Holyfield vs. Botha

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Looks like Evander "The Philanderer" YOlyfield is fighting the "White Buffalo" Francois Botha on January 16th. As a kickboxer, Botha had a couple impressive victories against Jerome Le Banner and Peter Aerts. Here's to hoping Botha can "avenge" some losses against affletes Tyson & Lewis by KO'ing YOlyfield.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Decent fight. Francois has looked pretty good since his comeback in 07'. In May, he beat 6'7" Timo Hoffman by split decision in Timo's backyard despite being a 4-1 underdog. A majority draw with former Cuban Amateur standout Pedro Carrion (who nearly beat Povetkin in the amateurs) in his last outing isn't a bad result considering Botha injured his right hand early in the fight. Carrion like Hoffman was much bigger than Botha at 6'7 1/2.

I'm rooting for the African
smiley2.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Botha was a pretty good fighter back in the day and was heavyweight champion at one time. He is also quite a bit younger than Holyfield so I think he can pull out a win.

I never liked botha! He said he was the best white fighter in the world.. even after he got ko'd my a bunch of blacks.. And even after he got destroyed my waldimir... He was an "OK" fighter. But not great...

Westside

Hall of Famer
This fight is a side show, with no real meaning or implications. Translation: I may catch it on YouTube when I am bored out of my brain.

Its a pick'em fights amoungst old timers.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Botha has only 4 losses in his career and all of them were to top heavyweights in Wlad Klitschko, Tyson, Lewis, and Michael Moorer. I think he needs to hang it up soon though. Not many people want to watch a 47 and a 41 year old heavyweight fight.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Guys, from the looks of things this fight is dead in the water. They still don't have sponsors and the fight is two weeks away. This fight is a pipe dream similar to Foreman vs Holmes in the late 90's. I will be shocked if this fight happens. Edited by: white is right

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
From fightnews.com:

"Looks like the clash between 47-year-old former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield and 41-year-old Francois Botha for the WBF title in Uganda will be pushed back to February 20th."

j41181

Master
My God! This is as low as boxing can get, stage a heavyweight fight involving two 40 year olds (47 & 41) in a very unlikely boxing venue (Uganda). Even though it be nice to see Botha win, I honestly don't care regardless. Holyfield must be so desperate for cash. That's what happens when you give too much money away to a brainless afflete like him, only to spend it away on gambling, drugs, parties, and women!

He needs the cash to support his children, quite sad really. It seems to me that Botha might be in the same predicament.

white is right

Hall of Famer
The money problems of Holyfield are well documented. Botha did have a winery in California and was marketing another product. He might be tapped if his winery failed. The costs of operating a winery are extensive and with a recent near depression many wineries have failed. I just don't understand paper millionaires that want to be multi-millionaires and multi-millionaires that want to be billionaires. Especially when they made there money in a completely different field of endeavour. Edited by: white is right

Westside

Hall of Famer
WIS the one who takes the cake on squandering millions has to be Mike "I am a dumbass" Tyson. This guy made at least 70 millions dollars during his career, even with Don King robbing him of at least 15 million. Mike Tyson now is reduced to making cameos in albeit hit movies like "Hangover" or showing up at variety shows like Conan "white snow" O'brien as a semi afterthought. How pathetic.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I hope both guys run straight to the bank and receive cashiers cheques after the fight. This fight looks like something Harold Smith concocted...
smiley11.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
The latest news I have heard about this fight is that Holyfield still wants the bout and the fight is trying to find a site in the USA. Supposedly Holyfield has a bout lined up against White Puerto Rican Derrick Rossy.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
"Oldyfield" better just retire at this point. All it's gonna take is one fight with a legit white heavyweight(Klitschko, Povetkin, Dimitrenko, or Platov) and he'll have permanent brain damage and never get into ther ring again. Is that negro that desperate for a couple of bucks?
'

Westside

Hall of Famer
WA 33 of course he is. He has a dozen or babies/kids to feed plus a dozen of so baby's momas to support. He has a lot on his plate, show a little understanding.
smiley36.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Westside said:
WA 33 of course he is. He has a dozen or babies/kids to feed plus a dozen of so baby's momas to support. He has a lot on his plate, show a little understanding.
smiley36.gif

I am willing to be at least one of those kids is with a white woman. Even "Oldyfield" had to get a white trophy wife or girlfriend at some point in his career.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer