Felix Sturm vs. Randy Griffin

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
WBA Middleweight titleholder Felix Sturm will fight his mandatory, Randy Griffin, in a WBA Middleweight title fight on this coming Saturday, Oct 20.

G

Felix Sturm is a 2nd/3rd tier fighter at the championship level. If he wins/loses it will have little impact on his status. If Randy Griffin is black and Felix wins it is always a plus. But what Felix needs to do to make an impact and some money is fight the other European chamap Art Abraham. I suspect that he would get blown out by Abraham, but at least he had the courage to fight a notable fighter and lose.

A fight between Pavlik and Abraham would be interesting. Pavlik would have to bring his A game and be careful of Abraham's power and heart. I suspect that Pavlik could win on a decision. It is by no means a gimme fight. I look forward to the middleweights unifying the championship.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Felix Sturm is actually a very skillful boxer. He was robbed on a deserved win over Oscar de la Hoya (the whole fight is on YouTube).

I'm hoping he will defeat the negro Randy Griffin, so that whites retain all the titles at middleweight.

. Edited by: JD1986

G

Like I said Felix is a 2nd/3rd tier fighter on the Championship level, which is pretty good. However, I do care how skillful he is. If he fights Pavlik or Abraham, he will have a difficult time on his hands. I see him getting knocked out in both. Regarding De la Hoya fight, yeah he could have got the nod. But he was fighting a natural welterwieght who came up from 130 lbs! Felix should have KO'd Oscar within 5 rounds but he couldn't. I hope he wins his next fight and steps up to the next level.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Kukulcan said:
Regarding De la Hoya fight, yeah he could have got the nod. But he was fighting a natural welterwieght who came up from 130 lbs! Felix should have KO'd Oscar within 5 rounds but he couldn't.

Yeah, Sturm should have KO'd that Golden Boy for sure, seeing how De La Hoya has been KO'd only once his entire career.

JD074

Master
Kukulcan said:
If he fights Pavlik or Abraham, he will have a difficult time on his hands. I see him getting knocked out in both.

Sturm losing to another White fighter isn't a big deal, from a Caste perspective. I wouldn't care too much about the winner of Sturm/ Abraham, and I would definitely be rooting for Pavlik in Sturm/ Pavlik. However, Sturm losing to Griffin would suck. He may not be the best, but he's a White champion, nonetheless.

JD074

Master
Amren.com said:
Any idea if this fight can be seen live anywhere?

Apparently the Holyroid fight will be played on ESPN at 8pm case anyone is interested.

Thank you very much for that! I could've missed it.

And apparently they're showing the Kirilov fight at 9 pm.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
The fight was ruled a draw - one judge scored it even, one scored it for Sturm, and one South American black judge scored the fight for Griffin. So Sturm retained his title, although there will likely be a rematch.

White boxers still have all the titles at middleweight!

smiley32.gif

I like Sturm. However there is a new middleweight king that is destined to own ALL the belts. His name is Kelly Pavlik. From a caste perspective the fight means little. However for the legacy of Pavlik it would be big. Just imagine, "THE GHOST" coming in the ring with all four belts. Unified, (not Linear) UNIFIED!

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Sturm vs. Griffin II will be starting soon.

Hungarian super middleweight Karoly Balzsay (19-0, 14 KO, age 28) defeated his opponent Jose Clavero (28-6-1) by 5th round TKO. Here's another good white fighter for us to root for!
smiley32.gif

Denis Boytsov (21-0, 18 KO, age 22) is fighting journeyman Fernely Feliz on this card today.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Griffin holding and hitting a alot but Sturm countered him beautifully in round 2. I have a feeling Sturm might score a flash knockdown. 2-0 Sturm

Blue Devils

Mentor
Griffin outworked Sturm in round 3 but Sturm landed the more effective, cleaner shots. Sturm 3-0 Close round

Blue Devils

Mentor
Sturm worked his piston-like jab in round 4. Griffin's throwing more but his shots are landing on the gloves. 4-0 Sturm

Blue Devils

Mentor
Same thing in round 5. Griffin throwing more but hitting the gloves. Sturm very impressive so far. 5-0 Sturm although round 3 could have went either way.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Close round Sturm looks fatigued. I hope we don't see another Castelljo. Griffin round. 6-2 Sturm

Blue Devils

Mentor
Sturm jabbed more and took this round. Looks tired as hell though
smiley5.gif
7-2 Sturm Edited by: shawn1262231