Milton Bradley gets his due

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Milton Bradley was injured (torn ACL) when his manager restrained him from going after an umpire that he says "baited him." This is similar to the Jena 6 episode as Bradley, a lifelong trouble maker got some well deserved bad karma, but the media will play it up as the umpires "fault" for causing Bradley to display some TNB.

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- A wild-card race that was already wild turned absolutely bizarre Sunday, and Milton Bradley was right in the middle of it for the San Diego Padres.

Bradley was ejected and then hurt his right knee when Padres manager Bud Black spun him to the ground in an attempt to keep him from going after an umpire.

The Padres were livid, claiming that first base umpire Mike Winters baited Bradley, leading to a confrontation that overshadowed the surging Colorado Rockies' 7-3 win and an impressive three-game sweep of the wild card-leading Padres.

Bradley, whose volatile temper has overshadowed his talent during his career, called it "the most unprofessional and most ridiculous thing I've ever seen."

"It's terrible. And now, because of him, my knee's hurt," said Bradley, a second-half catalyst for the Padres who was in his third game back from an injury that sidelined him for nearly two weeks. "If this costs me my season because of that, he needs to be reprimanded. I'm taking some action. I'm not going to stand pat and accept this because I didn't do nothing wrong."

ADVERTISEMENT

Asked about his knee, Bradley said: "I've got to get an MRI. It's killing me, though."

The punchless Padres retained their half-game lead over Philadelphia, which lost 5-3 to Washington, while the Rockies pulled within 1 1/2 games by winning their season-high eighth straight.

San Diego stayed 2 1/2 games behind first-place Arizona in the NL West with seven to play. Colorado is four back of the Diamondbacks with six games remaining.

An inning before Bradley was hurt, the Padres lost center fielder Mike Cameron after Bradley stepped on his right hand while the two pursued Garrett Atkins' inside-the-park home run.

As Bradley walked to the plate in the eighth, umpire Brian Runge asked the player if he had flipped his bat in the ump's direction after taking a called third strike to end the fifth.

"I said, 'Are you kidding me? That's ridiculous,"' Bradley said. "He said, 'Well, it was reported to me by the other umpires that you threw your bat at me.' And I said, 'That's completely ridiculous. I've done a lot of things. I'm trying to turn it around. I would never harm anybody."'

Bradley singled, then asked Winters if he told Runge he threw his bat. "He goes, 'Yeah, you did.' I go, 'Are you kidding me? That's completely ridiculous. If I strike out and the inning's over, why are you looking at me? Everything's always about me."'

AP - Sep 23, 8:27 pm EDT
More Photos

Then, a fan heckled Winters.

"I pointed to the guy in the crowd, affirming it," Bradley said.

Bradley said Winters responded with a string of expletives.

"That's when I went at him and he kicked me out," Bradley said.

First base coach Bobby Meacham began to restrain Bradley, and Black came running out. Bradley got away from Meacham, but Black grabbed him by the jersey.

Bradley was attempting to get free and, after a few seconds, Black spun Bradley around and the player collapsed. Bradley immediately grabbed his right knee and eventually had to be helped off the field.

"I was trying to pull Milton away from the argument," said Black, later ejected for arguing a checked-swing call against Adrian Gonzalez.

Crew chief Bruce Froemming wouldn't allow a reporter to speak with Winters.

Froemming said Bradley "got grumpy with Mike Winters. Winters told him to knock it off and he continued it. There is no covering up what he did. He had to be physically restrained."

Meacham defended Bradley.

AP - Sep 23, 8:19 pm EDT
More Photos

"In 26 years of baseball, I can honestly say that's the most disconcerting conversation I have ever heard from an umpire to a player," Meacham said. "It was almost like he wanted to agitate the whole thing. He wanted to get Milton boiling for some reason. Milton, he held his cool. I was just appalled."

Padres CEO Sandy Alderson, a former general manager and president of the Oakland Athletics, said he'd never seen a player injured like that. "But as far as I'm concerned, it was necessary," he said.

Alderson used to work in the commissioner's office, where one of his duties was overseeing umpires.

"We're not going to sit by and see an umpire bait a player," Alderson said. He added that if the commissioner's office concludes the situation was handled appropriately, "I'll be shocked."

