Jake Locker

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It ticks me off that Jake is still considered the underdog to win Tennessee's starting QB job this season. Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton all started as rookies in recent years, and Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin and maybe Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden will this year (Tannehill will be starting by the end of the season at the latest), yet Locker may have to sit on the bench for a second straight season.

It's not like Matt Hasselbeck is a great quarterback at this stage of his career; he's injury prone and isn't nearly what he was a few seasons ago. Makes no sense to me, especially considering Locker was outstanding last year both in the preseason and when he got to play in the regular season. Newton and Griffin can start right off the bat, but Locker is supposedly "too raw" to do so. Yeah, right.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
...yet Locker may have to sit on the bench for a second straight season.

I hope the Titans' coaching staff is not stubborn about this. The GM sounds open to Jake leading the team.

Take a gander at the TD run by Jake at the closing of the video below. Creative.

[video=youtube;xVE1mMACcQA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVE1mMACcQA[/video]

Last edited:

TwentyTwo

Master
Thanks for starting this thread...Jake Locker deserves it! This situation is frustrating for sure...hopefully we will see him overtake Hasslebeck in Training Camp. Locker is one of my favorite QB's to come out of college in recent memory! He should be a difference-maker when all is said and done!

Refered to in College as the West-Coast version of Tim Tebow or Tebow-lite; a sleeker & faster version. I can remember a ex-LSU LB said in interview "we did not realize he was that fast"...WHAT...Do they not watch film?? Must be that sneaky speed!

That video showed some perfectly thrown passes w/ some serious velocity!

When Tirico mentions the new NFL TV-schedule for November featuring QB's like Vick, Newton, RGIII that bring a different element to the game...Jake Locker definitely deserves a seat at the table in that conversation!

Last edited:

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think Locker will have a longer leash than most White QBs given that his talent is widely recognized and how high he was selected in the draft. The biggest knock against Jake is a supposed lack of accuracy, so that'll be what is constantly scrutinized. And at least his opposition isn't some "huge upside" afflete but a veteran whose best days are behind him.

There's some good talent around Locker on offense, though I'd like to see Marc Mariani in the slot (he'll never be allowed to play outside) as a reliable outlet receiver. Hopefully the Titan's o-line is improved; with Mike Munchak, a former All Pro lineman as the coach, that should be an area of strength.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Locker has been cleared to play tomorrow. He may not, as the Titans have their bye next week, but he's recovered a lot quicker than was anticipated. Even the media has acknowledged that Jake was playing well before getting hurt, and he'll be able to play the second half of the season and continue his development. He has the talent set to be a star for a long time to come if he can stay healthy.

TwentyTwo

Master
Steve Young was one of my favorite QB's of all time...a Dual-threat QB with precision accuracy! I have been following Jake Locker since he played HS...& was hoping he could be the next Steve Young...this was his first Full season as a Starting QB in the NFL....He has turned the corner! It's not really fair to compare the two...Locker has never had the luxury of throwing to a Jerry Rice; but instead 1st Round bust Kenny Britt....get Locker some quality receivers and it's "Game On"!

Was surprised Locker came back so soon after the injury...playing the 49ers the week before a Bye...still he passed for 326 yards! For the season he has 8 TD's & just 1 INT! A lot of the media has taken notice giving him his props too....

Here is Locker's 39 yard run earlier in the year vs Chargers...check-out the extra gear!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tennessee-titans/0ap2000000250539/Coaches-film-Jake-Locker-39-yard-run

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

Freethinker

Hall of Famer

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Excellent read. I’m glad that he’s living the life that he wanted, putting faith and family first.
I was surprised at the complete lack of snark on behalf of the S.I. writer. Article was researched and put together fairly, something often lacking when a white athlete is involved, and especially a CHRISTIAN white athlete.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Agreed good article on Locker, read it yesterday it's definitely worth the read. Excellent find FBDAD. Its inspiring to see him put his Faith, Family, and Community above all.