Martinez vs Murray

Westside

Hall of Famer
P4P Undisputed Middleweight King Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez will be taking on undefeated middleweight fighter from England, Martin Murray. Should be a decent scrap for the 1st four or five rds. Then Sergio's ability, speed and power will take over and TKO a game Murray in rd 8 or 9. I wish it would be Kid cocoa Quillian taking a beating instead, but that may happen later in the night here in jew york. Big boxing weekend, many marquee fights tonight. Got the beer ready and Showtime and HBO on standby!

Last edited:

Westside

Hall of Famer
Ricky Hatton who promotes Murray appears to be in relative good shape. Glad he is not on beer and fried food binges anymore.

Last edited:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
and here

http://kaban.tv/rossiya-2-online

wow - some crowd! i hope they've got enough police there to protect people in case Murray wins...it wouldn't be the first time the ring got stormed by the mob in Argentina - and no love lost between Argentina and the UK, eh?

Last edited:

Westside

Hall of Famer
I had Sergio nipping it by a 1 or 2 pts. Regardless Murray did not dominate outright. The second knockdown which was ruled a slip, would have gotten Murray the nod. They said Martin stepped on Sergio's foot. Murray is a solid fighter. It looks like fathertime is creeping up on Martinez.

TBProdigy

Guru
Proud of both fighters, they put on an amazing show.

The decision stinks to me, I had Murray landing the cleaner, more effective shots and winning

Westside

Hall of Famer
For some inexplicable reason Martin decided to coast the last two rds. He should have stepped on the gas.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Murray justs got robbed

Hey - love your name - the pine barrens is one of my very favorite places.

what i saw of the fight - not much actually - in between the stream constantly freezing up - i thought murray was well ahead. the judges wanted to get out of that place alive i guess.

Martinez had nothing left. All he did was stick his face out and flick his arm out every now and then. Murray should have stormed him the last round and took his head off.

TBProdigy

Guru
Hey - love your name - the pine barrens is one of my very favorite places.

what i saw of the fight - not much actually - in between the stream constantly freezing up - i thought murray was well ahead. the judges wanted to get out of that place alive i guess.

I agree, the judges bottled it.

I don't know what it is about Martinez, when he gets staggered or knocked down he always looks very composed as opposed to a fighter like Khan.(Most fighters would have been finished in the 12th against Chavez Jr)

I was watching the fight with friends socially, so I wasn't exactly scoring the fight as accurately as I would like. I'm a Martinez fan so was rooting for him to win, but my honest opinion is that Martin Murray won the fight. The opening 3 rounds were tight, perhaps Martinez narrowly winning them, but a few were close.

Beginning in the 4th round I thought Murray took over the fight and was landing harder punches, and more frequently than was Sergio. I felt Murray dominated the fight, winning all of the middle rounds up until round 11. Martinez was busier and won rounds 11 and 12.

So, very roughly, my card was about 115-112 for Murray. As I always say, anytime you fight on the road you're taking a huge risk. American judging is usually the worst in my opinion. But anywhere in the world, where you're fighting a champion in his country, it's going to be hard to get a decision win, almost impossible to get a close decision win.

Murray showed some good power, boxing ability and tactics, and a nice uptight defense. Martinez looked noticeably slower and less powerful than he usually does (obviously that can be attributed to his age). Sergio is a great man and was a great boxer, at age 38, his best days are behind him. I dont think he should fight Golovkin because certainly Golovkin will KO him and the more he fights he's risking his health and record. Martinez has been a great champion but clearly, nothing lasts forever and the ride is coming to an end.

Martinez is an alltime great and achieved so much, so he can and should be proud of that! Most boxers dont end their careers on good notes. If you want my opinion I think Martinez should retire. Nothing left to prove, he's done it all already!

Last edited:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
I agree, the judges bottled it.

Reminds me of an incident I read about in wrestling heel (bad guy) Classy Freddy Blassie's autobiography. He was wrasslin in Washington DC before a mostly negro crowd, and Blassie was one of the great wrasslin heels, so his job was getting people to hate him - he was stabbed by fans 23 times - and the ref in the fight was the former famous boxer Two Ton Tony Galento - so in the middle of the fight Blassie whispers to Galento, "How the hell are we gonna get out of here alive?", and Galento says, "I don't know. I'm scared," something like that.

Blassie actually fought Galento in a supposedly legit boxing match in 1943. He got KO'd in 2. It's listed on BoxRec.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Murray did the same thing against Sturm. He lets his foot off the gas in the last few rounds and doesn't go for the KO.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Fully agreed, he looked his age tonight. He was amazing a few years back but tonight seemed a few steps slower.
Dan Rafael of ESPN reported today that Sergio re injured his knee he injured from the Chavez fight, last Saturday and broke his hand in the Murray fight in the second round. Explains why he looked a step or 2 slow. Regardless he will not fight the rest of 2013. He wants to insure his injuries are properly operated on and rehabbed.

In 2014, two huge fights await him. GGG or Chavez Jr. Quillian will also be considered. I hope he can come back from his injuries and be ready for his final fights.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Looks like Murray can get back in the driver's seat regarding his career if he wins his next fight. He is scheduled to fight Chavez Jr on August 8th. He certainly has the ability to win. One thing is clear, he can not give up the last 2 or 3 rounds and expect a win.