Krzysztof Wlodarczyk

Rebajlo

Mentor
Krzysztof Wlodarczyk retained his title, knocking out Danny Green in the 11th round:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ot...-out-danny-green/story-fn4pw13c-1226210700659

697390-danny-green-knocked-out.jpg

Right, it's just past midnight so I'm pissing off to bed...

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I didn't see the fight but according to several articles Wlodarczyk was down at least a few rounds at the time of the stoppage. It seems as if Wlodarczyk escaped with a victory.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I didn't see the fight but according to several articles Wlodarczyk was down at least a few rounds at the time of the stoppage. It seems as if Wlodarczyk escaped with a victory.

He should have been a round or so ahead on the cards, but he was going to get robbed by the judges. Props to him - he did what a fighter on the road has to do to be sure he wins.

Rebajlo

Mentor
He should have been a round or so ahead on the cards, but he was going to get robbed by the judges. Props to him - he did what a fighter on the road has to do to be sure he wins.

That's what boxing should be about - knocking the other bloke out. Deciding "winners" on points is bollocks as it's always open to manipulation.

I've always been of the opinion that bouts should only end when one geezer cannot continue (a la underground bare knuckle events). Sure, I know that such a regulation would "complicate" things but it would put an end, for example, to "fighters" running away for the duration yet still receiving a bogus points victory.

After all, the result is quite unambiguous when - as in this bout - one of the boxers is sprawled semi-conscious through the ropes with a busted jaw and a litre of blood pouring out of his nose...

werewolf

Hall of Famer
That's what boxing should be about - knocking the other bloke out. Deciding "winners" on points is bollocks as it's always open to manipulation.

I've always been of the opinion that bouts should only end when one geezer cannot continue (a la underground bare knuckle events). Sure, I know that such a regulation would "complicate" things but it would put an end, for example, to "fighters" running away for the duration yet still receiving a bogus points victory.

After all, the result is quite unambiguous when - as in this bout - one of the boxers is sprawled semi-conscious through the ropes with a busted jaw and a litre of blood pouring out of his nose...

I think that's too brutal. The idea is that it's a sport not a fight to the death. Don't want the participants to mess up their whole lives after one contest do we? Besides the way things are, crooked refs dive in more or less whenever they please to call the fight off in favor of the house fighter, as the ref did in the fat slob negro Cuban's fight just before he fought - if you can call what he did fought - Vitali, when he was so exhausted against Austin that the house ref had to dive in and save his fat ass from falling down, and then called it a KO in his favor. Of course we could do away with refs and judges too...

No question, though, the system they got now is totally corrupt.

Rebajlo

Mentor
I think that's too brutal. The idea is that it's a sport not a fight to the death. Don't want the participants to mess up their whole lives after one contest do we? Besides the way things are, crooked refs dive in more or less whenever they please to call the fight off in favor of the house fighter, as the ref did in the fat slob negro Cuban's fight just before he fought - if you can call what he did fought - Vitali, when he was so exhausted against Austin that the house ref had to dive in and save his fat ass from falling down, and then called it a KO in his favor. Of course we could do away with refs and judges too...

No question, though, the system they got now is totally corrupt.

Werewolf - It appears that You got the wrong end of the stick, mate. I wasn't saying that modern boxing should replicate 100+ round Regency or Victorian era bouts or that it should be compulsory to wear a cestus on the dominant hand or that fights should continue to the death. :icon_wink:

In an ideal world, I'd like to see a boxing setup which would eliminate the "judges' decision" and thereby force both contestants to fight more aggressively. Boxing is a combat sport and winners shouldn't be determined by "judges" - we're not talking about figure skating or synchronised swimming...

I was thinking along the lines of a series of incentives and disincentives. For example, if a bout is concluded by stoppage within the standard 12 rounds, both fighters receive their full shares of the purse. If, however, both are still able to continue at the end of the twelfth round, then instead of looking to judges Goldberg, Goldstein and Goldman to name a "winner" an "overtime" round ensues (and both fighters automatically forfeit 20% of their share of the purse). If the initial overtime round proves inconclusive, another follows (with a further 20% purse reduction) and so on, with an upper limit of 17 rounds.

If the 17 rounds fail to deliver a result, a "no decision" ruling is declared - binding both boxers to a compulsory rematch. The fear of potential eventual defeat as a consequence of physical exhaustion and the knowledge that 5 extra rounds could erase one's earnings would ensure that the vast majority of fights were decided by knockout or technical knockout within twelve rounds.

I mentioned underground bare knuckle events as I attended a fair few in my late teens and early twenties and can tell You that the bouts didn't last for anywhere near twelve three-minute rounds, nor did they involve judges' decisions. Were they comparatively brutal? Maybe, but at least the winners were decided in the ring, the warehouse or on wasteland and not by some poxy judges. Whether or not certain individuals were paid to take dives is a separate matter...

The problem of "judging" also bedevils Mixed Martial Arts. In the early days of the sport, two blokes entered the ocatgon and one emerged - the other was either knocked out or eventually tapped out. Now, of course, there are rounds and judges - and, funnily enough, an overrepresentation of blacks and bean boys...

Keep in mind that all of this is simply Rebajlo's somewhat fanciful concept which, for obvious reasons, will never see the light of day... :icon_wink:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Rebajlo - Very good post. It requires some thought to properly respond. But for now I think perhaps you are proposing quite a different sport than modern Marquiss of Q boxing, perhaps a cross between boxing and UFC.

Some say that bare knuckle boxing was safer than modern boxing because the contestants didn't punch as hard for fear of damaging their hands - but then just your luck they might put you in with some ape-like mug with giant bomb proof hands. Different sport. Bare knickle would favor giant bomb-proof hands, and guys like Marciano who, I believe, had small hands, would be at a disadvantage. Different sport.

Your post bears thinking about. Boxing is so very corrupt now, especially the judging and refereeing and match making - and - I guess almost everything. It needs a lot of changes if it wants to continue to be accepted as a legitimate sport and not "sports entertainment" like wrasslin.

ww

frederic38

Hall of Famer
i enjoy seeing KOs, but i also love watching olympic boxing, where there are very few KOs, and where the heads of the fighters are protected, in addition to the gloves
it looks a little bit like fencing, the sport i did
at the end of the match when you try to attack to touch the opponent because you know he has more points than you, it's exciting i think
of course when you count points there is much more possibility of corruption

bare knuckle is less dangerous for health because you get KO in one hit usually, if the hit is powerfull, so the brain takes a lot less damage than in long boxing match, where you can take a lot of very powerfull blows

Last edited:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
bare knuckle is less dangerous for health because you get KO in one hit usually, if the hit is powerfull, so the brain takes a lot less damage than in long boxing match, where you can take a lot of very powerfull blows

Not really. The old bare knuckle boxing matches used to go on a lot longer than modern fights. John L. Sullivan, the last bare knuckle heavyweight champion, knocked out Jake Kilrain in round 75 of a scheduled 80 round bout to win the championship in 1889. The longest bare knuckle fight on record took place in Australia in 1856 - 6 hours 15 minutes.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
Not really. The old bare knuckle boxing matches used to go on a lot longer than modern fights. John L. Sullivan, the last bare knuckle heavyweight champion, knocked out Jake Kilrain in round 75 of a scheduled 80 round bout to win the championship in 1889. The longest bare knuckle fight on record took place in Australia in 1856 - 6 hours 15 minutes.

wow, i didn't know that
what i said applies to MMA in general, which are beleived to be more dangerous because more violent, but actually less dangerous for the brain because of the reasons i gave

i guessed it would apply to bare knuckle boxing too :tongue:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes pace judgement was more important than power. The top fighters like Sullivan hung back and waited until their opponent was doubled over until they went for the kill. If you ever see Irish Traveller fights, they fight similar(with less skills obviously). I think the travellers fight with no rounds until one man is ko'd or quits. There isn't a ten count and minimal wrestling and no head butts or elbows are allowed.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Looks like Wlodarczyk be fighting Palacios next:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/rematch-wlodarczyk-palacios-ii-in-poland-113810

“It was of course hard to negotiate with such an experienced and shrewd boxing businessman like Don King but I’m happy to announce that a WBC cruiserweight fight between defending champion Krzysztof “Diablo ” Włodarczyk (46-2, 33 KO) and #1 WBC ranked mandatory challenger Francisco “Wizard” Palacios (21-1, 13 KO) will happen again in Poland,” said “Diablo” promoter Andrzej Wasilewski from 12rounds KnockOut Promotions. “Right now we are working on the possible fight date, but of course the most important fact is that the fight will be again in Poland,” added the Polish promoter.

The first fight between Włodarczyk and Palacios happened on April 2 last year, ending after an uninspired 12-round bout with controversial split decision for the hometown favorite. For the rematch, both the titleholder Włodarczyk and Puerto Rico’s Palacios are promising that the judges will not be needed and their rematch will end in the knockout.

TBProdigy

Guru
Missed it watching the Burns & Mitchell fight, what was the outcome?

Or is hasn't started yet?

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
from fightnews.com

In a rematch, WBC cruiserweight champion Krzysztof “Diabloâ€￾ Wlodarczyk (47-2-1, 33 KOs) retained his title with a twelve round unanimous decision over mandatory challenger Francisco “The Wizardâ€￾ Palacios (21-2, 13 KOs) on Saturday night at the Hala Stulecia in Wroclaw, Poland.

Wlodarczyk won the first fight by split decision, but this time it was more definitive as he outworked Palacios en route to a 116-112, 117-112, 116-112 nod.

I scored it 116-112 for Krzysztof.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I didn`t get a chance to watch the fight today, but I did get a chance to checkout some boxing sites and boxing forums and read a "round by round" of the fight. Sounded like a great fight.

Have to be honest that I fully expected Rakhim Chakhkiev to win by KO. I knew that Wlodarczyk was a tough guy, who can hit, and decent boxing skills. But I did think the Russian's Olympic background (Chakhkiev was a Gold Medalist in 2008) would give him an advantage. Ive seen both guys fight before, and though both have looked good, I thought Chakhkiev would pull it out.

Looks like Kris proved me wrong and thats awesome for him!

Congrats to Kris on an amazing, come from behind, underdog win! Chakhkiev is a very strong guy, so for Kris to win, is an amazing win for Kris Wlodarczyk. Congrats to him on a great win.

I havent seen the fight yet, so will have to catch it later today or tomorrow on youtube!

Last edited:

TBProdigy

Guru
Fight of the year!

Wlodarczyk takes a beating for several rounds, I thought his corner was going to stop it...

Then he knocks Chakhkiev down four times and wins by KO. Incredible comeback.

Here's the ending, Russian crowd goes silent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujvlL8u2llI&feature=youtu.be

I always miss the great boxing cards in Russia/Germany, its always over by the time I decide to check the evening boxing listings.

Very surprised Wlodarczyk won!