Free Vegas Bouts

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There was a combined boxing-MMA event in Las Vegas last night. I'm not a follower of MMA (yet) but tickets were free so I went with a couple of guys who like these sports.

There was four boxing matches followed by four MMA matches. ESPN was there to televise it and the hype was that 18,000 fans were going to be there to watch. It looked more like 4,000 to 5,000 to me, not a good turnout on a Friday night for a free event.

The boxing matches were all heavyweight fights. The first was between a Polish boxerand a Mexican. The Pole was in great shape while the Mexican was so obese he made Butterbean look cut by comparison. The Pole won easily 40-36.

Unfortunately the next three fights were all black vs. black. Obviously the news that whites are the dominant heavyweight fighters continues to be ignored. These guys ranged from in half-decent shape to horrendously out of shape. All were 250 pounds and above except for the last fight, which featured a 214 pounder vs. a 285 pounder who had man boobs that flopped around in a grotesque manner.

None of them had decent defenses and much of the time were content to let time lapse doing very little until the crowd would begin booing loudly, which often would spur them on to some entertaining exchanges.

The MMA fights ranged from bantamweight to heavyweight. They all featured a fighter from Couture Extreme's stable in Vegas against someone else. Randy Couture's wife (or maybe daughter, not sure which) was the featured bout against a much shorter girl from San Diego. Kim "Sugar Free" Couture didn't have the slightest clue how to defend against punches and was freely pummeled until she could take the smaller girl down,with the smaller girl ending up winning on points.

The last match was the only black vs. white affair. John Alesio easilytook outhis opponent in the second round.

MMA is one tough sport. And bloody too -- I was quite suprised that no one mopped the mat in between matches. The contestants were covered in their own blood as well as those of previous combatants, very surprising in this age of HIV precautions. Kim Couture's blond hair was as much red as yellow by the end of her bout.

Besides the mostly black boxers, the promos shown on the overhead scoreboardsduring the boxing matches for the upcoming MMA fights, which were clearly the main draw, continually showed the same loop consistingpredominantly of black fighters punching prone and defenseless white fighters in the face to the point of unconsciousness. Nothing subtle there at all, though most white people there probably never thought twice about it.

patriot

Guru
I heard most of the fighter sucked. The reason is most of them are just local Vegas sparring partners and not considered legit fighters. Really Xtreme Couture many very talented white fightrs training with them.Fighters such as Mike Whitehead 205, Dave Jansen 155, Martin Kampman 185, Gray Manynard 155, and Alex Schoenauer 185. Plus they have fighter such as Forrest and even Tim Sylia sometimes. Really the only black guy who is even remotly legit at Xtreme Couture is IFL middle weight Jay Heron.
As for the fight the only two people that will have prolific careers in MMA Where WEC fighter John Alessio 170 and 155 Dave Jensen, who both had victories.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Most of what I've read elsewhere on the net about this event concurs with Don's opinion of it. Kim Couture's jaw was broken in the first round. Split at the chin. Pretty gruesome. But she hung in there and made it to a decision loss, props to her.

In states that have sanctioning bodies (like Nevada), all the fighters are tested for bloodborne pathogens like HIV and Hep C prior to the fight.