Military rifle ??

Friend's at work keep telling me that i need a "military "type" rifle. like an ak-47. "just in case the s**t hit's the fan!" they say. I have a shotgun and a few black powder handguns. do you think its a good IDEA! to buy one?

jcolec02

Mentor
you can get a semi automatic AR-15 for about 1000 dollars

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The military type gun I would like to have is a .50 caliber rifle. That is pretty much the biggest and most powerful weapon you can get easily and legally. They are very expensive though.

An AR15 is ok because they can use high capacity clips and are accurate and durable. The Ruger Mini-14 is cheaper than an AR15. I'd get a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle ($600-700) over an AR15 because they are less bulky and are easier to break down, clean, and remove/fix jams. Another even cheaper option is the Kel-Tec SU-16, at around $500. It works with AR15/M16 clips and breaks down easily, plus it can store an extra 30 round mag in the stock. I've read its more accurate than a Mini-14 out of the box. All of these are .223 caliber, which is great for long range self defense, but not for hunting anything bigger than varmints.

As for the AK-47 like SKS, I wouldn't buy one. A friend has one and he says its junk.

Personally, I'd invest in a big gun before getting one of these, but I already have a semi-auto .30-06, a lever action .30-30, and a bunch of semi-auto .22s and a couple of shotguns. lost, in your shoes, I'd probably look for a semi-auto rifle, either the Ruger or Kel-Tec. Then you can spend the money you saved by stocking up on ammo. No gun will do you any good if things are really bad and you run out of ammo.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
If the SHTF what are going to do with an AK-47? Join the Commies for Obama brigade? Use the shotgun. Easy to handle, easy to get ammo for. Good for shooting cans
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif

Menelik

Mentor
I have a spas-11 for home defense, a 45 for when I'm on the road, and in case I need to reach out and touch someone I have an M-24.

Bronk

Mentor
A shotgun fer sure but also a Colt .45 pistol and an all-weather Mini-14 Ruger Ranch rifle.

Edited by: Bronk

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I'd recommend a good shotgun (12 gauge pump or semi-auto), rifle (7mm, 30-06) with a 4x+ scope (Simmons or Leupold) & hand-gun (.40 cal or .45 ACP). Stick with the basics initially. Load up on the ammo as well.

I'd love a Desert Eagle 44 mag, H&K MP5 & Barrett Arms 50 cal rifle...but I haven't got the funds or means. I stick with the "101"/basics.

***BTW, for those who haven't already checked it out, Gun Owners of America is an outstanding 2nd Amendment defense org, who (unlike the NRA at times), never compromises!

Gun Owners of America

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
On the ammo front another advantage of the shotgun (to me) is the ease of reloading spent shells. The supplies are easy to get and use. I have friends who make their own bullets, but that seems like quite a job compared to reloading shotgun shells.

The Hock

Master
All good suggestions. I would add a good compound bow to the list. Take time to learn how to shoot it well. It could prove useful in certain situations. It's quiet, and would have a very good psychological effect, along with making you harder to locate.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
The military type gun I would like to have is a .50 caliber rifle. That is pretty much the biggest and most powerful weapon you can get easily and legally. They are very expensive though. An AR15 is ok because they can use high capacity clips and are accurate and durable. The Ruger Mini-14 is cheaper than an AR15. I'd get a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle ($600-700) over an AR15 because they are less bulky and are easier to break down, clean, and remove/fix jams. Another even cheaper option is the Kel-Tec SU-16, at around $500. It works with AR15/M16 clips and breaks down easily, plus it can store an extra 30 round mag in the stock. I've read its more accurate than a Mini-14 out of the box. All of these are .223 caliber, which is great for long range self defense, but not for hunting anything bigger than varmints. As for the AK-47 like SKS, I wouldn't buy one. A friend has one and he says its junk. Personally, I'd invest in a big gun before getting one of these, but I already have a semi-auto .30-06, a lever action .30-30, and a bunch of semi-auto .22s and a couple of shotguns. lost, in your shoes, I'd probably look for a semi-auto rifle, either the Ruger or Kel-Tec. Then you can spend the money you saved by stocking up on ammo. No gun will do you any good if things are really bad and you run out of ammo.

I agree with your friend very much on the AK-47. There is no question that the AK-47 7.62x39 is a capable weapon that is more affordable with more power and more durability than the AR-15 .223, but I would not want one for the simple fact that the AR-15 is designed to be an accurate rifle while the AK-47 is simply not that accurate. IMO, there are virtually no benefits to having a more durable rifle which can not legally owned owned or used in the manner which makes it more effective, which is as a weapon capable of fully automatic mode without resorting to expensive class III licensing. I have an AR-15 and love it. I ALWAYS out group my friend who loves his AK-47's and SKS's and he is a much better shot than me. He can out shoot me on literally every weapon we have ever fired together, is a former US Marine who qualified as an Expert Marksman with the M-16, yet there are times when he struggles to get more than one shot in center mass with his AK, while I can easily group all of mine relatively close together with my AR. It is fun to break concrete blocks and such with his AK, but I will take the accuracy of the semi-auto AR over the semi-auto AK any day if my life is truly on the line.

You know, maybe in a SHTF scenario where I could get my hand on a fully auto capable AK-47 as apposed to having a high maintenance AR I might change my tune, but if there is one lesson that should be learned from Balkans it is that military hardware was easily attainable through deserting military units or abandoned armories, and there are unquestionably more available Western style weapons than AK's in America right now. Either way, I am familiar enough with the AK to be able to operate it if worse came to worse. Lets just hope worse never comes to worse.

Bear Backer

Mentor
The Hock said:
All good suggestions. I would add a good compound bow to the list. Take time to learn how to shoot it well. It could prove useful in certain situations. It's quiet, and would have a very good psychological effect, along with making you harder to locate.

I might add a good air rifle or pistol to that list as well. I know that most people don't like the idea of thinking they would have to resort to eat things like squirrels or birds, but when you are hungry food is food. My grandmother use to tell stories of having to eat some very icky things during the great depression as a little girl. She said she remembers a couple of times where all they had to eat was turnips seasoned with pork fat. An air gun is quiet and more accurate than a slingshot and a pistol is easily concealable if you were to have to go around looking for food in an urban setting.

DWFan

Mentor
I've got a DV (trumped up. I was the one that called the cops, and there had been no physical contact, and no one accused me of anything)charge. So I can't own a gun. If I could, though, I'd get a shotgun that pumps out as many pellets as possible.

DWFan said:
I've got a DV (trumped up. I was the one that called the cops, and there had been no physical contact, and no one accused me of anything)charge. So I can't own a gun. If I could, though, I'd get a shotgun that pumps out as many pellets as possible.
smiley6.gif
Edited by: lost

jcolec02

Mentor
something else to consider when purchasing a firearm is cost of ammo. I shot an M4 with a friend last year, and a box of 20 .223 shells was 10 bucks!!! And the clip could hold 30 so that was like 15 bucks a clip
smiley3.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
DWFan said:

Thanks to the Cultural Marxists it's a woman's country now: http://wadvpress.org/?p=8