Interesting website..

SteveB

Mentor
I came across this site by accident, but I find this topic very interesting since I have lived it. I was a white defensive back in college back in the late 1980's. Like many white defensive backs, I was not recruited by any Div 1 schools in high school, but my dream was to play football at Texas A&M, so I walked on and made the team. I played three years at A&M and letter one year, mostly as a special teams player. I consistently ran the 40 under 4.5 sec and was considered the "fastest white guy on the team". It is amazing how people throw around 40 times. You hear about all of these 4.4 guys, but in reality they are probably 4.5-4.6 guys. There are probably only a handful of 4.4 guys on any Div 1 football team. On our team, there were only three guys that could beat me in a 40 yd dash.

Growing up in football crazy state like Texas, you can see the white racism on a regular basis. I too was brainwashed growing up thinking that only black guys were fast enough to run sprints in track and play defensive back. My mind was changed during my freshman year in high school when a family friend told me about him running the 100 yd dash for the Univ. of Texas back in the 1960's. He said that he used to run the 100 in 9.3 sec and that most of sprinters back then were white. He gave me the belief that if I worked hard, I could be a defensive back in college. Throughout my football days, I came across people that perpetuated these stereotypes.

I am 37 years old now and have debates with colleagues about the superiority of black athletes vs white athletes. Most believe the stereotypes that all black people run faster and jump higher. To make my point, I asked them to choose any black person that they personally know, and I will challenge them to a foot race. If they win, I will concede that blacks are superior athletes. Usually that shuts them up because they know, at 37, that I can still run pretty damn fast.

surfsider

Guru
Welcome aboard SteveB. Your story is illustrative of what goes on and how people think. Though on a much lower level, I remember the first day of junior high football(Southern Oklahoma), the coaches divided us into the various groups(rb's, cb's etc...)and would tell any white kid that tried to make their way to a skill position group that they were to slow. They hadn't seen any of us play. At the end of the day we had been segregated. We managed one win that year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Welcome to Caste Football Steve B. It is good to have first hand accounts on some of the topics we have been discussing here. Surfsider is right, I remember when that happened on my team in junior high. It is strange that on teams who are just starting up, they will give anyone a chance at any position they are even remotely physically a match for, but on established teams, they like to seperate people before seeing them run or anything.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Thanks for posting SteveB very insightful, we need more members who are willing to share their stories.

jcolec02

Mentor
whatever happened to steve b?? or Groundfighter for that matter

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
SteveB is still here jcolec02, he's on the board almost every day. Groundfighter hasn't been on in a few months.