marginal black tight ends

referendum

Mentor
With a wave of good white tight ends about to come out of college, I'm wondering what teams might have the potential for a white tight end to take over from a drop friendly black one. Seems to me that the when a white tight end emerges as an important player in the offense, it causes less of a crisis in casteland than if a white running back or wide receiver would. So, I'm optimistic (naive) that some of the best white tight ends coming out of college will have a better chance than a Haas.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I agree. Tight end is an officially sanctioned white available position in the NFL. I also agree that the position will be much more white in the future. Partly because it's OK for whites and partially because whites make better tight ends for a varitety of reasons. Also as we have mentioned here many times nearly all white pass catchers are shuttled to the positon at one point in their career.

Detroit Lions are a good example. They have two white TE's that are excellent. Dan Campbell and Casey FitzSimmons, but for some reason carry the over rated and washed up Marcus Pollard who they should kick to the curb ASAP.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Never underestimate the ability of the Caste System to underutilize white talent even at the positions whites are "permitted" to play.Outside of QB,there are only one or two token starsat a given timeat other positions.Dallas Clark and Heath Miller could be big time stars but won't be. Jason Witten's receiving role was reduced quite a bit this year. Garrett Mills wasn't used at all. Even Jeremy Shockey is constrained quite a bit by clueless Tom Coughlin. He had almost no receptions over 20 yards this year even though he is a very good runner after the catch and can also run defenders over. Todd Heap is in the best situation, but he has an over-the-hill quarterback throwing him the ball, "great leader" that he is of course.

White tight ends are first and foremost expected to be blockers, so I can't be overly optimistic about how the up and coming rookies will be used, seeing how the NFL is the final, draconianend gamein the slotting and weeding out process of talented white football players that begins in grade school.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Jason Witten's receiving role was reduced quite a bit this year.

Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn both have been whining about not getting enough passes, so it is only natural that Witten gets only the left over crumbs.Edited by: Bart

jaxvid said:
I agree. Tight end is an officially sanctioned white available position in the NFL.

I might even go as far as to declare it a "predominantly White" position. I was calculating the numbers last year on NFL.com, and Whites had a slight majority by way of numbers at that position in the NFL. We accounted for something like 55% of all the TEs in the league. As far as combatting the caste system...its a start.
smiley2.gif

PitBull

Guru
Most black receivers don't like to block--so put the white guy at the
position. He'll block. Same deal with fullback. This laziness of blacks
actually works in white guys favor at these positions.

PitBull said:
Most black receivers don't like to block--so put the white guy at the
position. He'll block. Same deal with fullback. This laziness of blacks
actually works in white guys favor at these positions.

Yeah, good point PitBull. White guys have basically become the "Mexican day laborors" of the NFL. We do all the jobs that nobody wants. And often times for less money as well.
smiley18.gif
Edited by: Ground Fighter

backrow

Hall of Famer
white players aren't stupid, they watch NFL and seeing how being a white wide receiver in the NFL is next to impossible, they move to more system correct position of tight end. having the athletism and hands of wide receiver and work ethic high enough to block and not whine about it, they end up as TEs.

Collinsworth actually complimented Chris Cooley of the Redskins; saying he leads tight ends in yards after the catch this season. 'He just makes people miss.' Nothing backhanded about it.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Cooley is very solid, he might be the best TE in the league at the moment, along with Todd Heap.