Gorillas fighting

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Interesting. They're fighting clean too - no kicking or biting or eye gouging or anything - Marquis of Queensbury rules. Put a pair of boxing trunks on them and put them in some boxing clubs in some neighborhoods and no one would notice anything unusual except they are some big strong mothers who no one's anxious to get in to the ring with.

Gorillas fighting

[-]

This relates to an earlier thread where we discussed types of hand-strike, but I thought these photos were really cool and deserved their own thread. I've included my fairly optimistic interpretation.
gorillas-fighting_1769534i.jpg

The right ape uses it's left hand for distance-feeling and/or balance whilst it tries to get a straight blow in at the jaw from a southpaw stance, raising the elbow to try and protect the head. The left ape uses a three-legged stance, giving it a solid base to take the blow and to drive off of with a countering lead hook or shovel-hook.

gorilla-fight-pic-swns-image-2-415326972.jpg

The right ape goes for either a raking jab or a spinning hammer-blow to the head. The body is in very slight over-rotation, supporting the latter idea. The right hand is low, but off the ground, gaurding the body until the next blow is thrown. The left ape has attempted to block the blow using his right hand. The positioning suggests his reactions were not quick enough to block with his left hand, which would have been more affective. Possibly the right hand was already in swing before he realised he was in danger. It looks as if this will give the right ape an advantage over the left: The next blow from either party will be a rear blow, the right apes arm is a little higher than the left's and the left ape is possibly stunned.

gorilla-fight-.jpg

The enslaught continues: the right ape takes quite a square stance as if the right foot has just stept forward slightly. The left hand keeps his enemy's arms down low whilst he swings a glorious inner-forearm shot to the side of the neck. The left ape is torn between moving out the way and keeping blance, and manages neither (unless he is really good at horse stance). The first blow was absorbed stoically but he has perhaps lost hope. I don't actually know what order these photos are taken in, but it's difficult to see him coming back from this one.
700-900lbs of action and we have learnt that it pays to step in and take initiative when fighting, that without rules stand-up fighting varies only by degree and not by kind and that gorillas can and do hit each other however they please.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
The comments under the pictures aren't mine, only the comment on top is mine. I swiped it from another forum. It looks like a good heavyweight fight actually.

Reminds me of the time at the Bronx Zoo when the gorillas used to be in a big open pit with people surrounding them (I think they looked happier there than in the new modern facility - as if you could call being locked up in a zoo in the Bronx for the rest of your life being happy). I was listening to the blacks yelling stuff like, "That one look just like yo uncle Leroy", and "That one there look just exactly like yo mama!"

Last edited:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Boxing is such a corrupt sport at all levels.

Ha ha!

Joe Cortez was the referee in this one, but when he started to do his thing on one of them, the gorilla just looked at him, and then he just picked him up and whirled him around and threw him into the twelfth row where he landed on his head, and about twenty IOU's signed with Don King's X fell out of his pocket.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Actually my guess is those gorillas are mostly mock fighting to establish hierarchy rather than seriously trying to injure one another. Gorillas are big on posturing, false charges, and the like. Unlike humans, gorillas are nice people. That's why they are almost extinct. It's unfortunate, but on this planet nice guys finish last.

Actually my guess is those gorillas are mostly mock fighting to establish hierarchy rather than seriously trying to injure one another. Gorillas are big on posturing, false charges, and the like. Unlike humans, gorillas are nice people. That's why they are almost extinct. It's unfortunate, but on this planet nice guys finish last.

I appreciate this thread, I didn't realize gorillas were mostly non-violent bluff..
I also have to admit further ignorance.. 'cuz when I saw the title 'Gorillas Fighting', I figured it was gonna be a WNBA thread. :drum: