Josh McCown to play WR

In Detroit Free Press, says the Lions may use their third-string QB at WR.
Mike Martz called him a "freak of an athlete."Edited by: GreatLakeState

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I saw this kid play for the Cardinals and man can he run.I could see him switching over.He might even be faster than Drew Bennett.Good luck to him.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
wow! you can understand the reason why so many negrophiles call Martz "Mad." i mean, really, whoever heard of calling a white guy " freakishly athletic"?
smiley36.gif
smiley32.gif

Martz's white receiving corps: former QB McCown, former DB Furrey and
semi-retired fitness mag cover boy Kasper.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
This is great news! It will be cool to see what happens in this situation.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Kasper was cut the other day when the Lions re-signed veteran hands of stone receiver Corey Bradford.

D'oh!

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, that would be a great move, i am quite curious whether McCown is good enough to play WR in NFL... if he is, huge applause to Martz! hell, grats for trying!

white is right

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
well, that would be a great move, i am quite curious whether McCown is good enough to play WR in NFL... if he is, huge applause to Martz! hell, grats for trying!
Martz is willing to be creative to get good athletes on the field. Other coaches have done this in the past but they tended to do it with black players. The Jets one year kept 4 qb's and had one of them playing special teams only(Ray Lucas).Edited by: white is right

lumsdenpower

Mentor
ALLEN PARK - Josh McCown, the Lions' backup quarterback, was running pass routes in Thursday's practice.

Would offensive coordinator Mike Martz really use McCown at wide receiver?

"Sure," Martz said. "That possibility is always there. He's such a great athlete. He's a 4.5 guy, 6-foot-4, we work him out every week as a wide receiver just in case.

"We always carry him as an emergency receiver. I never had a quarterback who was that dynamic of an athlete. There's nothing he can't do athletically. He's a freak of an athlete."

Martz even predicted there'll be opportunities as the season progresses to use McCown at wideout.

"I think it would be a very select situation," Martz said, "and we'd be very, very specific about how we would use him."

And what does that mean for Mike Williams, last year's No. 1 draft pick? He's now behind all other receivers plus the backup QB on Martz's personal depth chart
Edited by: lumsdenpower

Freedom

Mentor
White is right wrote:
"The Jets one year kept 4 qb's and had one of them playing special teams only(Ray Lucas)."

smiley7.gif
smiley30.gif

Ray Lucas was the worse quarterback in NFL history. The job he did in Miami, what a JOKE!

""I think it would be a very select situation," Martz said, "and we'd be very, very specific about how we would use him." "

CasteSpeak-English Translation: We will make sure that he maintains a humble role and is constantly reminded about his inferiority, but we really could use his athleticism to win games desperately so we are forced to play a white guy.Edited by: Freedom

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Makes you wonder, here is a guy with great athleticism who throws well and he got no respect from crappy Arizona and can't crack the Lions line-up either.

If Vick could throw like this kid the hype would be bigger and deserved. But McCown is relegated to the bench probably for life.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Freedom said:
White is right wrote:
"The Jets one year kept 4 qb's and had one of them playing special teams only(Ray Lucas)."

smiley7.gif
smiley30.gif

Ray Lucas was the worse quarterback in NFL history. The job he did in Miami, what a JOKE!

""I think it would be a very select situation," Martz said, "and we'd be very, very specific about how we would use him." "

CasteSpeak-English Translation: We will make sure that he maintains a humble role and is constantly reminded about his inferiority, but we really could use his athleticism to win games desperately so we are forced to play a white guy.
I never said Lucas had any ability as a qb, he was just a good athlete. He was Vince Evans in the 2000 era.Edited by: white is right

JD074

Master
lumsdenpower said:
And what does that mean for Mike Williams, last year's No. 1 draft pick? He's now behind all other receivers plus the backup QB on Martz's personal depth chart

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

whiteCB

Master
If only every coach was like Mike Marz there would be alot more white skill position players getting the opportunity to play. I think Martz might actually be part color blind when it comes to evaluating talent.

jared

Mentor
Of course he is. Adam Archuleta, DB taken 1st round. Kevin Curtis, WR taken 3rd round. He's the only guy in the league who would have given Mike Furrey a chance.