Hilarious Caste Article

eaxs

This article is about a new University of Oklahoma (surprise!) recruit who went to the movies, only to have some "bad luck" and end up breaking into a car and being jailed for it. I swear, no one can make stuff like this up.

Edit: Fixed

[url]http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/colleges/big _12_conference/16648182.htm?source=rss&channel=kansascit y_big_12_conference[/url]

<H1>A big day, a new start</H1>
<H2>After legal trouble and a suspension, Blue Springs' Donald Stephenson is glad Oklahoma stuck by him.</H2>
<H5>By CANDACE BUCKNER</H5>
<H6>The Kansas City Star</H6>

Donald Stephenson wakes early in the cold morning, takes a shower and grabs his new Oklahoma hat with tags still attached. He's ready for his big moment.

It's national signing day, when high school boys and girls celebrate their athletic achievements, and the Sooners need Stephenson's letter of intent faxed in immediately.

Stephenson and his mother, Ethel, walk silently to his car. A radio station in Oklahoma calls his cell phone for an interview. He doesn't wear a white dress shirt, necktie or slacks. Stephenson's clothed in a Scarface hoodie and jeans. There's no special ceremony set up at Blue Springs High School. And Stephenson can't walk inside there anyway, so he's heading to Office Depot.

On Wednesday, national signing day, Stephenson, the Central transfer whose injury-depleted senior season at Blue Springs helped him earn a Division I scholarship, was serving a 10-day suspension. A few weeks back, Stephenson went to a school dance, and, as he describes, ran into some "bad luck." As for Stephenson's actions that night, Blue Springs athletic director Tim Crone says it led to a "discipline situation that we're handling at school."

So when television stations called Blue Springs to stage a signing-day shoot with its biggest recruit, Wildcats coach Kelly Donohoe asked them to come another day.

But that's not the end of Stephenson's troubles.

The day after Christmas, Stephenson went to a movie with two friends. The show was sold out, and, instead of sitting inside a darkened theater, Stephenson spent that night in a Leawood jail cell. Stephenson was arrested and charged with multiple counts of burglary of a motor vehicle, theft and criminal damage.

"I just had bad luck, that's about it," Stephenson says. "I'd rather not talk about that. I've never went through anything like this, and it's all just piling on me my senior year."

It's overwhelming for Ethel Stephenson, the devout mother. Not so much the off-the-field troubles, but her son's last great act of his senior season â€â€￾ his signing ceremony.

"I trained Donald up through the word of God," she says. "The only way you can train them up is through the word of God, and I guarantee there will be success and greatness. I've known from the time in the delivery room to the time now. I've always told him there is greatness in him."

Ethel leans on the Office Depot counter, ignoring the coffee she just brewed. She watches her son pen his signature on every sheet. She thinks about all of his tomorrows.

"I'll be glad when all this is over," Ethel says, "and we get back to normal."

Donald longs for those normal, quiet days again, too. Right now, Stephenson's the big-time college offensive lineman. An Office Depot employee named Jeanne lights up when told she's faxing copies for Oklahoma's latest recruit. She doesn't question why Stephenson's at her counter at 8:58 a.m. instead of at school.

"Voila! Five pages sent," Jeanne exclaims, then shows Stephenson the confirmation page. "And the fax is on me. You don't have to pay for it."

Stephenson flashes his dimpled smile.

"That's the least I can do," Jeanne gushes. "We've got a celebrity here!"

Stephenson appreciates the gesture, but more than anything else he wants his reputation back. He knows people are talking.

"That's what I'm really afraid of. I can sit here and say as long as the coaches know that I'm a good kid it doesn't matter, but you never know," Stephenson says. "I'm not saying that it would, but if something bad happens again, everybody would say: 'Oh, there goes Donald again. He's that type of kid coming from the inner city.' Stuff like that, and I tried too hard not to be that type of person and I don't want people to think that."

Stephenson and his friends are facing eight counts of criminal activity. There was one smashed Mitsubishi Gallant window and a black iPod taken. A purse, wristwatch and disposable camera were taken from another car. Baseball equipment and a carton of caramel bars were stolen from a black 1996 Saturn.

"I don't like to call it mistakes. I like to call it sin," Ethel said. "I thank God that he is going through this discipline season. I know he won't go astray any more."

Teachers at Central, Stephenson's former school, were shocked. Although Central administration declined to comment about Stephenson, teacher Frankie Kopp remembers her former Desktop Publishing sophomore student as a confident, goal-driven young man.

"I have to admit, when I first heard about the incident, I was shocked. He could be a typical teenager. He could be stubborn, bullheaded and obnoxious at times, but he also was capable, and he never faltered or lost sight of what he wanted to do," Kopp said. "He got caught up in a moment, I'd say. ... I just thought he was smarter than that."

