Kim keeps Gulbis winless with putt

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Gee another article commenting that Gulbis has not won on tour despite all the hype she gets for being so hot. Wonder why you never see these types of articles about Wie?? Hmmmm, I wonder, what is the difference between Gulbis and Wie that causes the media to constantly bemoan Gulbis not winning but has nothing but praise for Wie's non-win career???? What can it be???

Kim keeps Gulbis winless with sudden-death putt

By RUSTY MILLER, AP Sports Writer
July 17, 2006

AP - Jul 16, 8:54 pm EDT
More Photos

SYLVANIA, Ohio (AP) -- Natalie Gulbis tried hard to put a good spin on another weekend without a win.

"It's not like I finished last," she said. "There's a lot of positive stuff here."

Just not a win. Again.

Mi Hyun Kim rolled in an 18-foot birdie putt on the third playoff hole on Sunday to beat Gulbis and win the Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic.

Despite being one of the best-known players on the LPGA Tour, Gulbis is winless in 4 1/2 years as a pro. She'd trade all the magazine covers and calendar pictures for one Sunday in the winner's circle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Yes No
Yes No
Yes No

"I'm always smiling," she said. "But it's very upsetting."

Kim earned $180,000 for her second victory of the year and seventh in seven seasons on the tour. The South Korean also won the Ginn Clubs & Resort Open in April.

"She had soooo many fans!" Kim said. "I still cannot hear."

But Kim was emboldened by the fact that not everyone was cheering for Gulbis.

"I understand that I'm Korean and that many Americans fans are rooting for Natalie," Kim said. "I was happy that a few people said my name or my nickname, or 'Go Mi Hyun Kim."'

After birdieing six of her first 10 holes in the final round -- and leading by four shots at one point -- Gulbis parred the last 11 to waste some terrific birdie opportunities.

"I had chances," she said. "It's not like I didn't have chances."

Gulbis, who had five consecutive birdies on the front nine in the final round, was looking at a 12-footer for birdie and the win on the second playoff hole. But she missed it.

After Kim hit her clutch putt on the final playoff hole, Gulbis was wide on a 9-foot putt to continue the playoff.

AP - Jul 16, 8:53 pm EDT
More Photos

"I won and I got a trophy," Kim said. "So I'm very happy."

The three top finishers each closed with 6-under 65s, with Kim and Gulbis completing regulation at 18-under 266. Paula Creamer, who birdied Nos. 14, 15, 16 and 17 but missed a 12-footer at 18 that would have gotten her into the playoff, even sat down in the grass near the 18th green to watch the playoff.

"What are you going to do?" Creamer said. "I made one at Sybase (to win in 2005) and this time I missed it. Next time I'm hopeful it'll go in."

Both Kim and Gulbis missed birdie putts of about 12 feet on the first playoff hole. Gulbis had the advantage on the extra hole, but missed another 12-footer that would have given her the win.

"If she makes that putt ... then God gave it to her for a win," Kim said.

Se Ri Pak closed with a 66 to finish fourth at 268. She was trying to become only the third woman to win the same tournament five times. Mickey Wright won the Sea Island Open five times, and Annika Sorenstam has won the Samsung World Championship and the Mizuno Classic five times each. Sorenstam won the Mizuno five years in a row (2001-05).

Reilley Rankin shot a 70 and was at 272, with Brittany Lang (66) and Sung Ah Yim (70) at 274.

Creamer jumped into contention with birdies at 14, 15,16 and 17 to draw within a shot of Gulbis.

Kim's 4-footer for birdie at 16 drew her within a shot, then pulled even with another birdie at 17 after spinning a wedge to 6 feet.

At the 72nd hole, first Creamer, then Gulbis, and finally Kim all missed birdie putts of around 10 to 12 feet. Creamer needed hers to make the playoff.

The course was pounded by 2 inches of rain Friday that disrupted the tournament and turned the course into a water park. The players had to be ferried in carts across a small stream that swelled to a 75-yard wide torrent that bisected the course.

Gulbis thought she had done everything possible to get the long awaited win.

"I was thinking on the practice range that 5 or 6 under in the final round would do it," she said. "I shoot 6 under and I get in a playoff."

In the end, she said she was trying to dwell on the positives but conceded, "It's not good. It's very difficult."

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Good clips and your implied point is well taken, Jaxvid. No question that it is the non-white aspect of Wie that is the major reason why she gets more favorable press than Natalie, Paula, Morgan, etc.

There have been a few encouraging signs lately, though. Skip Bayless on ESPN's Cold Pizza said that it was time to dim the spotlight for Wie and focus on Gulbis (this was before Gulbis playoff loss). He said she's pretty, young, and talented and has more top 5 major finishes than Wie. (Woody Paige on the other hand is unfortunately a big Wie promoter).

I was listening to Jim Rome on the radio, and he said that Michelle should win "something--anything!" before she embarks on another attempt at a men's tournament.
Another guy said that all of these failed attempts of Wie to make the final rounds of the men's tournaments would eventually wear her confidence down, and suggested she give it up.

It was good that Michelle lost today (in the Evian Masters--though she played well)...otherwise the propaganda machines would definitely be operating at full capacity.