Brad Hawpe homered for the second time in three games and Jeff Francis earned his 17th victory for the Rockies, who roughed up Greg Maddux.

The Rockies won their franchise-best 84th game as they try for the second playoff appearance in their 15-year history.

"Their actions speak louder than anything I can tell you guys," manager Clint Hurdle said. "I'm just proud of the way they're going about their business."

Hawpe went 8-for-13 with two homers and five RBIs in the series. He is 12-for-21 with 10 RBIs in his last five games.

Francis (17-8) held the Padres to two runs and seven hits in eight innings to tie the franchise mark for wins in a season. He struck out eight and walked one.

Maddux (13-11) lasted only 3 2-3 innings, allowing five runs and eight hits.

Bradley homered to center in the third. Josh Bard connected in the ninth.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
jaxvid said:
Milton Bradley was injured (torn ACL) when his manager restrained him from going after an umpire that he says "baited him." This is similar to the Jena 6 episode as Bradley, a lifelong trouble maker got some well deserved bad karma, but the media will play it up as the umpires "fault" for causing Bradley to display some TNB.

Karma was what I thought of too. It made my day to find out how this creep was injured. In a sanecountry Bradley would have been banned from professional baseball years ago.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Yes Don, Bradley is a world class jerk and got what he deserved. He's got to be looking for a record of getting kicked off the most major league teams in a career.

Tom Iron...

LabMan

Mentor
I watched this game,and saw these events unfold.Bradley is well known for his behavior,and the only reason that he has lasted in the game is there are just a small number of blacks who can actually play,and the powers that be cannot afford to let even one slip away.

Fox,Colorado had the feed,and the Colorado announcers did all that they could to make us believe that we were not seeing what we were seeing.These social engineers never cease to amaze me,but they are Fox employees,so nuff said.

Drew Goodman,and George Frazier were the announcers for this game,and they felt that the problem started when possibly,Bradley flipped his bat toward the home plate umpire,after taking a third strike,the at bat before.

"so let's go back to that at bat",said Goodman,and as fate would have it,the clip was cut off before we could see if the bat was headed in the umps direction,nuff said again!

Remember when Delmon Young threw his bat at an umpire when he was in the minor leagues?.Instead of assault charges being filed by the umpire,and Young being banned for life from the game,he recieved a 60 game suspension,and is now in the major leagues,and yes,any time that situation is brought up,"he flipped" the bat.In reality,he threw it from approx.20 feet away,with much force.

When Bradley reached first base,he and coach Bobby Meacham began to verbally assault the first base umpire,but of course Fox announcer Frazier has known Meacham for 25 years,and "there is not a finer man in the game"!He defended Meacham before anyone knew what was going on,any one wonder why?

Bradley became the Bradley that he is,and manager Bud Black tried to restrain him,thats when his knee was injured.It truly was a horrific display and shows yet again,why Bradley should not be walking the streets,let alone playing the game of baseball.

If the Padres do not make the playoffs,we should remember that we now live in Don Kings Amerika,and maybe Bud Black will be blamed,and Bradley will file assault charges against Black.Edited by: LabMan

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Typically I never root for a player to get injured but he really brought this upon himself. It was almost comical that he injured himself, not in the field of play, but rather during an argument with an umpire. I agree with whomever it was that said this was karma coming back to get him for all the shenanigans he's pulled throughout the years.

Skipperron

Guru
I remember reading an article by a Cleveland writer a few years back. He mentioned that Cleveland gave up on Bradley when it was realized that he would never get over his hatred of white people and therefore never be able to function properly on a baseball "team". I have not been able to find that article since. I read it on the internet but it was a major story from a newspaper. I wonder why Bradley did not have to go through sensitivity training like Rocker and any other white who offended the black heirarchy.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Here's a freakin' shock, umpire suspended, Bradley treated like a victim. Shocking? Nope.

Umpire Mike Winters suspended for remainder of regular season

"I think it's good to tell the players that the umpires are going to be kept in line. It'll be good to retain order during games knowing there's going to be repercussions if you let things get out of hand," Padres second baseman Geoff Blum said. "It's got to be satisfying to Milton knowing that what he said was true and that some consequence came of it."

white is right

Hall of Famer
Milton Bradley needs to learn about the game of Life. Or he will get in Trouble......
smiley36.gif
Oh and he doesn't have a Clue....
smiley2.gif