lurker introduction

bigright

i have been lurking here for a long long time. i never decided to join until my kiddos got into sports and this past football season my anger just welled up so this may also soundlike a vent as well. sorry. anyway, i'm a 37 year old physician in texas. grew up in the chicagoland area. i had two things going against me in my athletic pursuits, one i am white, really really white and my parents thought it cool to start me in school early so i was, for a time, a 16 year old senior in highschool.
smiley7.gif

well, started off playing basketball at a small catholic school in 5th grade. i was told all the "facts" that the blacks were more athletic, even convinced by a coach they had an extra tendon in their legs that helped them run faster and jump higher.
smiley11.gif
anyway, despite this i was always fast, faster than the black kids. i dunked a basketball for the first time my junior year of highschool, started as a 15 year old at 5'7" tall. despite this and my 100meter times being sub 11 second at that time i was never the "bestathlete" it was always bestowed upon some black kid i could outjump, outlift and outrun. i was NEVER thrown out stealing in baseball and stole home 8 times and was never "considered" the fastest on the team. it wasn't until i started boxing at 14 that my coach who had a degree in excercise physiology told me that as fast as my hands were i should've been a sprinter and that my coaches were idiots and crushed the fast twitch myth. sooooooooo finally i ended up by the time i was married at 22 with PR's of sub 10.5 in the 100, bp of 505 at 184 lbs bodyweight and a vert over 40". was at a junior college working out in east texas in 1995 and some of the football players told me i should try out to walk on and i approached the coach. he asked my times and what i lifted. i told him and got the "bullsh*t" response and he walked off. let a black kid try out a week later. anyway, now my kiddos are getting the same crap, despite being the 3rd fastest at the league tryouts in the 30 meter dash and the 8th biggest in the league he never carried the ball in favor of a "super athletic" black kid that he could outrun quite obviously and outweighed by 30lbs. i had let it all go until this crap started happening to my children. sorry for the rant, but great to be here. would've never heard of many of these guys like lemaitre if not for this site.

btw, for those that call bullsh*t on my times or my story, staton jobe from westlake in texas is my cousin and we have a long long history of fast whiteboys in our family that started long before him and will continue for quite awhile if me and some of my cousin's kids are any indication. just like to have them get a fair shot.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
bigright, welcome to the posting side of CF! Interesting story, and not unlike some other posters who have shared with us in the past. I imagine it must be tough to see the same mess happen to your kids that happened to you. Have you tried talking to their coaches or someone else in a power position who might have an open mind about these things?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Welcome to the board my white brother. We are all family here. We support each other. You should be proactive with the coach. Tell him how you feel in a respectful manner. We need to open up their minds and stop the stereotypes. Good luck my friend and welcome to the board. I look forward to many more of your posts.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Awesome introduction. Welcome to Caste Football.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Welcome to Caste Football partner!