Jack Snow critical with staph infection

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Just came across this item. Jack Snow was one of my favorite players when I was a kid. I did not know he was still active with the Rams. Also did not know that JT Snow was his son.

74_1.jpg

Rams broadcaster Jack Snow critical with staph infection

By JIM SALTER, Associated Press Writer
December 30, 2005

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Former Rams receiver and current broadcaster Jack Snow was in critical condition Friday with a staph infection.

The 62-year-old Snow was at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. Hospital spokesman Jason Merrill said he could not discuss details of the illness.

Rams spokesman Duane Lewis said Snow became ill in November. He was getting better, but was hospitalized last week.

Lewis said Snow's family was with him at the hospital. He believed Snow's son, San Francisco Giants first baseman J.T. Snow, was among them.

Jack Snow, a color analyst on the Rams' radio broadcasts even before the team moved here 10 years ago, was last in the booth Nov. 20 during a home loss to Arizona. He has missed the last five games. The Rams play their season finale Sunday night in Dallas.

Snow has been part of the Rams virtually since being drafted out of Notre Dame in 1965. He spent 11 years as a player with the team when it was in Los Angeles, retiring in 1975.

He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 1967 and still is among the team leaders in several receiving categories.

Staph bacteria are a common cause of skin infections. Healthy people might carry the bacteria on their skin and in their noses. Still, the germ can cause serious surgical wound infections, bloodstream infections and pneumonia.

Lewis did not know how Snow got the infection, most common among those who live in close proximity to others. That can include sports teams. In fact, the Rams had an outbreak of the infections in 2003.

Five members of the team developed drug-resistant infections after sustaining turf burns, and two or three members of the San Francisco 49ers developed infections after playing the Rams early that season. The outbreak was the subject of an article earlier this year in the New England Journal of Medicine. The players were not identified.

In August, then-linebackers coach Joe Vitt was hospitalized for three days with a staph infection in his left hand. Vitt has served as interim head coach since October, when Mike Martz stepped aside due to endocarditis, a bacterial infection of the lining of the heart.

Sorry to hear this news. I well remember Jack Snow catching long bombs from Roman Gabriel in the late 60's.

Spooge

Guru
Perhaps snow became an unwitting vector years ago while sharing the
locker room with well, some teamates (b....) that did not have the same
good hygien habits as himself. It's totally possible due to the
staph's ability to remain dormant for decades.