Joaquin Phoenix interview on Letterman

PhillyBirds

Mentor
I saw this. Joaquin was almost unrecognizable with the beard, wearing all black with sunglasses. He was disturbingly subdued, giving one-word answers for most of Letterman's questions. The audience was laughing, which I thought was awkwardly inappropriate. I also think Letterman was concerned a bit. There was obviously something wrong.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He might have manic depression. His retirement announcement seemed just as spacey. CBS has already pulled the wacky interview.

The Hock

Master
The whole phony sit down and chat talk show routine has always made me uncomfortable as it is. I understand some guests have resorted to something called beta blockers to help them relax.

If you sit in that chair and piss Letterman off you're toast. As pathetic as Phoenix was, Letterman still had me rolling on the floor with his zingers. Maybe the funniest guy alive at just winging it.

Rivers needed a Mills Lane to jump in and wave it off. Edited by: The Hock

guest301

Hall of Famer
Letterman is a liberal ass-clown, maybe the biggest ass-clown this side of Keith Olbermann. I used to think he was funny in a really cool offbeat sort of way when I was younger but I am not laughing anymore. He's a self-important jerk who probably skims the front page of the NY Times and thinks he knows what's going on and how the world works. He still gets off a mildly funny zinger from time to time but he still is not worth watching.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I can't stand Letterman and haven't watched him in years. I hope that Joaquin gets help if he is messed up.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
This crap happens every couple of years, it's a ploy to pump up interest in the sagging rating's for these shows. Didn't Madonna or somebody have some kind of weird interview with Letterman, or maybe it was Cher, or maybe it was both of them. If you're watching Letterman at 12:00 at night you got other problems.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Letterman's very quick-witted but he's also mean spirited. He doesn't seem to like people. He's a cold personality, but the pay is reasonable.
smiley1.gif

The Hock

Master
True, Letterman is all the above, but I don't have to like someone's politics to find them funny. And I wouldn't worry too much about our actor. Little Mr. Brat Pack will get plenty of help if he wants it.

I'm just glad it was Letterman's show. Could you imagine what Oprah would have done with this?

PhillyBirds

Mentor
I'm a big-time insomniac, so I'm usually up for one of the late night talk shows. I like the background noise, but as soon as I saw Joaquin in that condition, I had to watch.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
It was either a front (ala Andy Kaufman's antics) or he was on some downers, etc.