Men’s US Open: NY gallery

Solomon Kane

Mentor
"Golf reflects the manner of our people. Gentlemanly behavior and strict adherence of the rules are the very essence of the game. Quiet is observed as the other players play, there is no trash talking, cheering, or heckling. Referees are not really needed as each player is considered his own judge (and scorekeeper too). "

---From JB Cash's 6/26 column

Are we living up to our code? Did any one catch the show ( I think it was on ESPN) about New York Galleries at the US Opens? They showed a lot of clips from Bethpage, Winged Foot, etc. A lot of surly white fans with beer cups and turned-back baseball caps, cheering against European whites like Colin Montgomerie, Sergio Garcia, etc.(but never against Tiger). It was reallyunpleasant stuff--howling with delight at missed European putts,making derisive remarks after an inaccurate drive--alljustified in the name of New York "toughness": "This is New York, buddy".said one fan when a player protested.

What do you think? Is this just a New York thing, or have you found this to be true of most US open galleries? Personally, I don't like it--it's unWestern, ungentlemanly and yes even UnAmerican. The Old NY Aristocracy from the Bobby Jones era would have tossed these "fans" off the course!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
From what I read and saw the Wingfoot crowds were mostlycheering Monty. He was razzed big time all over the U.S. for a while there. Garcia flipped the bird in '02 at Bethpage when the gallerykept hooting while Sergio was in that phase where he reloaded dozens of times before finally hitting the ball.

I think lively golf galleries are mostly a good thing, though it's hardly a surprise that they would be nasty toward some white golfers. White fans love to hate white athletes in every sport.

We're certainly a long way from the time when men wore suits to baseball games and women also dressed formally. Just check the crowd shots from cities in any pre-1967 movie and you see an America that is unfathomable today -- homogeneous, well-dressed, polite. Clothes now seem designed to make men look like slobs and women -- including teenage and pre-teen girls -- look like sluts.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
DW:

You'reright,they were nicer to Monty this time. I guess he grew on them (not surprising--he is a likable and valorous Scot). The clips I saw were older, maybe the last time they had the Open or the PGA at Wingfoot (was it 6 years ago?). Or maybe it was Bethpage. Anyway, there was one where Monty shot back at a heckler: "Save it for the Ryder Cup!".

I agree that "lively" is a good thing, and rooting for a golfer is good. When it descends to openly and noisily rooting against a golfer, then it becomes unpleasant, given the nerve-wracking quality of the game. (Of course, it is a competition, and rooting for one guy necessarilyinvolves rooting against another, but the latter aspect should be subdued and kept in one's heart--at least if one is attending the event. Whoeverwas rootingagainst Scott Hoch when he missed that putt should have kept such sentiments in his heart--at least if he is within earshot.)

You're right on target about the dress code. Why people can't put on an Izodknit shirt (or a decent knockoff) and clean tan slacks is beyond me. I wish the country clubs would enforce their dress codes at tournaments.

My memory of New York US Open courses fails me. I know there is Bethpage and Winged Foot, and I think the Westchester Classic course used to be an Open course, but I can't think of the others. Can anyone help me here?

Also, who won the tournament when Hoch missed the 2 footer? I can't remember that either.

Peace and a happy 4th, and a happy summer of golf,to all! May younail every green and never three-putt!

And above all, Sports fans, do not count out Lefty in the British Open!Remember this is the guy who threw a 12 year monkey off his back! Yes....He will recover from his poor decisions...and he will win the claret jug....... I, Criswell, predict.......

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Solomon, it was Nick Faldo who ended up defeating Scott Hoch at the Masters when Hoch missed an 18 inch putt on a playoff holethat would have givenhimthe title, one of the most infamous choke plays in sports history.

I like Monty a lot. He is bright and articulate, but he was an easy target for the American fans, first because despite dominating the European tour he could never win a single tournament on this side of the pond, and secondly because he comes across at times as dour and quick to respond to any slight. That of course only encouraged them to heckle him more.