Hugh McElhenny Article

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
McElhenny was one of the NFL Network's Top Ten running backs, part of a continuing series of Ten Best and Ten Worst shows. I've always liked watching the old black and white film of him running. He was so elusive it was amazing. He was comparable to Gayle Sayers and Barry Sanders in that department. But during the segment on him of course they had to quote someone as saying, "He wasn't the fastest guy on the field blah blah blah. . . " even though the "field" was overwhelmingly white and nobody seemed to be able to catch him.

BTW, that's Hugh on my current avatar.
smiley2.gif

Not just this one, but nearly every article on Hugh McElhenny I have ever seen has the line, "He was the only man ever to take a pay cut to turn pro." This piece does goes into more detail.

All of the major Pacific Coast Conference teams were operating slush funds for players in the 1950's. It became a big story in 1956 with Washington, California, USC, and UCLA the main culprits. That year several players, the most prominent USC's Jon Arnett, were only allowed to play half the season.

Usually, the head coach would stay out of the payoffs for "plausible deniability." UCLA coach, Red Sanders, made and directed the payoffs personally. Sanders was the most criticized, and UCLA received the heaviest penalties.

When McElhenny left the NFL after the 1964 season, he had no money to show for 13 years in the league. Several business ventures failed. As the article shows, he managed to do well enough in his post-football life despite this. Hugh McElhenny will be 80 years old in December.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
McElhenny was one of the NFL Network's Top Ten running backs, part of a continuing series of Ten Best and Ten Worst shows. I've always liked watching the old black and white film of him running. He was so elusive it was amazing. He was comparable to Gayle Sayers and Barry Sanders in that department. But during the segment on him of course they had to quote someone as saying, "He wasn't the fastest guy on the field blah blah blah. . . " even though the "field" was overwhelmingly white and nobody seemed to be able to catch him.

BTW, that's Hugh on my current avatar.
smiley2.gif
Who were his teammates? I'm thinking Bobby Morrow, Thane Baker and Ira Murchison were his back field mates.....
smiley36.gif
The King was a sprinter in college and back when he played recruiting of speedy players for football was more of a rarity. Edited by: white is right

white is right

Hall of Famer
When McElhenny left the NFL after the 1964 season, he had no money to show for 13 years in the league. You sure he isn't black?
smiley2.gif