Mean Joe Greene commercial

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Why is the Mean Joe Greene Pepsi commercial (or maybe it's Coke?) so popular? It's always proclaimed to be one of the best commercials ever and on a show tonight people on line voted it NO. 1 by a large margin. I don't get it. Maybe it's Greene's room brightening smile or natural charisma
smiley5.gif

BTW allmost all of the "best" commercials feature or star blacks. Not a conspiracy though, it's just natural for a 70% white country to want only blacks to star in their advertisement. I know I sure do
smiley7.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
BTW all most all of the "best" commercials feature or star blacks. Not a conspiracy though, it's just natural for a 70% white country to want only blacks to star in their advertisement. I know I sure do
smiley7.gif

I'm sure it's just an effect of the entertainment industries affection for all things diverse, and not a deliberate attempt by any conspirators to affect the socio-political milieu by affectiing the way blacks and other minorites are viewed. The negative effect such advertisements have on the psyche of white people is purely incidental.

smiley36.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
jaxvid said:
BTW all most all of the "best" commercials feature or star blacks. Not a conspiracy though, it's just natural for a 70% white country to want only blacks to star in their advertisement. I know I sure do
smiley7.gif

I'm sure it's just an effect of the entertainment industries affection for all things diverse, and not a deliberate attempt by any conspirators to affect the socio-political milieu by affectiing the way blacks and other minorites are viewed. The negative effect such advertisements have on the psyche of white people is purely incidental.

smiley36.gif

Your affectation effected me in a profound way!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Greene got his nickname because he played for the North Texas Mean Green, but it fit his personality very well. He was the Steelers' number one draft pick in 1969, promptly engaged in a holdout, and when he finally showed up he was notable for what seemed to be a permanent scowl, especially when white people tried to engage him in conversation. He personified the black power radicalism that took hold in the late '60s.

Two incidents I remember him for were slugging Broncos offensive lineman Paul Howard in the stomach as hard as he could during a playoff game; and spitting in the face of Pat Livingston, a respected sports reporter for The Pittsburgh Press, in the locker room when Livingston asked him a question he apparently didn't like. Livingston was in his 60s at the time.

The Coke commercial came out around 1979, and lo and behold Joe Greene could actually smile! Not only that, he had a room brightening, charismatic smile!

The commercial totally changed Greene's image. Now most people think of him as a big teddy bear (and he did eventually mellow out as he grew older). But the popularity of that commercial shows how desperateso many whites are for blacks to like them, and how overjoyed they are when they pretend they do.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good points there Don. Its a good thing the nickname stuck anyway.

The superbowl should be broadcasted without any commercials.

foreverfree

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
Greene got his nickname because he played for the North Texas Mean Green, but it fit his personality very well.  He was the Steelers' number one draft pick in 1969, promptly engaged in a holdout, and when he finally showed up he was notable for what seemed to be a permanent scowl, especially when white people tried to engage him in conversation.   He personified the black power radicalism that took hold in the late '60s.

Two incidents I remember him for were slugging Broncos offensive lineman Paul Howard in the stomach as hard as he could during a playoff game; and spitting in the face of Pat Livingston, a respected sports reporter for The Pittsburgh Press, in the locker room when Livingston asked him a question he apparently didn't like.  Livingston was in his 60s at the time.

The Coke commercial came out around 1979, and lo and behold Joe Greene could actually smile!  Not only that, he had a room brightening, charismatic smile! 

The commercial totally changed Greene's image.  Now most people think of him as a big teddy bear (and he did eventually mellow out as he grew older).  But the popularity of that commercial shows how desperate so many whites are for blacks to like them, and how overjoyed they are when they pretend they do.

I never knew that about Greene. Then again, I never lived in north TX or western PA.

Have you ever seen the blooper from an outtake for that Coke commercial. After downing that Coke, Greene says "Hey kid - *burp*". That would have been more appropriate for the actual commercial if what you are saying, Don, is true.

Greene acted closer to his reputation a couple of years earlier in a commercial for Hungry Man TV dinners, where he ripped the freezer door off his refrigerator before reaching inside for his Hungry Man.

John

Edited by: foreverfree