Folks new puppy is really a "biter"

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Damn, man, I went to greet "it".. and it was attacking my ankles/calves and I put my hand down to try to make it stop.. and it sliced me, clean, across the palm of my right hand with it's teeth.

It was like a dreaded paper-cut, but deeper. When I was washing-out the cut, it was rather painful.

The dog looks like a blonde labrador, but it's supposedly part-Beagle. It's eyes look demented. I do call the dog "it" -- and my mom doesn't like that... Oh well. Has anyone else had to deal with a puppy that won't listen?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
How old is the puppy? It's most likely teething right now and yes it's going to bite your ankles and everything else. My beagle was like that when he was a puppy but at one year of age he got much better. It takes time.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Wear a Micheal Vick mask next time you visit, that'll scare it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Wear a Micheal Vick mask next time you visit, that'll scare it.

Ha ha ha ha!!!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Funniest post of the day, jaxvid!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
How old is the puppy?  It's most likely teething right now and yes it's going to bite your ankles and everything else. My beagle was like that when he was a puppy but at one year of age he got much better.  It takes time.

3 months old.

Sometimes it is mellow, but, when it's wild, it's like a vampire!
smiley18.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I don't know if you have any dog parks around you but you should take him there if you do. The dog will get socialized with other dogs at a young age and get some of that energy out.

Kaptain

Master
Well the old farmer rule is to give em a good kick or a twist of the nape of the neck-skin. The puppy is a little young for a kick, but he can still be taught with authoritative voice and nape grab causing a yelp. They learn quick and it doesn't really hurt them.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Deadlift, how much proper walking is your puppy getting? and i'm not talking about it just running around outside doing its own thing, i mean you walking it while making it follow you like it is supposed to. walking behind the pack leader (in any owner-dog relationship, the owner should be the pack leader) like this is a big part of the natural discipline and mental state of all canids. in addition to providing exercise,proper walking reinforces the pack hierarchy and helps maintain proper behavior.

if you aren't walking the puppy (or grown dogs, for that matter) properly, it is more likely to develop negative behavioral issues.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Jimmy,

If you are talking about walking the dog on a leash, and teaching it lessons when appropriate, that will be happening very soon.

BTW, everybody, it's a girl dog and it weighs 9-pounds! It is a pretty dog.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
Jimmy,

If you are talking about walking the dog on a leash, and teaching it lessons when appropriate, that will be happening very soon.

BTW, everybody, it's a girl dog and it weighs 9-pounds! It is a pretty dog.

One thing I'll tell you is that beagles are extremely stubborn dogs. Mine certainly is and everyone I have spoken to with beagles says the same. Beagles are also difficult to toilet train. I don't know if you'll have that issue since your dog is only part beagle.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
having been around various working breeds of dogs my entire life (and having a father who was known far-and-wide for his excellent pack of rabbit-hunting beagles),i can tell you that beagles simply aren't very intelligent. there are exceptions, of course, but as a general rule what most people consider stubbornness is, in fact, simply an un-intelligent beagle. compare them to, say, a border collie. or a better example would be a blue heeler. now they are intelligent but incredibly stubborn and independent. conversely, a beagle is just a lovable dim bulb behind an excellent nose.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
having been around various working breeds of dogs my entire life (and having a father who was known far-and-wide for his excellent pack of rabbit-hunting beagles),i can tell you that beagles simply aren't very intelligent. there are exceptions, of course, but as a general rule what most people consider stubbornness is, in fact, simply an un-intelligent beagle. compare them to, say, a border collie. or a better example would be a blue heeler. now they are intelligent but incredibly stubborn and independent. conversely, a beagle is just a lovable dim bulb behind an excellent nose.

Very true Jimmy! Beagles are third from last on the intelligence charts. My beagle is a very sweet and loving dog but extremely high strung. The house I moved into now has a huge fenced in property. Yet the little rascal can't be trusted because he climbs over the four foot fence and chases cats. Last time I damn near had to run after him to the next town over.

Deus Vult

Mentor
Yeah, those pup teeth are like needles! Grab her by the nape of the neck and smack her in the nose every time she tries to bite. But understand, what she is doing is perfectly natural. Domestication of our four-legged friends means we teach them to suppress their nature to our commands and expectations. We are the alpha dogs.

Get her some proper chew toys, too; or, the temptation to destroy your stuff will be just too great. Kong Balls are great! You can fill them with peanut butter or cheese, and dogs will gnaw and lick on them for hours!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Deus Vult said:
Yeah, those pup teeth are like needles! Grab her by the nape of the neck and smack her in the nose every time she tries to bite. But understand, what she is doing is perfectly natural. Domestication of our four-legged friends means we teach them to suppress their nature to our commands and expectations. We are the alpha dogs.

Get her some proper chew toys, too; or, the temptation to destroy your stuff will be just too great. Kong Balls are great! You can fill them with peanut butter or cheese, and dogs will gnaw and lick on them for hours!

Great suggestions! She does have several chew toys, and a cage for when she gets too uppity.. she will often sulk and then nap when put in the cage.

She really likes to explore her surroundings and likes to fetch. She can be quite stubborn, but I think she's already learning some things. A little ball of energy!