Jesus statue struck by lightning, burns down

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Why would God do this or allow it to happen?

Jesus statue in Ohio struck by lightning

MONROE, Ohio â€" A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised along a highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The "King of Kings" statue, one of southwest Ohio's most familiar landmarks, had stood since 2004 at the evangelical Solid Rock Church along Interstate 75 in Monroe, just north of Cincinnati.

The lightning strike set the statue ablaze around 11:15 p.m., Monroe police dispatchers said.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The Lord must work in mysterious ways.....

Christianity is a religion of humility in many ways. How else do you express that without a six-story Jesus statue?

Menelik

Mentor
jaxvid said:
Why would God do this or allow it to happen?

Jesus statue in Ohio struck by lightning

MONROE, Ohio â€" A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised along a highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The "King of Kings" statue, one of southwest Ohio's most familiar landmarks, had stood since 2004 at the evangelical Solid Rock Church along Interstate 75 in Monroe, just north of Cincinnati.

The lightning strike set the statue ablaze around 11:15 p.m., Monroe police dispatchers said.

Are you really asking a question or just being sarcastic?

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Zeus hit it with a lightning bolt.

He felt there should have instead been a statue of HIS son, Hercules.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Hercules was definitely a real figure, a force of nature that only White genetics could create.

Not to mention, I've seen him on TV!

Paleocon

Guru
I don't know why Christians get caught up in this sort of speculation. It is almost idolatrous as it grants religious significance to an inanimate object. Do they expect God to respect and venerate a statue despite His command that we not do such things.

Exodus 20:4
"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of
anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or
that is in the water under the earth"

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
You damn'd commie heathens!!!
smiley2.gif

Paleocon, I agree with your assessment. As a fundementalist Christian, I think the giant, ornamental roadside crosses & Jesus statues fall in line with the mega-church/McChurch entertainment schtick. I despise the entertainment centers masquerading as churches & their motivational speakers titled "pastors". You'll find these type of "Disney" churches are filled with hardcore Zionist NeoCONs as well.

My church is a small, country Baptist church full of blue collar, salt of the earth folks. We read from/study the KJV, sing from the hymnal & don't follow false prophets like Rick Warren & hucksters like Joel "Oscheme", etc.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Reminds me of lightning striking and blackening the golden "Angel Moroni" statues atop a few Mormon temples.

I agree with Paleocon and Dixie. Such a statue is against Scripture and a mark of today's watered down evangelical churchianity.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
You'd have to ask the eternal Father, of course, as to why He permitted this...but offhand I'd say it was because the tacky "touchdown Jesus" statue was a mild affront to his Son.

That and the fact that it was made of fibreglass and other flammable, lightning-attractive materials...