Votes: 0 0.0%
  • at least $5.00

• too worried to think about it

• Total voters

Menelik

Mentor
My round trip back and forth to work is about 10 miles daily. Even though I don't have far to travel I am careful about my gas mileage. Living in the country though I don't have many choices or other transportation alternatives. I keep hearing about gas prices reaching $10.00 per gallon before this decade is out. What do you guys think?

High Gas PricesEdited by: Menelik

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't know how high the gas prices will go for us by the end of 2009. I do know it is wise to get out of any and all debt, get a vehicle that gets good gas mileage, get some gold and/or silver, and make sure you have a reliable firearm or two.

LabMan

Mentor
One of the ways that the American population can be controlled is to contain them,keep them at home.the gas situation is just another way to do that,DUI,and seatbelt check points,horrific traffic projects,a 10% drink tax,in Pa.,and the rising cost of eating out have all beaten down the American public,to where it's easier to stay home.

Want to go longer distances?,try flying,I don't have to list the situations that have taken a pleasant experience,and turned it into a nightmare,no one knows if we will suffer another attack,but if we do,and martial law is declared,it will be easier to control and contain our population if we are home.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Menelik said:
My round trip back and forth to work is about 10 miles daily. Even though I don't have far to travel I am careful about my gas mileage. Living in the country though I don't have many choices or other transportation alternatives. I keep hearing about gas prices reaching $10.00 per gallon before this decade is out. What do you guys think?

High Gas Prices
You got that right public transportation is abysmal in most cities/suburbs or America. It seems like if the city isn't NYC, the only people that take PT are people that can't afford a car.....
smiley36.gif
Edited by: white is right

Kaptain

Master
Gas is just like wheat, corn, tires, steel, iron, gold, platinum etc. It's just inflation to the extreme. We are in the process of the last step of succombing to complete and udder control - by poverty. You know, the way smart inventive people like the Chinese and Russian have succombed in the past. It's our turn now I guess.

This massive inflation thing is just a sneaky way to bring us to poverty quickly. People think they are doing OK when they get a 5% annual raise - most don't realize (even though its obvious) that the real inflation rate is actually about 20% and rising. Does anybody really think the money controllers didn't know this was going to happen. Heck, they planned the whole darn mess.

Our government and media (least I repeat myself)continues to tell us the lie of single digit inflation. I'm sure most or all castefootballers know that food and energy is not part of the government's inflation calculating. They do, however, believe it or not, include labor costs (our wages) as a major factor of inflation. That's right, according to the government, if our wages go down then we have less inflation! Walla, problem solved. Next step will be to lower our wages to combat inflation. What a world. Edited by: Kaptain Poop

Kaptain

Master
Colonel_Reb said:
I don't know how high the gas prices will go for us by the end of 2009. I do know it is wise to get out of any and all debt, get a vehicle that gets good gas mileage, get some gold and/or silver, and make sure you have a reliable firearm or two.

I bought two honda civic hybrids this spring myself. I will also get a tax credit of 1,050 dollars on each car. I used to own a 1991 honda CRX HF (high fuel) that got 50 mpg - 5 to 10 mpg higher than any current hybrid on the market. What happened to technology advancements?

Anyway, Reb I agree with everything you say except to pay off debt. If the interest rate is low enough on the debt or even if you can borrow at a low rate and speculate I would much rather buy real money (precious metals) than paying off paper dollars that are becoming cheaper and cheaper to find. This is the basic reason I believe nearly all banks are headed for disaster. At low interest loans even if the loan is not defaulting, the bank will recieve paper dollars in payment that are worth much less than they were on the orginal loan year. In other words, get your hands on real money any way you can as soon as you can.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Kaptain, I agree that getting hard money should be a goal, but what good is it if you get thrown in jail over your debts?

Kaptain

Master
Colonel_Reb said:
Kaptain, I agree that getting hard money should be a goal, but what good is it if you get thrown in jail over your debts?

Just get debts you can easily pay back. No reason to go to jail. Besides, they're going to have to throw a lot of people in jail pretty soon for defaulting on loans. Normally, I would never advise running any sort of debt, but we have rather strange economic conditions right now. The market is encouraging debt. Most people buy junk with their debt and have trouble paying it off. We're smarter than that.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Colonel Reb wrote:

"I do know it is wise to get out of any and all debt, get a vehicle that gets good gas mileage, get some gold and/or silver, and make sure you have a reliable firearm or two."

I definitely agree with getting out of debt and having some investments in precious metals. This is the route I took a number of years ago. I think we discussed this in detail on a thread started by Dixie Destroyer earlier this year.

I don`t know how much longer I will live in Japan, but one of the things that is good about living here is the dependable public transportation system. It`s too bad that most Americans don`t have access to the same things.

Is "a firearm or two" sufficient? Or do you think people should be more heavily armed to protect the family and possessions? I`m not trying to be smart*ss; it just sounds like things are getting worse overall, and the sh*t might really hit the fan in the next year or two from all I`ve read on this site and others this year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Van_Slyke, I'd rather people have a veritablearsenal, including a .50 cal, but some people who post here don't even own a gun, so I'm trying to appeal to their sensibilities. Plus, depending on the size of your family and property, one or two dependable guns is all you may need. You can only shoot one at a time, and you can't carry a bunch of them around on your person for long periods of time. As long as you have a good supply of ammo, one or two might be enough for some people. If you live in a rough area, you might want to prepare with more. You basically need at least one that you can hunt with andone you can defend yourself with. If you have a large family, you can use The Patriot idea, training your sons and daughters to shoot and making sure they have a gun they can use.

