Josh Hamilton

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone in sports deserves his own thread here, it's Josh Hamilton. The number one overall MLB draft pick in 1999 was out of baseball for several years because of a bad cocaine addiction combinedwith alcoholism. But now he's revived his career and is currently the NL leader in all three categories of the Triple Crown, batting .331 with 16 HR and an amazing 65 RBIs in 59 games. He has 17 more RBIs than the player with the second most and 22 more than the the player in third. The last player to win the Triple Crown in the National League was Joe Medwick 70 years ago.

Hamilton was the cover story for Sports Illustrated last week. He was a straight arrow all through high school, but began hanging out with a bad crowd after suffering his first significant baseball-related injury and being waylaid for several months. He goes straight home (and to his hotel room) after games to avoid any temptations. He won't even go to restaurants with his teammates so that he isn't tempted to have a drink. The Rangers have hired one of his close friends to basically monitor Josh 24/7, so he must really have some strong demons to combat on a continuing basis.

This is an all-time great comeback story so far and Hamilton deserves much credit for pulling himself out ofa sad situationand realizing his tremendous baseball gifts. He created his own mess but it takes a lot of character to do what he's done.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I was thinking about starting a thread for him myself after reading the cover story in SI last week. He's a true 5-tool player, a incredible athlete and he's turning his life around as well.
smiley32.gif

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Josh Hamilton is at .321 with 17 HRs and 68 RBIs only 61 games into the season. We could be looking at a monumental season from him with his RBI total.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Josh Hamilton hit a walk-off home run to defeat "K-Rod" and the Angels!!

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Just awesome. Josh is the real deal and I am going to enjoy watching him win the HR contest and do well in the All-Star game.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Looking forward to tonights HR contest. I think Josh will win it. But everybody in the HR Derby is white or in Sizemore's case half/white with the white in him being the dominant color.