Fedor V. Hunt NYE!

Poacher

Mentor
Fedor Emelianenko will defend his PRIDE HW title against Mark Hunt this New Year's Eve at PRIDE'S "Shockwave."

Hunt is the logical choice right now. Barnett and CC are more deserving of a shot but Barnett is exhausted and CC, I believe, is having ankle surgery (or has already had it).

As for the fight...Fedor won't be knocking out Hunt who's chin is legendary. If CC's LHK and Silva's fists couldn't do it then I doubt Fedor's right hand can. But it won't matter. If Fedor decides to remain standing he will bloody Hunt badly and win a UD. If he takes it to the ground he will sub Hunt easily. Either way Fedor retains his title and faces CC sometime in early '07. Then, if he wins, he can face a rested Barnett. If he wins both of those matches he will stand astride the MMA world as a living legend, which many believe him to be already.

WAR FEDOR!

WPWW

Poacher said:
If Fedor decides to remain standing he will bloody Hunt badly and win a UD.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Hunt a former K1 champ? Why would Fedor want to stand with that?

If Fedor establishes the takedown early, he may make Hunt tentative about committing too much, but why stand and throw with the best MMA has to offer? And could he even dominate Hunt standing?

Fedor by brutal GROUND and pound.

Poacher

Mentor
People were making the same arguments when Fedor fought Nog..."Fedor better keep this one standing...Nog's too good on the ground." And what did Fedor do? He crashed into the Brazilian jiu-jitsu master's guard time and again with impunity and was never in any danger. People said the same thing when Fedor fought Goodrich, "goodrich is a better striker...Fedor better not try to strike with him, etc, etc..." What did Fedor do? He stayed on his feet and out-struck the striker.

Fedor has faster hands and hits just as hard. But I admit he would be taking a chance in striking with Hunt just for the simple fact that Hunt has a monster chin.

My guess is that he will punch his way in, clinch, sweep and sub Hunt sometime in the second round.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I haven't heard if Fedor has pulled out, but I'm going to watch the UFC PPV anyway.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
It was an interesting fight. Hunt performed way better than I expected. Fedor went for an armbar early and Hunt rolled right into the perfect defense. He also managed a few escapes and had mount on Fedor for awhile. Hunt even attempted a kimura! Twice! Fedor never even looked pained and didn't even really put much (visible) effort into escaping.

We were joking at my house when Fedor went for the kimura on Hunt, that Fedor was telling Hunt:

"This is how you do kimura. You need to bring elbow in close <pop>, and then you tweest wreest like this <crack>, and theen you pool very hard." ARRGGGHHH!
smiley36.gif

I have to say, after again watching Pride and UFC events back to back.. the quality of fighters in Pride is still head and shoulders above most in the UFC. Those guys come out to bang. There is no tentativeness, probably because Pride will penalize a lackadaisical fighter 10% of his purse with a yellow card if he stalls or is too passive. Guys like Tim Sylvia would go broke or be DQ'd in Pride, the way they have been fighting lately!
smiley36.gif

Poacher

Mentor
Tough to rate Fedor's performance. Hunt is a tough SOB and he out-weighed Fedor by some 60 lbs. When he had Fedor on the ground all he really did was lay on top of him. That kimura attempt was pretty good...but Fedor was just laying there like "yeah dude whatever...." Fedor's punches didn't seem to have as much snap as usual, probably due to his broken toe. A broken toe will affect your balance and leverage. Trying to throw Hunt must be like trying to throw a refrigerator.

But in the end it was another 1st round victory for The Last Emperor. I Feel sorry for the next person he fights.

Shogun didn't look very impressive tonight. His stand-up wasn't that good.

On the night Takanori Gomi looked the most impressive imo.

I thought the Nog/ Barnett fight was closer than a UD. In all honesty I really believe it could have gone either way.

A great year for our guys in MMA and boxing. Here's to 2007!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hunt is a big man. Even so, Fedor still managed to sweep him and toss him around a bit, although he lost position upon hitting the ground a few times. Hunt's a tough guy, I respect Fedor for facing him in his first fight back from injury. I agree, Fedor's next opponent is in likely in some deep trouble.

I thought Shogun fought an impressive fight; however I was even more impressed with Nakamura. I don't know how many times I was shouting, 'Oh, that's it! He's done!' That guy escaped from so many sub attempts and bad positions it was literally amazing. But it's kind of a laugher how many people in MMA think that Shogun would beat Chuck Liddell with ease. I think Chuck would KO Shogun.

I didn't score the Nog/Barnett fight that closely. I thought Nog won the standup and was pushing the action a lot more, but I admit - I was on the phone for half the fight and may have not paid enough attention to get a real feel for it. Even some on the UG said Nog received a gift decision. But it was a great fight. What I like about Barnett is that he is always working for a sub attempt or setting up something for one. He doesn't just lie there on the ground.

There are some great matchups looming in the UFC this year. Should be a great year for MMA!

paladin

yet I had a feeling Fedor doesn`t have his usual balance and leverage, takedowns were not the dominant moves I expected. Whether physically or mentally, it seemed the toe injury effected Emelianenko`s performance