Lucian Bute vs. Kelly Pavlik

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Kelly Pavlik is moving up to 168 because he's having a difficult time making 160 now.

HBO is reportedly pushing for a fight between Kelly and Lucian Bute. Bute has a fight in Romania in July, but this would likely be scheduled for the late fall in Montreal or Quebec City.

If it happens, this will be a great fight. You can't go wrong with two world-class white ring warriors!
smiley20.gif

Westside

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I have a bad feeling about Kelly. I feel that Bute is a bigger version of Sergio and someone is kidding himself by say "I am having a hard time making 160 lbs." Just days before the Martinez fight, Kelly went on record saying that camp was going well and he had no problem making 160 lbs. Then he loses and out comes the can of excuses.

If Kelly and Bute fight, I am afraid Kelly is in for a long and disasterous night.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Just to show the bias against white fighters, Fightnews has Andre Ward as their top super middleweight. No Lucian Bute?

Blue Devils

Mentor
Kelly should fire his manager/promoter. They keep matching him up against guys who stylistically are all wrong for him. First Hopkins, then Martinez, now Bute
smiley29.gif

JReb1

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
Just to show the bias against white fighters, Fightnews has Andre Ward as their top super middleweight. No Lucian Bute?

True, Bute IMO is easily the best SMW right now and probably the only SMW who could beat Calzaghe if he came out of retirement.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
I have read that Pavlik will have a rematch with Martinez.  What is the deal? Is he fighting Bute or Martinez?

Kelly is not going to take the rematch because he has too much trouble making 160.

His next fight will be at 168.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Parody said:
whiteathlete33 said:
I have read that Pavlik will have a rematch with Martinez. What is the deal? Is he fighting Bute or Martinez?

Kelly is not going to take the rematch because he has too much trouble making 160.

His next fight will be at 168.

Against Bute? That is career suicide for Kelly.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Against Bute?  That is career suicide for Kelly.

If his management is any good, they'll have him fight a warm-up at 168 against a fringe contender.

It seems to me Bob Arum has done a sh*tty job with Pavlik during the past two years. Hopkins was a "nothing to gain, everything to lose" opponent. Martinez was a bad style matchup.

JReb1

Mentor
Bute is the worst style for Pavlik to face and he has nothing more than a punchers chance to beat Bute. IMHO it would be much better and safer for KP to take a tuneup fight at SMW first and the try to get fights with Froch, Kessler and Abraham since all will be exciting fights that Pavlik has realistic chances to win...