He got the richest rookie deal

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Who was it posted that a good game by McCown would get Jamarcus to the contract table?

With the NFL's slotted rookie salary system, he won't be the highest paid for long.

The real question should be what marginal Black QB will shoot up the draft lists next year to contend for the #1 overall position?

The guy from Kentucky? The guy from Appalachian State? (I say that kind of sarcastically, but you never know) The guy from Oregon?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Either way they gave him that deal. It's amazing. Soon he will be making more than Peyton for just decent performances.

G

The 2008 number 1 pick will probably get more than him. That's the general trend. More money every year until eventually somebody is getting a billion dollar contract in 2030 or so.

He's getting more than the best player in the entire NFL was getting in 1987. That's the normal trajectory of salaries in football, baseball, and basketball. I don't get upset by their ridiculous pay anymore.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Yes, but is Quinn not deserving of more money? I know he was way down there in the first round.Caste system at work.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
whiteathlete33 said:
Yes, but is Quinn not deserving of more money? I know he was way down there in the first round.Caste system at work.

No, it's based on where a player is picked. The Raiders were going to have to pay the number one overall pick the most money, it was just a matter of quibbling over the details, plus Russell apparently wasn't real interested in reporting early given that he wasn't going to play much anyway this season. Theway draft picks are paidis race neutral, the problem is the Caste System that shuts so many good whites outof the elite I-A college programs and then undervalues them again when projecting them for the NFL.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I just don't see how he was a number one pick. Usually the number one overall pick is a near lock to be a superstar. He has project written all over him. The history of holdout rookie qb's isn't good. Usually they are behind the 8 ball before the season begins and never catch up...

Bear Backer

Mentor
reclaimsocal said:
With the NFL's slotted rookie salary system, he won't be the highest paid for long.

The real question should be what marginal Black QB will shoot up the draft lists next year to contend for the #1 overall position?

The guy from Kentucky? The guy from Appalachian State? (I say that kind of sarcastically, but you never know) The guy from Oregon?

Andre Woodson from Kentucky is definitely a guy that some dumb caste system team is going to be giddy over, even though he has fallen somewhat in favor among many who rate the draft class of 08. Still though with the environment in the NFL, someone will get gaga for him because he is one "black", two and such a "fine athletic specimen" at 6-5 232, and I am sure that will be repeated ad nauseum come draft time. Sometimes such talk really makes me wonder which way some of these caste system proponents swing. (if you know what I mean) Pat White from W.Virginia is another one who may woo some NFL scouts if he decides to come out a year early even though he doesn't really possess an ideal arm for the NFL and is one of those run first guys. Still some teams might get awe struck by him if West Virgina were to happen to have a very good season and have a good bowl performance. No one was really high on Jamarkus Russell until the end of last season and still he managed to be taken unbelievable as the top pick, when he should have been a late first day kind of a guy or maybe even a second day prospect. With his speed, someone might be tempted into hoping him the next Michael Vick type player. Even if he doesn't get picked as a QB, he will be one of those douches that gets picked fairly early, probably as a WR while better recievers are on the board.

Of course everyone in the NFL is really salivating waiting for that kid from K State Josh Freeman to come out in a couple of years. The NFL will be as gaga over him as they were Vince Young and Michael Vick before him so long as he doesn't play so absolutely horrid that there is no choice but to bench him. If Vince Young falters, this kid will be annoited as the next "black superman" type of QB, even though he has yet to do a damn thing in his college career and has played like crap as a starter. It is unbelievable how bad this kid has been and how nothing but praise ever comes his way. I am convinced that even an average college career will still get this kid top billing from the NFL, they are getting real desperate for their black savior to come along after so many failures. The excuses will fly: He played for a bad team, etc etc, he can develope into a NFL star because of his great physical talent and just needs mentoring. He is a a raw talent with tremendous upside, His athleticism is too good to ignore etc etc.Edited by: Bear Backer

yanling

Guru
I remember a few years ago I saw all these Akili Smith jerseys at a store. Whatever happened to that guy? He had such hype.

akili smith was a total bust. after several horrible seasons with the bengals, he was released from the team. for a season or two(?) he served as a backup in the league. last i heard, he tried making the packers as the 3rd string qb in 2003 (?). he didnt make the cut and i havent heard of him since. i think hes out of football now. (sorry for any inaccuracies, as you can see by my grammar and punctutation, i'm too lazy to search :))

Kaptain

Master
jaxvid said:
Who was it posted that a good game by McCown would get Jamarcus to the contract table?

That was me, Jaxvid. Score one for the poopster!

McCown has a broken finger on his throwing hand now anyway. Lets see how Duante and Jamarcus do in comparison. I predict a lot of turnovers. Edited by: Kaptain Poop