Krasniqi vs. Thompson

referendum

Mentor
On Saturday, July 14, Luan Krasniqi, who is ethnic Albanian I believe, will be fighting Tony Thompson in a WBO title eliminator. The fight winner will have a good shot at taking on the winner of Ibragimov/Chagaev.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I would have sooner seen Vladimir Virchis or young Alexander Dimitrenko against Thompson. I think Luan Krasniqi may be a shot fighter, he's faced a lot of heavy punchers in his career.

referendum

Mentor
JD, looks like you were right on this one, Thompson wins in 5th round stoppage, meaning Thompson is next in line for title shot on WBO side of whoever wins Chagaev Ibragimov.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Yes, Thompson won this one. Personally I did not care very much if Krasniki won or not. He's Albanian but not an Orthodox Albanian -a Muslim one. That in itself should be meaningless but when I checked out his background with Universum promotions he said his favourite fighter -his idol- was Muhammed Ali. I don't favour white althetes who idolize black athletes. We NEVER hear of black athletes idolizing white ones.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Thompson beat him from pillar to post. In my opinion Krasniqi isn't really very good. I think Krasniqi suffered a concusion as he barely protested the fairly quick stoppage. Anyway Thompson will be cannon fodder to any hard punching champion.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
White is right, I agree, Thompson will be target practice for that brick sh#thouse built Chagaev or that fast, super skilled and tricky southpaw Ibragimov. But at least we get to watch another black/white fight.

Honestly, I would say there are a number of fighters more deserving of a title shot than either Tony Thompson, or Luan Krasniqi.
Sergei Lyakovich for one. Alexander Dimitrenko, Wladamir Virchis, (like another poster said) even a young Eddie Chambers. But Tony Thompsom? I have seen him fight a few times and I honestly don't think he deserves to be ranked where he is. The same goes for Krasniqi. I tell ya this ranking system (if you want to call it a system at all) needs to be revamped so the most deserving fighters can get a shot at the title.

freedom1

Mentor
American heavy Tony Thompson stopped German Luan Krasniqi in five one-sided rounds in the headliner of Universum´s big show at a sold out Color Line Arena. Krasniqi took a steady beating from the beginning, had lost all four completed rounds and while not knocked down referee Mark Nelson stopped it at 2.39 of the fifth. There were no protests but the crowd bood both the stoppage and Krasniqi´s lethargic performance. It was as if he had no clue in how to get through Thompson´s long reach and tricky southpaw style.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wasn't Krasniqi winning his fight with Brewster til he was eventually KO'd in the 9th? I seem to recall we all thought he was pretty good back then.

white is right

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Wasn't Krasniqi winning his fight with Brewster til he was eventually KO'd in the 9th? I seem to recall we all thought he was pretty good back then.
He was but, I saw him quit against the relatively mediocre Saleta in a Euro title fight. He has some dog in him. At 36 this was probably is last chance at a championship run.