Stephenson's attorney Jack Luther refused to discuss details of the case, other than that Stephenson has submitted a diversion application and his next court date is March 16. If convicted, Stephenson could face up to five to 17 months in county jail on each of four felony counts and up to one year for the misdemeanors. The sentence is dependent on prior criminal record, and Stephenson has no prior arrests, he said.

Oklahoma has stood by all along. When Stephenson visited Norman in January, coaches didn't talk about arrests and pending court dates, Stephenson said. They wanted to test his agility and pass stance. Stephenson was a tad rusty. He missed six games with a broken left big toe, but as little as he did play, Stephenson impressed a host of Division I programs.

"(His) potential and dominance were phenomenal," Donohoe says. "So I understand why he was recruited."

Stephenson's just happy Oklahoma stuck by him. After hearing news of his arrest, Michigan passed. Oklahoma's vote of confidence is important to Stephenson. Donohoe has stayed loyal, something Stephenson is grateful for, but he is slightly disappointed he didn't get to sign his scholarship in front of his coach.

With things finished at Office Depot, Stephenson leaves and takes a shortcut on Northwest Ashton Drive, next to Blue Springs High School. He glances twice at the passing building and, while driving 38 miles per hour in a school zone, fails to notice the police officer clocking speeders from the parking lot. Stephenson sighs as the officer asks for his driver's license and insurance card, because he has neither. After signing a full-ride scholarship, he now signs a ticket citation. The court date is March 17.

"That's just my luck," Stephenson mumbles.
<DIV =-end>
<DIV =tagline>
<HR =tagline color=#cccccc SIZE=1>
To reach Candace Buckner, high school columnist for The Star, call (816) 234-4389 or send e-mail to cbuckner@kcstar.com

Edited by: eaxs

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Typical. Where's that kind of loyalty to white players? For the most part, schools never have to worry about whites being like this guy. The old double standard rears its ugly head again.
smiley7.gif

LabMan

Mentor
This guy and his friends will be rewarded for their criminal behavior! It would be interesting to see a rap sheet on all of them for prior arrests!

Also,please see lead story at www.anu.org. from tuesday Feb. 13 on Knoxville Tenn. atrocities.

Roundabout

That article was truly an indicator of whata rottensociety we live in, yet sadly, it was indeedas Colonel Reb stated, typical. All sympathy for this punk, no criticism or taking him to task for his criminal behavior.Disgusting. Some "journalist."The funniest part was his explanation for his crimes: "Bad luck." I wonder if that would hold up in court. I have a bad feeling that for a star black affalete, it just might. And of course, all of his teachers were shocked. "He was such a good kid....." Again, typical. Then there's themother, talking about how she brought him up with God, and she sensed greatness in him the day he was born. And she doesnt callhis crimesmistakes, but sins. There is the usual black arrogance, inability to face up to the the truth and that whole righteous Negro God referencing. This article makes me think of not just the media double standard, but the vast difference between blacks and whites in terms of values, and concepts like personalresponsibility.

cutty

Guru
This is just par for society isn't it? When there is money to be made off a black athlete thru high school and college, it's amazing what they'll be allowed to get away with.

btw, I'm sure by "bad luck" he meant it was just bad luck that he got caught. Up until then, he apparently had been having a tremendous lucky streak of getting away with all sorts of crimes.

Hockaday

Guru
The ending was perfect. Such bad luck. Down the road, when he is being processed into a prison somewhere, it'll be "Man, just my luck. Again. Damn."Edited by: Hockaday

Tom Iron

Mentor
Excellent points gentlemen.

However, As I'm an older man, I'd just like to add that no matter what bad things we do, we never get away with it. At some point down the line, there's a reckoning. I'm not trying to get religious, just calling it as I've
seen it so many times before. We make our own beds and we've got to sleep in those beds. Nobody else can take our place by making excuses for us and there is definitely no standins for us when it comes to paying our "bill".

It's only an illusion that this guy is "getting away" with it.

Tom Iron...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree Tom Iron, what comes around goes around. He'll get his due one day. One way or the other, he'll pay.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
I agree Tom Iron, what comes around goes around. He'll get his due one day. One way or the other, he'll pay.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nevermind me Bart.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Col. Reb, I have seen far too many good people in this world who have suffered every type of calamity imaginable.Yet, we have all seen many worthless, rotten, no goodSOB's living to be 95and enjoying all the good things of life. What goes around DOES NOT always come around, at least not in this life time.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bart, I know what you mean, and have seen more than I care ofthat too.I never made a qualification.

jcolec02

Mentor
next lifetime you better belive they will pay...HELL will be full of blacks...

If I caught this piece of human garbage breaking into my car he'd find out what "bad luck" really is.

He's injury prone and a criminal...that's who I'd want to sign.
smiley11.gif

What a fine University Oklahoma must be...
smiley11.gif

In a sane world the alumni would be up in arms demanding that criminals like this were not allowed within 100 yards of their campus.