Fantasy Projections on ESPN

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised that no one has posted this. There are some outrageous stat projections for many of the affletes.

I think this thread is in the appropriate section as it will get more views.

The racial agenda gets more and more obvious when looking at the Tight End projections. For example, Owen Daniels' is projected to get a monstrous 888 yards, but only 4 TD's!! What gives?

Look at Tom Santi (Colts), he played in only a handful of games last year and had 1 TD and 64 yards receiving. If Daniels' stays healthy and gets 800+ yards, he WILL have more than a measley 4 TD's.

Seems like the Caste doesn't want Whitey to get TD's. They are very afraid of the idea, paranoid even.

Personally, I'm sticking to TE, and I'm going to break it down because there are actually White men playing this position:

Ranked

1st - Tony Gonzalez

2009 Outlook: Rarely has so much been accomplished so unwillingly. Gonzalez openly campaigned to be traded from the woeful Chiefs before the '08 deadline but nevertheless put up a massive statistical campaign, leading NFL tight ends in receptions, yards and touchdowns. Gonzo now has back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons (the third and fourth such campaigns in his career) and can bank on his ticket to Canton. But despite his great '08 and despite the team bringing in Matt Cassel and offensive-minded coach Todd Haley, Gonzalez still wanted out. So now he's in run-oriented Atlanta, where his numbers probably will dip a little. After all, the Falcons threw all of 30 passes to their tight ends last season. Still, Gonzo is so good, we can't help but keep him our No. 1 guy at his position.

Gonzalez "didn't do anything" until Tyler Thigpen was put in. That's the straight truth, and there's no mention of Thigpen in the above. They only mentioned Matt Cassel.

10th - John Carlson

2009 Outlook: We loved Carlson's potential as a second-rounder coming out of Notre Dame, and if you look past Seattle's offensive awfulness in '08, Carlson didn't disappoint. Sure, he produced only one 100-yard receiving day and had some predictable ups and downs as departed coach Mike Holmgren tried to knock some sense into his rookie head. But he scored five times, blocked very well and wound up with more catches, yards and scores than fellow rookie Dustin Keller. The hesitation we have when it comes to Carlson for '09 is the Seahawks' offense. With T.J. Houshmandzadeh in the fold to go with Nate Burleson and a cast of several other wideouts, we're concerned Seattle might go three-wide a lot, perhaps at the expense of Carlson. We still view him as a high-upside fantasy entity, though. Pay attention to Seahawks training camp to see how he's being used.

Another "inferior" White that doesn't know what the heck he's doing... Where's Seneca Wallace?

17th - Brent Celek

2009 Outlook: Celek enters his third year in Philly as a starting replacement for L.J. Smith, who moved on to Baltimore. Smith, as fantasy owners know, was a tease who rarely could capitalize on what seemed to be good chemistry with Donovan McNabb. Celek isn't the athlete Smith is, but he's far more consistent. In the 10 games (including the playoffs) he started in '08 because of Smith's miscellaneous issues, Celek caught 38 passes for 347 yards and four scores, which isn't bad. We all know Andy Reid doesn't mind the short passing game. Celek is a good backup fantasy tight end with sleeper potential in 2009.

35th - Todd Heap

2009 Outlook: In 2008, the good news was that Heap played all 16 games. The bad news was that he caught a shockingly low 35 passes. Heap used to be one of the league's elite pass-catching tight ends, but injuries have sapped him of his speed and shiftiness, leaving behind a big, able blocker but not much else. The fact that Baltimore signed L.J. Smith this spring should tell you all you need to know. This is not a name worth investing in for fantasy leagues.

Keep in mind, these projections are "presuming" that the athlete will stay healthy. In that context, why would he drop from 35 catches in '08 to 16 catches in '09? The above doesn't mention that Heap has excellent hands and is clutch.

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/tools/projections?display=alt&slotCategoryId=6

The Link to the TE's. Other positions can be accessed from there.

I realize that most of the black TE's are on the second and third page, but it would be naive of me to simply rubber-stamp the biases and subversive tactics of the Caste.

If Carlson and Shockey (and their QB's) stay healthy, I see 700 yards receiving for each of them. We already know that Jason Witten is a man and the media has acknowledged this, so I would say that Greg Olsen's write-up was the most favorable from ESPN. I think he won't meet those projections. I don't trust the Bears' O-line and their coaches.

Notice that there aren't any "new" Whites on the 2nd or 3rd page, but plenty of blacks that are going to "finally" break-out and even black rookies.

A few young Whites, and maybe a few veterans, could get 300+ yards receiving as a part-timer. The season is 16-games-long, after all. What do Caste Footballers' think?

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Well, Brad Cottam (Chiefs) is the only "new" White athlete in the top 45. He's ranked 32nd.

Rank

50th - Cornelius Ingram (EAGLES)

2009 Outlook: Ingram missed the 2008 season at the University of Florida because of a torn ACL, but contends that he was 100 percent healthy heading into Eagles minicamp this summer. He's a former quarterback with good hands, but he simply hasn't played football in a long time. Ingram figures to sit behind Brent Celek this year, though he's a far more athletic player, and a name to remember for the future.

Such an insult to one of God's chosen, apparently. Anyways, he tore his ACL again.

Celek has gone through his "racial apprenticeship" and the Caste already want him replaced. My GOSH!!

Kaptain

Master
From the site: Kevin Walter

"Folks have an image of Walter as a little guy who lives on Andre Johnson's leftovers. But this is a big player who was fifth in the NFL last year in red-zone targets with 24. (He scored eight touchdowns.) No, HE DOESN'T HAVE AJ'S SPEED, but he's a terrific complementary piece in one of the NFL's top 10 passing offenses. True, he'll probably get only about half the looks that Johnson will, which means he'll top out at 70 catches or so, but he can make those catches count. Opposing defenses will focus more and more on the headlining wideout (Johnson) in Houston, giving Walter more man coverage. We think his 2009 stats will look similar to 2008's."

Always the prerequiste line to remind all readers that we are talking about a limited slow white reciever when, in fact, Kevin Walter ran a 4.4 forty.

You never hear fast, medium speed, or even slow black recievers described in such terms. Could you imagine?: "No, he doesn't possess Nate Burelson's speed, but T.J. Housyourmommasdaddy should be a solid compliment to the Seahawks offense."

Kaptain

Master
"Celek isn't the athlete Smith is"

They ran the exact same forty time - 4.75. So what makes Smith a better athlete? Was he a ping-pong champion? Maybe he's a stronger swimmer.

BTW, How do you use the Bold on these forums? When I hit the B, the (B) goes to the end of the paragraph when I want to Bold a sentence in the middle.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Kaptain Poop said:
BTW, How do you use the Bold on these forums? When I hit the B, the (B) goes to the end of the paragraph when I want to Bold a sentence in the middle.

You have to highlight whatever you want to be in bold first before you hit the B.

I continually see Celek's supposed lack of athleticism mentioned. All the man does is catch the ball and then make yards after the reception. I guess if he often dropped the ball but looks great posing in the locker room with just his jock on then he too would be considered an "athlete."

Have to disagree with the comments on Gonzalez. He's been terrific a long time on good teams and bad (usually bad), no matter who the QB was.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Don's right on the money, as usual.
smiley2.gif

here's some more Celek highlights from his pro career.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Drew Brees is projected an insane 287 points this season. That is 18 fantasypoints a game and is the highest in ESPN. Here's to hoping he tears it up once again and gets Shockey more involved in his quest for 5,000 yards!Edited by: celticdb15

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I wasn't bothered by ESPN ranking Gonzalez #1. They mentioned Gonzalez wanting to get out of KC last year, and then they imply that Matt Cassel could get him the ball more. I don't see how. Also, ESPN falsely portrayed the situation. Gonzalez wanted out because the KC organization is a mess, and things won't be brighter anytime soon.

I wanted Jason Witten to finish last season as the #1 TE, so I certainly paid close attention when Gonzalez' numbers exploded in the latter part of the season (from Game 7 on).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1231

From Game 7 on:

8 TD's
3 100-yard-games
Only 2 games of less than 60-receiving-yards

In the John Carlson write-up, I highlited this portion - "Sure, he produced only one 100-yard receiving day." Lofty standards, and a typical back-handed comment. TE's/receivers' don't have total control of what their stats will be. Their job is to catch the ball, and Carlson only dropped a few passes last year.

If a TE gets 70 yards per game, that would add-up to 1120 yards over 16 games. In that light, I should have said that Greg Olsen will automatically reach the 802 yards projected this season, but I have my doubts because there are more factors than just his talent. He has to prove that he can stay healthy as well.

ESPN's "projections" doesn't seem to account for the fact that many players will miss at least 2 or 3 regular season games.

Here's Thigpen's Profile: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10660

He threw for 76 yards on 5 completions in Week 7, and was then entrenched for the rest of the season. Look at all that rushing stats. It must be the "tight-hips"..

That's why we are supposed to "forget" about him; He could throw and run, all while getting battered because of a terrible O-line.

In the Celek write-up, they wrote that McNabb and LJ Smith had this chemistry and repoire. But Thigpen (who was on the Chiefs last year unlike Cassel) was absent from the Gonzalez write-up. It makes one think.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm passionate about exposing ESPN.

Edited by: Deadlift

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
"Matty Ice" will certainly connect with Gonzalez a bevy of times this season. I'm hoping Finneran gets in the reception mix much more this year as well.

backrow

Hall of Famer
he did have a down year last season, and since it coincided with him coming back after the injury the media must have assumed it wasn't because he was asked to stay on the line and block... well, he sure showed that his skills didn't deteriorate none!