Matthew Boling 9.98, 19.92, 45.17 and 8.25 LJ

freedom1

Mentor
He peaked with his indoor 200. Now he is burned out. Hope he doesn't get injured.

freedom1

Mentor
Matthew goes in the 200 at 1 PM today. They have him listed as a Junior. He does not seem like the kind of guy to drop out of college and go pro, but I wish he would.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Did Boling pull out? I suddenly don't see him on the heat lists.

I was about to post the same question? If he did it's smart. Even if he ran a good time his body is worn out as usual due to the
amount of races which all goes back to his coach. Very unhappy with this kids year going up in smoke with the exception of
one huge race in the Indoor National Champs. My guess is that with like Abby Steiners Coach last year, they practiced her less
often and not as hard so she could have fresh legs on race day. Boling is run through boot camp in practices and in races till
where he never makes it even to May without slowing down. This year has been the worst ever. You would think his coach would
have figured it out by now but I guess not. His worst season of track outside of that race.

freedom1

Mentor
Yes. Good move pulling out. There was a strong negative wind. Only one guy broke 21.00. Another bad time would have been bad Matt's psychology and he needs the rest.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
There is a big meet this weekend at LSU, and the Georgia track team will be competing. So I expect Boling will be racing there and hoping to do redeem himself a bit from the previous weeks' performances. I don't know if he is running the 100m or 200m, but I hope the 200m, because he is performing better in that event, and he needs a good performance to boost his confidence.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
There is a big meet this weekend at LSU, and the Georgia track team will be competing. So I expect Boling will be racing there and hoping to do redeem himself a bit from the previous weeks' performances. I don't know if he is running the 100m or 200m, but I hope the 200m, because he is performing better in that event, and he needs a good performance to boost his confidence.

To be honest jacknyc, I think they would be better to give him the weekend off including the relays. Kid is burned out.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Oh, I agree with you!
But since it is a big meet, I highly doubt they will give him the weekend off. Unless he has some sort of minor injury.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Oh, I agree with you!
But since it is a big meet, I highly doubt they will give him the weekend off. Unless he has some sort of minor injury.

One strange thought I had while thinking about all of this. Indoors it was a really off series of races too the
majority of the season. What if the coach is telling him to not run his best in these races to save himself for
when it matters? Sounds crazy I know but look at how slow to average he was indoors all 2023 and then
when it was time to shine he turned on the afterburners. Very odd to see that. Maybe they know something we
don't? Even if this is true(I doubt it but it's possible), what a horrible way to finish your last year of racing in college!

Warhawk_46

Master
Pardon my ignorance, but how is he burned out already? Plenty of track stars run individual and relay races.

I honestly believe it to be his coaching which is horrendous. His confidence is shattered because he starts have been so lousy.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Pardon my ignorance, but how is he burned out already? Plenty of track stars run individual and relay races.

I honestly believe it to be his coaching which is horrendous. His confidence is shattered because he starts have been so lousy.

Yes it's 95 percent the coaching. I have not seen this bad a job of coaching from a supposed high level coach in a very long time. They
will say but he won a couple of national championships, indoors. Yes that is nice but look at the rest of the kids resume. He had one really
impresive month in April of 2022. That is the only time I've seen anything like the times he should be running and faster. The lack of
consistant times, poor form, fatigue, too many or the wrong events entered, etc. etc. I agree with you Warhark. I've said if for a long time
now but very few want to put any blame on her. They just blame Boling as if they are too critical of her job, there may be cries of racist.

Last edited:

Texas Flash

I agree the coaching has been a bit perplexing, and at best seems like a big gamble. But once again I think its a little early to come out with the pitchforks. I dont think there's any way in hell that 1) a coach would tell an athlete to not go all out in their races and 2) that the athlete would actually listen to that. Plus Boling is visibly straining too much for that to be the case.

Lets remember: indoors he couldnt run faster than 20.42 all season until Nationals. Then he runs a 20.31 prelim and a 20.12 final for the fastest time in the world for 2023. That wasnt by accident. They targeted that meet and probably cut down on volume and started doing some speed work for the first time all season in the two-week buildup to the meet. It worked.

I seriously doubt he's done any speedwork this outdoor season. And yes I'm not sure I agree with this training approach - I think its very risky for a number of reasons. My opinion of course is also colored, as I imagine many here are, by the fact that the last two years we know he was completely run into the ground and only got slower as the outdoor season progressed. But I do think they changed things up this year and it might work. We just wont know until the NCAAs possibly.

Warhawk_46

Master
It is just a shame that he was a better outdoor sprinter in high school, by many measures. Seriously hope his peak wasn’t at 18.

But I guess with the crappy Georgia coaching, we won’t really know his potential ceiling until he turns professional and gets a real coach.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Boling is entered in the 100m, 200m, and 4x400m relay, at the LSU Invitational tomorrow.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Boling 10.26 (3.3w) at the LSU meet.
Came in 7th! in his heat.

Best Track Coach ever. It's impossible to say he doesn't have the talent after last year.To run times
of 9.98 and 19.92 both wind legal does not happen to someone without a heck of alot of talent. She
ruined the kid. It's embarassing and it's a humiliation tour. It's to be expected in anti white woke world.

They me also add in that the 19.92 was run into a negative 0.9 wind!

Warhawk_46

Master
I’m telling you guys, I think they are screwing him up on purpose. Why is a woman coaching a men’s track team?

Everything about Bollig is wrong now.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's beyond depressing to read this thread now. I agree with what you said warhawk, jacknyc and all the other posters. I feel
the same way. We thought Christophe was a waste but he had a longer time to shine and won medals at Olympics and the
World Champs. I hope if and when Boling can return to form to go back and delete some of these posts as that is not how
we want to remember the kid. I don't know. Maybe I will leave them but this is just horrible. It's like taking Michael Phelps
and teaching him how to forgot how to swim. It's so sad and depressing but I just get angry more than anything.

One of the most Epic Wastes of Talent of All Time. Thank God he is only 22 but what if he loses his desire. This season just sucks!

greyghost

Mentor
I reckon boling will peak when it counts ie ..ncaas or the nationals ...
But I do think it will be next season outdoors before he reaps the benefits of the new base being laid ...
So don’t fret over anything ....his time will come .....and Avery similar athlete Charlie Dobson is in for a break through season at international level ..mark my words ...