How many Whites get picked in 2nd Round?

Drafting of Whites in 2nd Round

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Other

• Total voters

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I'm mainly interested in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Rounds.

Also, how many Whites go in the 2nd Round vs. the 3rd Round.

jared

Mentor
I think itsme got it right. Might even be one more if another OL like Pollack gets picked up.

Stonewall

Guru
I really believe Jordy Nelson will be selected today. I've heard the Redskins brought in QB Jason Campbell to throw to Nelson, Sweed, and Kelly in recent weeks. From what I understand, they aren't thrilled with Kelly. Sweed will probably be selected earlier, so Jordy going to Washington in Round 2 (51st overall) is a distinct possibility.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I think itsme might be right, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Tommy Zbikowski might jump up to the very end of round two. At least I'm hoping! For the good luck I'm sayin 8!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
After the first three picks of the first round, only 2 of the next 32 players were white.

Stonewall

Guru
I went with 8 for the second round, the number of QBs selected will be a key factor in pushing up the number.

backrow

Hall of Famer
so far we got 3, maybe another 3 if Connor and both Henne and Brohn get picked. Zbikowski could be a wild card.Edited by: backrow

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Just 17.7% whites selected over the first two rounds.
smiley21.gif

Poacher

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
Just 17.7% whites selected over the first two rounds.
smiley21.gif

My crack research staff informs me that last year we were at 20% after the first two rounds.

If you count the fact that the first three overall picks were our guys as a kind of propaganda victory then you could make the argument that we are about even with last year. Big whoop.

If you don't consider Gonzalez and Ikaika Alama-Francis sangre puro (so to speak) then last year's percentage drops to 17. Edited by: Poacher

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I always assumed that since the NFL is roughly 1/3 white, whites should comprise around 1/3 of the players in any given draft.

The low numbers of whites taken highly in the draft indicate either that there just aren't many talented white players, or teams don't want to take chances on white players, or maybe the league isn't satisfied with the status quo and wants to further reduce whites to near invisibility in the league.

Maybe someday NFL style football will explode worldwide and then we'll see some hulking German runningbacks who had hitherto been playing midfield on a soccer field, and maybe we'll see some starving Ivans tearing QB's heads off at linebacker.

Until that happens we're stuck listening to Terry Bradshaw make fun of the few white players on the field and talking about how Vince Young is Der Grosse Quarterback of our era.

I've always thought that when other countries are as dedicated to a sport as the U.S. and are willing and able to invest the kind of money we do into it, they prove themselves capable of competing.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Very few kickers, punters and long snappers are drafted, which is a major reason why the percentage of whites in the draft is lower than that of the league as a whole. Another reason -- contrary to the lie propagated by the media, most busts are black. Whites can be drafted lower, dotheir racially mandated "apprenticeship" due to all of them being overachievers with tight hips andgreat motors, and eventually become starters. But most of course get totally screwed without ever getting the chance to start.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Makes sense. Still, when I see or hear people discuss "NFL Bust" I invariably hear about Ryan Leaf and not Ricky Williams, and when I hear about "NBA Bust" I always hear about Christian Laetner but not Ed O'Bannon. It's just easier to punk on the white guys and not get flak for it, I guess.

"Larry Bird was great, BUT..."

With black players, there is no qualifying "but".

The overwhelming reason mentioned for any white failure in sports is the simple fact that the player is white, a "stigma" that is self-explanatory, where as non-whites who fail in sports have a plethora of excuses from which to explain their failure to live up to the hype, i.e., Ricky Williams was such a fun-loving guy he couldn't give up the bong, and we should cut him some slack for it.

If you're white, you're slow, overtrained, over-serious, unrhythmic, uncoordinated, prone to injury, racist...

Why say all that, when "white" says it all?

I'm glad Wladimir Klitschko proved to be the real deal, or else we'd have to deal with more such abuse.