to gain election. The eight-time All-Star outfielder was 44 votes short last year.

"If you're a Hall of Famer, eventually you're going to get in no matter how long it takes," Dawson said during a telephone conference call. "As I sit here, the only thing I can think of is that it was well worth the wait."

He credited mom Mattie Brown and grandmother Eunice Taylor for teaching him to work hard with dedication and determination. He cried as he arrived at the cemetery, and thanked his mother for raising eight children without a father in the house. He hoped he made them proud.

"I told her, 'I love you. I miss you. I wish you were alive so I could tell you that,'" he remembered saying.

While they never saw him play in person, fearing he'd get hurt, they tracked his career from a distance.

"There were some instances where I may have made myself look like a fool out there on the field with some confrontations with the umpires," Dawson said. "I would get a call immediately. And you know, the question was: 'Who do you think you are and what do you think you're doing?' And that, you know, kind of humbled me to a degree."
full article: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof10/news/story?id=4801847

Dawson is a big favorite of Peter Gammons, who has some influence. In a column I saw once, Gammons described Andre Dawson as the finest person in baseball.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
One of the many advantages of being knowledgeable about the caste system is being able to sift through the bullsh*t. In today's Detroit News there was an article "Should Alan Trammell be in the Hall of Fame". Tram was compared to Ozzie Smith who he dwarfs in statistical comparison.

The reader comments were filled with the usual crap tip toeing around the subject of why Smith and his "personality", his "smile", that he was a "hotdog" and because he did backflips. C'mon DWF's you know why the Wizard of Oz is in the Hall and Tram isn't. It's all about race man! Wake up sleeping retards. Would it have made any difference if Trammall had done backflips, acted like a hot dog or smiled more. Hell no. As mad as it sometimes makes me I at least get the satisfaction that I know and understand what the real deal is.

white is right

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
One of the many advantages of being knowledgeable about the caste system is being able to sift through the bullsh*t. In today's Detroit News there was an article "Should Alan Trammell be in the Hall of Fame". Tram was compared to Ozzie Smith who he dwarfs in statistical comparison.

The reader comments were filled with the usual crap tip toeing around the subject of why Smith and his "personality", his "smile", that he was a "hotdog" and because he did backflips. C'mon DWF's you know why the Wizard of Oz is in the Hall and Tram isn't. It's all about race man! Wake up sleeping retards. Would it have made any difference if Trammall had done backflips, acted like a hot dog or smiled more. Hell no. As mad as it sometimes makes me I at least get the satisfaction that I know and understand what the real deal is.
Baseball has weird double standards when it comes to certain positions. 2nd base, shortstop and 3rd base a player can make the hall of fame if they have outstanding defensive ability and mediocre at best offensive(by hall of fame standards) ie Ozzie Smith, Maz and to a lesser extent Robinson. Guys like Trammel get punished because they were more of a well rounded player. Meanwhile outfielders like Dewey Evans get dropped from the ballot the first time they are eligible yet he won many gold gloves and he had excellent offensive statistics into his late 30's. Then stone gloves like Rice and Jackson make it. If you aren't a sure fire first ballot hall of fame candidate. Getting elected is similar to being chosen pope by the cardinals in Rome....
smiley5.gif

bigunreal

Mentor
The induction of Dawson just reinforces my view that the Hall of Fame has become a PC charade. Players such as Orlando Cepeda, Eddie Murray, Ozzie Smith, Jim Rice and now Andre Dawson were simply not "great" in any sense of the word. If Dawson and Rice are HOFers, then Dale Murphy, Fredd Lynn and countless other outfielders from the 60s-90s are, too.

These kinds of inductions are a disgrace to the memory of true icons like Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, etc.