Gaylord Perry R.I.P.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sad news. Gaylord Perry was a legendary pitcher, perhaps best known for "allegedly" throwing a spitter. He won 314 games, 17th on the all-time list.

Like another 300 game winner, Phil Niekro, Gaylord had a brother, Jim, who as a very accomplished pitcher in his own right. RIP

white is right

Hall of Famer
Gaylord Perry was a Hall of Fame pitcher who won two Cy Young Awards over the course of his 22-year career.

Perry had a 314-265 record with 3,534 strikeouts in 22 years seasons.

What I remember about Perry were his cards from the late 70's that I have/had a few(I haven't looked at the cards in years) and he was a Methuselah figure in baseball who aged like fine wine who won a Cy Young at the age of 40. He also pitched into his mid 40's and had a rubber arm as he was a pitcher that could soak up innings a lost art in this pitch count era. I think he pitched into his mid 40's because of the poorer salaries of his prime years but without his longevity he is probably a nearly man as he was more of a very good player but he was able to achieve the magical 300 win total.

I seem to recall he filed for bankruptcy after his career and had to sell off his farm and worked as a pitching coach/manager at the collegiate level of the game and in recent years was a signer at autograph shows but if you didn't know who he was you wouldn't recognize him as he had a thick walrus mustache. Sad news, RIP.