Madden Curse

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Shaun Alexander joins a long list of Madden Football "victims," players who appeared on the cover of the video game and . . .

PLAYER YEAR VERSION WHAT WENT WRONG
Garrison Hearst 1998/1999 Injured ankle, didn't play for 3 years

Barry Sanders 1999/2000* Retired unexpectedly at training camp

Dorsey Levens 1999/2000* Cut by Pack in 2001, never bounced back

Eddie George 2000/2001 Had best season, then faded badly

Daunte Culpepper 2001/2002 Played only 11 games, 14 TDs (39 in '00)

Marshall Faulk 2002/2003 Injured ankle, no more 1,000-yd seasons

Michael Vick 2003/2004 Broke leg 1 day after game was released

Ray Lewis 2004/2005 Only 100 tackles, no INTs, no playoffs

Donovan McNabb 2005/2006 Had sports hernia surgery, missed playoffs

Shaun Alexander 2006 2007 Out indefinitely with cracked bone in foot

*-Madden 2000 had Sanders in background behind Madden on most covers; others had Levens by himself.

Some interesting choices here, especially at the QB position. I'd expect the reigning Super Bowl Champion QB to be on it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, thats what I've been thinking, Bear Arms. I guess the day he puts a white player on the cover will be the day my fireplace freezes up. You know, maybe he's doing the white players a favor after all by not cursing them!
smiley36.gif

Thats no coincidene. That, my friends, IS a curse! Yeah, I don't want to see any of the following faces on that cover: Z. Thomas, Urlacher, Welker, Dwight, Finneran (scratch him, he's already injured
smiley7.gif
), Hawk, Heap, Shockey, Cooley, Witten or any other White players whos careers depend on it.
smiley36.gif

Triad

Mentor
10 game cover boys, all black. I wonder if Madden is a big caste system supporter.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Triad said:
10 game cover boys, all black. I wonder if Madden is a big caste system supporter.

All blacks -- even the quarterbacks?What a great tool for indoctrinating the kids of this country. If you get em when they're young it's almost impossible to change their minds in the future.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There must be an equivalent to Madden in other sports. I'll bet the hockey game has featured Jarome Iginla on the cover at least once. If there's video golf, Tiger's probablythe cover boyevery year. Tennis would be monopolized by the Williams girls. My guess would be that two-time MVP Steve Nash hasn't been on the cover of the most popular basketball game, nor Dirk. Why is the often-proclaimed importance of "diversity" and of racial role models in sports always a one-way street in favor of blacks?

Don Wassall said:
There must be an equivalent to Madden in other sports.  I'll bet the hockey game has featured Jarome Iginla on the cover at least once.  If there's video golf, Tiger's probably the cover boy every year.  Tennis would be monopolized by the Williams girls.  My guess would be that two-time MVP Steve Nash hasn't been on the cover of the most popular basketball game, nor Dirk.  Why is the often-proclaimed importance of "diversity" and of racial role models in sports always a one-way street in favor of blacks?

Don, you are 100% on. I might have been "NHL Hitz" for Playstation that had Iginla on the cover. I'm not totally sure (I don't play video games), but I remember being in Best Buy with one of my buddies and seeing Iginla's shining mulatto face on the cover of a hockey video game. I guess the geniuses from that company felt players, such as Jaromir Jagr, weren't good enough.
smiley7.gif

When the O.J. Simpson Trial jury turned out to be 75% black (9 of 12), Johnnie Cochran called it a "diverse" jury. Blacks think "diversity" means "all black," or nearly so.

Kiwi

In regards to the Madden equivalent in other sports, when rugby 2005 was released by ea sports, the French, English, Australian, South African and New Zealand versions of the game had a black (or non-white) player on the cover. The only exception to this was the Irish version, where they couldn't put a black guy on the cover because there were no black players in the Ireland squad.

This trend was also repeated on the ea sports website where they showed only black players. I think this was partly a marketing ploy to try and sell rugby to the US market by showing that rugby also had great "athletes" playing the game.

However, for rugby 2006 this has changed and now for the most part the best players, regardless of race, are shown on the front cover.

Triad

Mentor
sport historian said:
Blacks think "diversity" means "all black," or nearly so.

They also equate diversity with nonwhite.