Hunter Pence

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Astros continue to do a great job of signing and developing white talent. Center fielder Hunter Pence, who turned 24 in April,has had a spectacular rookie season so far. He's currently hitting .351 (68 hits in 194 at bats). He has 17 doubles, 7 HRs, 33 RBIs and 5 stolen bases. He's now just short of having enough at bats to qualify for the NL batting race, and when he does he'll be second in the league in hitting, second only to the unpublicized Matt Holliday of Colorado, who is having another great season so far as his .364 average attests.

Freedom

Mentor
I'm always surprised to see black or hispanic areas have baseball teams consist of non hispanic whites. Oakland has had it and so does Houston. Makes you wonder if they can sustain ratings unless they develop a national following.

LabMan

Mentor
Hunter Pence,this wonderful young slugger is not a switch hitter,but most aspects of his game bring to my mind Mickey Mantle.This kid runs like a dear,and beats out many infield hits that are sure outs for most players.You can see the love of the game in his eyes,and the zest that he brings to the team.It's good to see that the veteran Astro players are appreciative of him.

Also,over in Oakland,the Athletics are a breath of fresh air,and in the middle of that line up is Jack Cust,a big left handed power hitter.This game can still be fun to watch!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
He is playing well. I'm hoping he keeps it up, and gets even stronger as the season progresses.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
He is playing VERY well now, and he has a 22-game hitting streak!