Lou Dobbs Leaving CNN

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
CNN's sole attention & praise worthy member is leaving. Hopefully, Lou will continue to stay vocal & active for the Republic!

Lou Dobbs says he is leaving CNN

AP

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer David Bauder, Ap Television Writer â€" 20 mins ago

NEW YORK â€" CNN's Lou Dobbs, a lightning rod for criticism following his transition from a business journalist to an opinionated anchor on such issues as illegal immigration, told viewers on Wednesday that he was quitting his nightly show to pursue new opportunities.

"This will be my last broadcast," Dobbs said after giving the day's headlines. Dobbs, who hosts a daily radio show unrelated to CNN, said the network had allowed him to be released early from his contract.

Dobbs was a CNN original, signing on when the cable network started in 1980. For much of that time, he hosted a nightly business broadcast that became one of the most influential shows in the corporate world, and CNN's most profitable show for advertising revenue.

But Dobbs said his world view changed after the 2001 terrorist attacks and corporate corruption scandals, and he began to more freely express his opinions. He was particularly persistent in bringing the immigration issue to the fore, winning him both higher ratings and enemies. Latino groups had an active petition drive seeking his removal.

His presence became awkward for CNN, particularly as it began emphasizing reporting and non-opinion shows. He angered management this summer by pressing questions about President Barack Obama's birth site after CNN reporters determined there was no issue.

Dobbs said the decision came after many months of discussion with CNN U.S. President Jon Klein. Dobbs said he wanted to concentrate on his role as a commentator and on advocacy journalism.

Klein hailed Dobbs' "appetite for big ideas, the megawatt smile and larger than life presence he brought to our newsroom."

"With characteristic forthrightness, Lou has now decided to carry the banner of advocacy journalism elsewhere," Klein said. "We respect his decision."

Dobbs said he was proud of his role in helping to build the first cable news network. He said some leaders in media, politics and business "have been urging me to go beyond my role here at CNN and to engage in constructive problem-solving."

Seated at an anchor desk in front of a screen with a fluttering American flag, Dobbs mentioned his interest in issues such as health care, jobs, immigration, climate change and the wars.

"Unfortunately, these issues are now defined in the public arena by partisanship and ideology rather than rigorous empirical thought and forthright analysis and discussion," he said. "I will be working diligently to change that as best I can."

His resignation was hailed by activists who were seeking his ouster.

"Our contention all along was that Lou Dobbs â€" who has a long history of spreading lies and conspiracy theories about immigrants and Latinos â€" does not belong on the most trusted name in news," said Roberto Lovato, co-founder of Presente.org. "We are thrilled that Dobbs no longer has the legitimate platform from which to incite fear and hate."

Tom Saenz, president of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the leading Latino legal organization, said, "I think the Latino community can and should celebrate that Lou Dobbs is no longer on CNN."

Dobbs did not immediately return telephone and e-mail messages to talk about his critics.

Although he joined CNN in 1980, Dobbs left the network for two year in 1999, after angrily complaining on the air about a decision by then-CNN President Rick Kaplan to switch away from his show to a live news event. An Internet venture failed and when Kaplan left CNN, Dobbs returned.

A decision on who will replace Dobbs is expected to be announced on Thursday.

***Reference article...

Europe

Mentor
Why is there an organization that represents immigrants?Who represents the white male born in the US?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope Lou does get another show somewhere soon. He's the only reason I ever turn to CNN.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I think he should follow Glen Beck over to Fox. The Fox News Channel is far from perfect but it is still far more enjoyable than the ultra liberal CNN & MSNBC.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I don't care much for Lou Dobbs, although I'll give him credit for the work he's done to spotlight the issue of hordes of illegals getting across our borders.

If a run at political office is not in the works, I'd say a move to Fox News will be his next home.

guest301

Hall of Famer
white lightning said:
I think he should follow Glen Beck over to Fox. The Fox News Channel is far from perfect but it is still far more enjoyable than the ultra liberal CNN & MSNBC.

Exactly my thoughts. I have the perfect time slot for him, the 7pm eastern time slot would be perfect, get the lame Shephard Smith out of there and put Lou Dobbs in there as the perfect lead in to the Factor. It will really piss Geraldo Rivera off if Dobbs gets a job at FNC. Rivera is always taking potshots at Dobbs over the illegal immigration issue. Edited by: guest301

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This can be a positive depending on what Dobbs does next. He may be even more influential now that he has his independence and can pick and choose what he does. Dobbs, Ron Paul and Jim Traficant can all be major leaders in the fight to rescue this nation from its destroyers.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Release from Richard Cohen of the SPLC.

http://www.splcenter.org/news/item.jsp?aid=406

Statement by SPLC President Richard Cohen on the Departure of Lou Dobbs from CNN

Earlier this year, we called upon CNN to remove Lou Dobbs from the air for trading in falsehoods and racist conspiracy theories. Tonight we are glad that Dobbs has announced his departure from his influential position at CNN.

In his announcement, Dobbs complained that the public debate over important issues is now defined by "partisanship and ideology rather than rigorous empirical thought and forthright analysis and discussion."

The truth is, Dobbs has done as much as anyone to poison the immigration debate by repeatedly reporting false information about immigrants. The most outrageous statement was his claim that immigrants were responsible for bringing thousands of new cases of leprosy to the United States during a recent three-year period. He also lent legitimacy to conspiracy theories, such as the claim that undocumented immigrants are part of a plot to reconquer the American Southwest. Most recently, he gave credence to the utterly baseless idea that President Obama is not a native-born American citizen.

Dobbs was certainly capable of fine journalism. But, as his ratings grew, he became a prisoner of the independent image he tried to cultivate, someone seemingly incapable of admitting a mistake. CNN should have asked him to resign long ago.

Menelik

Mentor
guest301 said:
white lightning said:

Exactly my thoughts. I have the perfect time slot for him, the 7pm eastern time slot would be perfect, get the lame Shephard Smith out of there and put Lou Dobbs in there as the perfect lead in to the Factor. It will really piss Geraldo Rivera off if Dobbs gets a job at FNC. Rivera is always taking potshots at Dobbs over the illegal immigration issue.

Good line up!
smiley32.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
He could also line up at the Fox Business Channel along with new acquisition John Stossel and Don Imus. I don't get that channel but I will ask my cable company about it.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I think Dobbs on the Fox Business Channel would be good fit. Right before Happy Hour. Rebecca Diamond could still be my afternoon treat!!!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
And now, Lou Dobbs in considering a run for POTUS in 2012. Well, if he can get us pointed in the right direction on immigration, which is threatening to overrun the country (and one of the MAIN reasons I fled CA) it might be worth looking at......