Giant Negroes??

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
LOL! Some of those article headlines are absolutely hilarious. "Giant Negro disarms four police officers." It's like blacks were some kind of super humans back in the day. It looks as the New York Times loved the used the phrase "giant negro."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nice find, whiteathlete33. What is even more revealing on that page is this:

The third reason I'm concentrating on the New York Times is because of
an irony. Adolph Ochs also happened to have a leadership role in the
Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith. According to the ADL's website:

"Early
on, ADL took significant steps to eradicate the negative images of Jews
in print.... The League was still in its infancy when Adolph S. Ochs,
publisher of The New York Times and an ADL executive committee member,
wrote a memo to newspaper editors nationwide discouraging the use of
‘objectionable and vulgar' references to Jews in the media. ... By 1920,
the practice had virtually stopped."Â￾

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I laughed out loud reading those headlines.

When the 1984 Summer Olympics were taking place in Los Angeles,one of the cablenetworks aired a documentary of the 1936 Games held in Germany, which for Cultural Marxist propaganda purposes are now known mainly for the exploits of Jesse Owens even though the evil Aryan Germans did indeed dominate the medals count. Atone point ablack American sprinter was shown running and the narrator of the old documentary referred to him as "the giant American Negro." My friend and I cracked up when he said that and it's always stuck with me.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The headlines certainly are hilarious today, but I must imagine they put fear in quite a few whites back in those days. If some of these giants could disarm four police officers imagine what they could do if they ever entered the home of a white family.
Edited by: whiteathlete33

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I like the one that says the Negro was 7-2, 220 pounds. That was probably considered an almost average weight for someone of that height back then. How our society has ballooned in weight.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
7'2 and 220 lbs is extremely skinny. Shawn Bradley, who was called a twig, was 7-6 and 275lbs. I can only imagine what this "giant" negro must have looked like. Any NBA player over 7 foot these days is close to 300lbs or more.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I'm 6'-1" and I weigh around 200lbs. I'm a bit muscular but not fat. I could certainly get up to 220 without becoming fat. I'm sure this "giant negro" looked like Manute Bol.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah 7-2, 220 is very skinny today, but 100 years ago he was a "giant." You don't see any references to him being skinny, just big. Generally, people just didn't carry the weight on them back then that they do now. The average weight for a WBTS soldier of my height was 130 pounds, tops. I have a hard time imagining myself being that light.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
...as opposed to White giants like Robert Wadlow (8'11, 485), Bernard Coyne (8'4), Leonid Stadnyk (8'4, 440), Ted van der Parre (7'0, 350...WSM competitor) & Mills Darden (7'6 1000 lbs).