Kaptain, I see what you are saying, but I still feel strange having debt. I won't feel safe until I'm totally free from it. I actually talked about getting hard money in my class last week, as we were discussing the economy and our monetary system.

GWTJ

Mentor
I'm not that worried about gas prices. When I started driving in 1977, gas cost about .75 to .80 cents per gallon. I now pay $3.80 per gallon. The price of gas has quadrupled in 30 years. Is that so unreasonable? Doesn't everything cost 4 or 5 times more than it did in 1978?

Of course, salaries have only tripled since then so we are making less money, relatively speaking.

I also feel that the surge in gas prices is hurting any and all businesses much more than it is me. I can adjust by getting a car with better gas mileage and driving less. What is a bread company to do when it has 100 trucks going out every morning? Perhaps smaller, more local businesses will be able to out price the big companies who have had the volume advantage.

I do agree about owning a gun and I do see me getting one in the not too distant future. The kids are old enough now.

whiteCB

Master
GWTJ said:
I'm not that worried about gas prices. When I started driving in 1977, gas cost about .75 to .80 cents per gallon. I now pay $3.80 per gallon. The price of gas has quadrupled in 30 years. Is that so unreasonable? Doesn't everything cost 4 or 5 times more than it did in 1978?

Of course, salaries have only tripled since then so we are making less money, relatively speaking.

I also feel that the surge in gas prices is hurting any and all businesses much more than it is me. I can adjust by getting a car with better gas mileage and driving less. What is a bread company to do when it has 100 trucks going out every morning? Perhaps smaller, more local businesses will be able to out price the big companies who have had the volume advantage.

I do agree about owning a gun and I do see me getting one in the not too distant future. The kids are old enough now.

Good points. A lot of people got comfortable with the low gas prices of the 1980s-early 2000s. After that long of a time with the price not ever really going up that far people just thought that gas would always be cheap. The main reason for the spike in gas prices is the DEMAND INCREASE. China and India are the two main culprits. These countries are ordering more oil than ever now and the oil companies aren't drilling more oil to keep up with the demand. Hence higher prices. China actually has a higher GDP than America right now and they need oil to keep up with their extremely high production of goods and the fact that more and more people over there and in India are now driving cars as opposed to 10-15 years ago.

Also as a boater these gas prices will put a little damper on my summer. Gone are the days where you could just take the boat out on the lake whenever you felt like it. Now it costs mucho dinero to take out the Fountain.
smiley19.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
GWTJ said:

Yes, but in 1972-3before the oil crisis, gas averaged only about 35 cents, and when I was ateenagerpumping gas in the late sixties it was .20 something cents. Last week I gassed up at 4.19 /gal.

G

I buy precious metals and energy stocks to hedge against the rising prices. For me higher gas prices usually means more $ in my brokerage account. I also buy as much gold and silver as I can with my credit cards. Debtors prison wont be a problem till after the credit card companies go belly up. Hoards of people will have to walk away from debt first. This is already just starting to happen.

white is right

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
GWTJ said:

Good points. A lot of people got comfortable with the low gas prices of the 1980s-early 2000s. After that long of a time with the price not ever really going up that far people just thought that gas would always be cheap. The main reason for the spike in gas prices is the DEMAND INCREASE. China and India are the two main culprits. These countries are ordering more oil than ever now and the oil companies aren't drilling more oil to keep up with the demand. Hence higher prices. China actually has a higher GDP than America right now and they need oil to keep up with their extremely high production of goods and the fact that more and more people over there and in India are now driving cars as opposed to 10-15 years ago.

Also as a boater these gas prices will put a little damper on my summer. Gone are the days where you could just take the boat out on the lake whenever you felt like it. Now it costs mucho dinero to take out the Fountain.
smiley19.gif
I remember going out to a marina years ago (about 20) and seeing the prices double what it was at pump. I shudder to think what they cost now....
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

Kaptain

Master
What will the banks and credit card companies do with all that bad debt? Well they are already cutting deals with consumers in the hope that they at least get part of the debt back. I would hestitate to pay off a low-interest fixed loan or spending every ounce of your earnings into getting out of every cent of bad debt. You can work to cut deals that won't effect your credit ratings. Credit ratings will be a thing of the past anyway. Banks will just ask for money down instead (like they should have) and have higher interest rates.

Banks artificially inflated home prices as well as everything else. No reason that when prices come down we have to spend the rest of lives trying to pay off a house that was artificially inflated. Many people are already just walking away from upside-down morgages and more will soon come. I'm not into letting irresponsible banks or consumers off for bad decisions, but I definetly wouldn't unneccessarily punish myself because I'm too proud. The bankers sure as H@ll won't punish themselves.

Bronk

Mentor
I, too am old enough to remember gas at 35 cents a gallon. Too bad I wasn't old enough to drive then!

Poop is right, you can negotiate your debt with the banks and settle up for pennies on the dollar. Pols do this regularly via their campaign debts.Edited by: Bronk

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
It's all about the Elite keeping the middle class pliable and under their thumb while repaying their brethren in Big Oil and providing fodder for their controlled "Green" movemement. We've been totally sold out on multiple levels, but mostly by the many traitors in DC!