Heavyweight Division and Race

JohnHarper

Someone made a post listing all the belt holders in the 170 and above divisions showing that most were white.

I’ve noticed that a common answer to this is that it’s because they (minorities, specifically blacks) are all pursuing the NBA and NFL.

I was reading a social media post where someone expressed thankfulness for Deontay Wilder representing the US when we haven’t had many representatives in the last decade. Someone responded:

“Shoulda played basketball like errybody else. I'm always surprised when a big USA man goes into boxing. Too many alternatives. I doubt if we will ever have a US heavyweight champion again. The smaller guys rule.”

Thoughts?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Someone made a post listing all the belt holders in the 170 and above divisions showing that most were white.

I’ve noticed that a common answer to this is that it’s because they (minorities, specifically blacks) are all pursuing the NBA and NFL.

I was reading a social media post where someone expressed thankfulness for Deontay Wilder representing the US when we haven’t had many representatives in the last decade. Someone responded:

“Shoulda played basketball like errybody else. I'm always surprised when a big USA man goes into boxing. Too many alternatives. I doubt if we will ever have a US heavyweight champion again. The smaller guys rule.”

Thoughts?
We have gone over this ground before and it's really 160+ and the non White champions are near void less Bivol (who is Eurasian) and the unified 160 pound champion Janibek Alimkhanuly who is another Eurasian.

This talk of Wilder being an NBA prospect is just that I watched him play basketball near his physical prime and he is not nearly explosive enough to make an NBA roster with his leaping ability. He is also a failed JUCO basketball prospect from what I read who dropped out of school to pay for the medical bills for his disabled daughter and moonlighted as an amateur boxer and hit the lottery ticket by winning a title against probably among the handful of poorest champions in the modern history of the heavyweight division.

As for "Hispanics" I'm assuming you mean Mestizos as very few White HIspanics box. Here most would be too small for the NBA and the NFL. Cris Arreola was similar to Wilder and played JUCO basketball and similar to Wilder he wasn't nearly explosive enough to make an NBA roster and is significantly shorter than Wilder is.

With all of the failed NFL players who attempted to box and most failed in the prospect stages of a boxing career this talk is wishful thinking. People need to remember that boxing is unique skill set and poorer athletes in a raw athletic sense have been better fighters than mainstream athletes ie Rocky Marciano who failed in tryouts for baseball and football teams post high school and Wilder who was a decent paper champion.

Truthman

Guru
It's all a load of ******** excuses. I can't be bothered going all into again. But this has been laughed and a debunked so many times!

USA have more heavyweights by far than any other country, and the vast majority of them are black. For example, Usyk is the king of the heavyweights but Ukraine have just 27 current pro heavyweights, whereas the USA have 335.

Being a fighter and being a basketballer are two totally different things, requiring totally different attributes. & All countries have sports more popular than Boxing.

They are just simply not good enough.

Last edited: