Immigration in upcoming British General election

referendum

Mentor
The United Kingdom votes in a general election next month and the Conservatives are leading in the polls. On the whole they are hardly promising to be any different than the other big parties, Labour and the Liberal Democrats, as far as I can tell. However, they are clearly campaigning on a reduce non-EU immigration platform, calling for a reduction "from the hundreds of thousands per year, to tens of thousands". I believe they are calling for a quota of 50,000 non-EU immigrants per year. This is hardly revolutionary, but clearly better than Labour and the Lib Dems, who oppose any quota concept.

j41181

Master
Looks like the BNP's message got thru, though only in the slightest form. 50,000 non-EU's is quite acceptable. Better than "the hundreds of thousands per year, to tens of thousands" which will completely change the UK's social demographics within approximately 100 years.

referendum

Mentor
J4, I agree, assuming the Tories are serious about this, I'd vote for them purely on this issue. OTOH, in terms of their support for various neo-con inspired US invasions, on that issue I believe the BNP, UKIP and even the Lib Dems are a better choice than the Tories, but I'd put immigration as issue number one, over foreign policy, so would vote Tory.

referendum

Mentor
Update from Britain. Since the election, the Tories and Lib Dems have come to a coalition agreement. Apparently the plans for a non-EU immigration cap are to go forward. The question is how big will it be, and will it get through a parliament that has a non-Tory majority.